• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Disney Completes Purchase Of Marvel Entertainment

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
So does that mean that Wolverine will be squaring off with Goofy or Daffy Duck somewhere down the road? Perhaps a Marvel vs. Toy Story video game? Wow, endless possibilities...

jasonk282

Banned
FINALLY we get to see the Classic such as Sleeping Wolverine, Snow White and the Fantastic Four etc.....

Great! Does this mean The Jonas Brothers will be cast as the main characters in the next Fantastic 4 ?

They have messed up most of my favorite comic characters and ruined them so much in the last 15 years that I'm at the point I don't even care that much about stuff like this anymore. It's probably something I would have made the effort to get pissed off about in the past.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Robert Iger is smart enough to not rock the boat. Declining Disney revenues plus the recent Comcast deal meant his company had to make some kind of move. Let's hope the creation of Marvel-based movies will continue with frequency AND quality.

Well from my searching it looks like Disney is planning to let Marvel do its thing all by themself. Disney just gets to pick up some new property and cash. But if they mess up the characters more then they have been recently.... I am just gonna snap!!! NECKS THAT IS!

Seriously I hope that we get some good stuff out of the deal.

You guys are overreacting to this. Disney owns Marvel FOR THE MOVIE MONEY. And Marvel will gladly accept so that they no longer have a production cost cap. Now they can make a billion movies at insanely high budget production because they have BIG GUNS supporting them!

Plus Disney=Marvel, Marvel=Punisher, Punisher=STILL VIOLENT AS FUCK. :D So don't worry.

Again, Disney owns a whole BUNCH of shit. It doesn't bother me when they buy things, because for most things that they buy, they leave it alone and let it do it's thing, while raking in the cash. So good for Disney, it's the smart play.

You guys are overreacting to this. Disney owns Marvel FOR THE MOVIE MONEY

As of right now, yes. However, Disney is just like any other company, maybe worse in a lot of respects when it comes to things like this, and someday the Marvel movie money will dry up. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but someday there will also come a time Disney being what they are just won't be able to help themselves. Disney is neither above changing something to suit some social/political perspective they want no matter how much that might destroy it, and they definitely aren't above executive meddling when it comes to marketing or shameless promotion of something, especially if the profit margin on something turns south or isn't as big as they hope.

I could also point out that businesses don't just buy up properties unless they (or at least a person/people that own a non public company) have some special vested interest in them (unlikely in this case), think they can make more profit out of them than the current owners do, especially with already well established business, (Once in a while a business will get to buy something on the cheap because the previous owners want a quick cash out and want out of the business or just started up, but that isn't the case.) or need to use the new property in their own way because they have nothing else like it they can utilize.

Is Disney something anybody really thinks they can trust to keep from meddling with it for a long time?

A Marvel superhero themed amusement park?

Disney also owns ABC/ESPN. It's not like they put Minnie Mouse on Desperate Housewives or had Goofy interview Michael Vick. ;)

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
Chances are they will probadly build a Marvel themed amusement park. And in all honesty the purchase doesn't sound to bad. Unless they do a comics crossover that would blow.

Is Disney something anybody really thinks they can trust to keep from meddling with it for a long time?

Yes. Disney's not stupid enough to mess with Marvel. And why would they? That would be like pissing in the water you're about to drink.

This is probably the best thing that could happen to Marvel and Disney. Remember people, Disney already has all the Marvel cartoons airing on their cartoon channel, and they've been getting really good ratings for those, so Disney's been involved with Marvel way before this deal was even in talks.

Marvel needs a powerful company financially backing them up like how Warner Bros. owns DC, and Disney profits from the comics/movies/games/toys. Disney will probably also increase production of Marvel products to place in their amusement parks and stores, meaning Marvel will have more exposure. Disney will also end up not alienating the young male demographic like they've been doing in recent years.

Also from what I've heard Disney wants to start pushing some of the lesser known Marvel characters like Ant-Man and Dr. Strange, and that's never a bad thing IMO. Once the movie rights for Spider-Man, the X-Men, Blade, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four are up, I expect Disney and Marvel to re-claim them pretty quickly. At worst, the most you'll see Disney do with Marvel outside of what's been already mentioned is start making some Disney character comic books for the kiddies that are separate from the Marvel line. No big deal.