• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Did the democrats loose, on 11-3-2009?

Ok, sorry my bad, tuesday was an election day in the east. Where in Virginia, and New Jersey,(NEW JERSEY!) democrats lost elections! is George W. Bush to blame still?

First off, it's "lose" not "loose", sorry it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Secondly it isn't necessarily Obama's fault that they (the dems) lost those states but it could mean the undecided or independent voters aren't too happy with the way things are going with the president but remember, governors don't have much to do federally. They are governing their state not affecting our country. But the thing that normally democratic states are voting republican doesn't reflect well on the democratic party

is George W. Bush to blame still?
Why would Bush be to blame for Democrats losing? It's usually the other way around. Especially for Obama winning

First off, it's "lose" not "loose", sorry it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Secondly it isn't necessarily Obama's fault that they (the dems) lost those states but it could mean the undecided or independent voters aren't too happy with the way things are going with the president but remember, governors don't have much to do federally. They are governing their state not affecting our country. But the thing that normally democratic states are voting republican doesn't reflect well on the democratic party

Why would Bush be to blame for Democrats losing? It's usually the other way around. Especially for Obama winning

Why did they "lose" then?

Why did they "lose" then?

I don't live in either state and haven't really had a chance to keep up with it but maybe the democratic governors weren't doing the best job or they just thought the republican governors could do better even if the dem ones were doing okay. I try not to look at either party, rather I just see what the candidate as themselves and their own policies and I vote. I am a moderate so if I think a Republican is going to do better I'll vote for him and vice versa for Dems or any other party for that matter.

But it was probably due to the voters trying to show Obama that the dems need to do something. He has made a lot of promises, too many I think for just his first (and possibly only) term.

The answer is simple: too much change, too much government control, and too much debt coupled with not enough results and a bad economy equals a pissed-off electorate that blames whoever is in power. Maybe it's the start of a huge backlash in 2010 or maybe not, but for now, it is what it is.

iv6789

Closed Account
The pendulum always sways back and forth. In 2000, we saw a huge Republican upswing in result of the mid to late 90s Democratic upswing. Then in 2008, we saw it go the other way. It's only natural it will swing back in 2010.

It's not necessarily Obama's fault. If the rest of the Dems could get the sand out of their vag and actually do something instead of arguing, maybe people wouldn't be as angry. I think sitting around and debating some of these subjects is ridiculous. If you're going to do something, fucking do it already. That's how the Rep. have done it in the past.

Propose it, vote on it, and move on. Don't give a shit about what constituents want.

jasonk282

Banned
Ok, sorry my bad, tuesday was an election day in the east.

Tuesday is election day ALL OVER the USA. It's always the first tuesday of november. There is no east coast and west coast election day.

Jon Corzine lost the NJ governors race because he was the worst governor in NJ history (at least recent history).

The taxes he promised to lower, he raised. Property taxes remain the highest in the country. And the 40+ NJ Democrats that got busted a few months ago for massive corruption didn't help.

He was just a billionaire liberal who bought the elction first time around. He needed to go.

:cool:

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
^
What he said. Had nothing to do with Obama.

Likewise in Virginia, McDonnell just ran a much better campaign than Deeds did.

Owens (a democrat) won the hotly-contested 23rd NY Congressional race against conservative Hoffman and the last time I checked the public option was still up for debate so I don't really see any major shift in any direction....either due to or in spite of Obama. As far as Bush goes....he's no longer the president. Let it go and let's move on.

^
What he said. Had nothing to do with Obama.

Likewise in Virginia, McDonnell just ran a much better campaign than Deeds did.

Owens (a democrat) won the hotly-contested 23rd NY Congressional race against conservative Hoffman and the last time I checked the public option was still up for debate so I don't really see any major shift in any direction....either due to or in spite of Obama. As far as Bush goes....he's no longer the president. Let it go and let's move on.

Jagger's got the right idea. Move on please!

The 23rd NY result is more telling because it shows that the GOP is basically at a crossroads. How will they coalesce 2 distinctly different POVs in time for 2010? Wasn't this specific seat a GOP seat since the late 1800s? I thought I read that somewhere.

The only the Dems and Obama have to worry about is not getting anything done like they campaigned on...Healthcare reform, bringing troops home, "fixing" the Patriot Act, doing something with the Gitmo detainees...the list goes STILL goes on and on....

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
In the other races, I figured Corzine would win New Jersey and I was almost sure that the Conservative would win NY 23 (how could he not?). That's the one that really surprised me. Jersey goes back & forth between the parties. But NY 23 was supposed to have been a slam dunk, since they hadn't elected a Democrat in over 100 years.

But in VA, if the Democrat had won, it would have shocked me. We tend to vote the other party into office after Presidential elections. Overall, VA is an almost perfectly balanced state politically. A better candidate than Deeds might have made it closer, but McDonnell had this one. And if the Republicans recapture the White House in 2012, I expect the next Governor of VA will be a Democrat. That's just how we roll (a phrase I just never get tired of :rolleyes:).

no public option on health care, 2 govenors gone. at least

Don't forget the republicans who either joined the dems as did Arlen Specter or even Colin Powell who publicly supported candidate Obama as did McCain's daughter.

I think those governor races were just over local issues despite the hoopla, and agree that the republican party is splitting with the hard line conservatives drawing votes away from themselves. I also think people are more politically aware as a result of the failures of the Bush administration, and are tending democratic as a group.

Don't forget the racial majority will soon be latino voters, not a group the classic republican party of old white guys with connections ever cared about as a whole. Conservatives can demand US politics stay the same as ever, but the times are against them.

It's also my thinking that when the GOP chooses someone like Palin as a spokesperson and figurehead and not as someone with a lot of awareness of world history or current events, it's basically willing to choose a past playmate of the year next time if it thinks it will get the barely 18 vote.

But in VA, if the Democrat had won, it would have shocked me. We tend to vote the other party into office after Presidential elections. Overall, VA is an almost perfectly balanced state politically. A better candidate than Deeds might have made it closer, but McDonnell had this one. And if the Republicans recapture the White House in 2012, I expect the next Governor of VA will be a Democrat. That's just how we roll (a phrase I just never get tired of :rolleyes:).

I posted a budget chart sometime ago, which showed how the budget imbalance was coming down every time a dem was President, and going off the chart when a Pub was president. If you make promises while ignoring the damage to the budget you incur, the debt catches up with you, and if you tell people you have to face the fact of raising taxes to pay for those overruns, there is a clear tendency to vote the incumbent party out, back and forth. The US sorely needs a three party system.

Last edited:

jasonk282

Banned
. But NY 23 was supposed to have been a slam dunk, since they hadn't elected a Democrat in over 100 years.
here is the thing that people are missing about NY-23.

Scozzafava is a RINO(Republican In Name Only) she is in favor of abortion, gay marriage, tax increases, card check legislation favoring the labor unions, and ACORN and is endorsed by DailyKos. Also once she ended her campagine she went and endorsed Owens, NOT the conservative candidate. Does not sound like your typical GOP. There was a rumor that she was going to leave the GOP once elected anyway and pull an Arlen. yea the GOP wrong for endorsing her, YESSSSS!!!! and they paid for what could have be an easy win for Hoffman if they went that route. So while the Dems can rejoice about NY-23 the GOP needs to look at NJ and VA and solidify their party for 2010.

If I were an incumbent up for re-election in 2010, I would be shitting my pants now.