• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

College spending $60k to turn computer lab into 'safe space'

Santa Monica College will move forward with a plan to transform a popular computer lab into a social justice center despite a petition signed by hundreds of students.

According to The Stringer, the proposal to construct the Social Justice and Gender Equity Center was spearheaded by Dr. Nancy Grass, Dean of Student Life, and would cost a total of $500,000, including $60,000 for a “computer lab update.”

While a university representative told Campus Reform that students proposed to “update the outdated computer and technology” and repurpose unused space, Lee Peterson, the supervisor of the Cayton Lab, previously expressed his concerns about the proposal.

“The administration is basically demanding that the student government spend more money on anything that it has in the entire history of SMC, all at once, without any significant discussion,” he told the publication.

A letter from the Associated Students President shared on social media also explains that the proposal will “add a Safe Space for Undocumented Students, DACA Students, LGBTQ+ Community, Religious Practice, and many more.”

[RELATED: School crams social justice into fashion, data design courses]

As of press time, however, more than 330 people had signed a Change.org petition labeling the potential move “a huge waste of student resources” that will be “destructive to the community as a whole.”

“The computer lab offers free printing and internet access as well as computers to all students, and should not be removed. This petition seeks to ensure the preservation of the Cayton Center Computer Lab only,” the document states.

“If a safe space is necessary, then other accommodation should be found,” the petition continues. “It is morally wrong to take a program as valuable as the Computer Lab from all of us while at the same time using the student fees that we all paid to do so.”

Ben Kolodny, vice president of the school’s Small Gov Club and the author of the petition, told Campus Reform that despite student pressure, the Associated Students Board of Directors passed the measure unanimously on Monday.

“I and the former Associated students president were kicked out of the meeting illegally by a demand made by the sitting AS President,” Kolodny claimed, adding that “When I tried to come back in, police tried to bar my way.”

Kolodny also alleged that “public comment was not allowed” after the board introduced new information to the proposal, arguing that the action violated the Brown Act, a California law that is intended to protect public access to meetings of local government agencies.

[RELATED: Prof shares tricks for sneaking social justice into classroom]

“We will be filling a ‘Cure and Correct’ order and attempting to get this overturned,” he vowed.

A university spokesperson, however, insisted that “no one was removed from the Associated Students Board meeting and no students who left were denied entry to return.”

“Several students were disruptive, and were asked to be quiet,” the official maintained. “Some of these students left the meeting on their own, and later several of these students returned on their own to the meeting.”

On Sunday, Kolodny also noted that the website for the new social justice center had already been created prior to the Monday vote, and that a “plan to establish a gender equity center to serve all students” was listed as “Objective 3” of the school’s broad “Master Plan for Education.”

In a statement to Campus Reform, a college representative further explained that the initial concept for a gender equity center “came from students and faculty three years ago” and that the students later decided that a “Social Justice Center would best encompass the desired range of student needs.”

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10204

As of press time, however, more than 330 people had signed a Change.org petition labeling the potential move “a huge waste of student resources” that will be “destructive to the community as a whole.”

Wow! 300. That's about... 1% of SMC students.

A Computer Lab is useless since now, every college student brings his own laptop. Protesting the removal of the computer lab is like protesting the removal of a phone booth.

Try again, stupid

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Who needs a computer lab when you can have this?

Social Justice and Gender Equity Center

Millenials-NRD-990.jpg

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Santa Monica College is going to go be like University of Missouri.

The Communist protests have been a disaster for the University of Missouri.

Article

A computer lab is useful and needed and a safe space is useless and not needed.

Rey C.

I just read a bit about Santa Monica College. It's a 2 year community/junior college, and it apparently has an overall good reputation and a pretty decent STEM curriculum. But that area, specifically the math department, is said to be underfunded and understaffed in various reviews. The math department is housed in a series of trailers and only 40% of the staff is full-time? :nono:

I got mine and they got theirs to get, so I really don't care what these whiners do. They're being allowed to ruin the American higher education system, IMO, but... :dunno: But still, it seems like the administration would step in and turn this dead space into an expansion of the math department (rather than wasting time and money placating young adults who are too fragile and delicate to make it in the real world anyway), or create some sort of advanced technology center, utilizing the existing data lines.

And Johan, the average laptop will not run a good many of the advanced 3D modeling and CAD/CAM programs, like Top Solid, Esprit or FeatureCAM 3D. I would say that there are many other advanced software suites that will not run at optimal speed on the average laptop either. And besides that, the kids who want to participate in classes using this type of software probably aren't in a financial position to buy their own personal seat/license from say, AutoDesk, so they can have it on their laptops, even if they would run it. In a well outfitted lab, they could have full access to the software, as well as computers that could run that software at optimal speed.

How is that that a "social justice center" is being labelled as a "safe space"

First, what is a "social justice center" ?
I doubt it's some kind of shelter for people who gett bullied. I assume it's a place where these people can't find documentation on how to deal with bullying, where to find psychological support, etc, who you can contact if your parents don't want your under their roof just because you tolod them you're gay, what kind of help you can't find if you wanna stop drug, etc.
Only assholes would call this kind of place a "safe space", as if the people using it where cowards who can't face the harshness of life when it really is a place for people who want to face that harshness but need some help to overcome it.

Rey C.

When I was in college, such a place was just called Student Health. It included everything from physical to emotional concerns and counseling. And looking over the Santa Monica College page, they already have all of that and a LOT more:

Complaint Process
Child Care Services
Financial Aid
Health Services Center
Student Judicial Affairs
Tutoring Services
Undocumented Ally Program​
Black Collegians Program
CalWORKS
Career Services Center
Counseling Department
Disability Resources
First Year Experience
Latino Center/Adelante
Pico Promise
Social Justice Resources
The Center for Wellness & Wellbeing (Psychological Services)
Veteran's Program
Welcome Center
Crisis Prevention Team
Sexual Violence Response and Prevention

My goodness! Look at all that. We didn't have anything even close to that, and yet most of the people I went to school with have done OK. At some point, these 18-22 year olds at SMC are going to have to be prepared to walk & talk on their own, without the benefit of a nanny holding their hands.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
I would be happy to take all of those old computers off their hands.

Wow! 300. That's about... 1% of SMC students.

A Computer Lab is useless since now, every college student brings his own laptop. Protesting the removal of the computer lab is like protesting the removal of a phone booth.

Try again, stupid

when are you going to Answer my question in aprevious thread? why do you constantly post and runaway? not every students have the money to buy lap tops