• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

College Is a Waste of Time

I disagree that college is a waste of time. The problem is that a lot of young people go to college for the wrong reason and don't know what to do when they get there.

More than learning a bunch of facts, college teaches you how to learn, a habit that should last a lifetime.

:thumbsup: Great point. And being spoon-fed also.

I've noticed people who do go to college and get a degree in a certain field tend to work in something entirely different. Not all; but many seem to do that.

Meh, it seems college is just a babysitting place for 18-24 year olds, in general :D

The biggest misconception people have is that managers are supposed to be better at the nuts and bolts of the jobs their employees do than their employees.....it helps but is not necessary.

Also, in many fields....you can't even ascend to the level of manager without a degree. Certainly not upper and senior management.

In the overwhelming majority of cases a degree to an employer says more than you were educated in some discipline....it says you should have a well rounded knowledge base, it's an insurance policy for them that you have a core education in a field and most importantly...you had the discipline to achieve a goal.

In most cases, it says to employer consider someone for manager that the individual can put together a sentence and articulate a point when necessary...

That's my point.
perception is everything.
Most people just take the documentation at face value - don't question it, because its easier than doing their job.
despite the fact that me being competent than most in actuality makes their jobs easier, it's still work to them to have to explain that to their superiors.
it's easier to just wave a piece of paper.

That's my point.
perception is everything.
Most people just take the documentation at face value - don't question it, because its easier than doing their job.
despite the fact that me being competent than most in actuality makes their jobs easier, it's still work to them to have to explain that to their superiors.
it's easier to just wave a piece of paper.

But it's not a perception. Assuming a person has a legit degree, they have learned a field of study.

You're confusing learning a field of study for learning job. You don't learn a job in college....you learn a job in the field. Consistently so, in most cases you don't learn a field of study at a job...you learn how to do that job.

It's that way in almost any walk of life.

I disagree that college is a waste of time. The problem is that a lot of young people go to college for the wrong reason and don't know what to do when they get there.

More than learning a bunch of facts, college teaches you how to learn, a habit that should last a lifetime.

absolutely
I wanted to go to college - but the circumstances of my life prevented it.
but I have some very good friends of mine who went to college seriously - medical Professionals Scientists and Academics, they don't make the best pay in the world but they love what they do and all say the same thing, "it's easier than working", despite the fact they do get up every morning and go to work.
but even those who get a diploma for the wrong reason, still have a much easier time getting work.

any way you want to look at it a college diploma is a good thing to have.

But it's not a perception. Assuming a person has a legit degree, they have learned a field of study.

You're confusing learning a field of study for learning job. You don't learn a job in college....you learn a job in the field. Consistently so, in most cases you don't learn a field of study at a job...you learn how to do that job.

No I'm not.
I've been in the work force 15 years, worked at the same job for most of that time. a college student with a bachelor of arts will get the managerial position at a retail store over the guy who's worked there 5 years most of the time.
that piece of paper has allot of influence.
and quite a few college students by the condensed quick notes or pay someone to do there work, or study something easy (or think is easy).
that diploma has nothing to do with the job, what so ever, and the person applying is looking at the paycheck not weather or not they can do the job.
it's the grunts like me who's job it is to make them look good.
I know CPAs (Certified Public Accountants) that can't even use quick books, that earn around 85k a year.
now who do you think does the work? - definitely not them.

An education is the best thing someone can get. It better prepares a person to deal with the real world if you accept the facts that you are taught. Here's a nice tidbit from college day. Pay close attention to the questions:
The questions are: What is the connection between habit and moral character? and what is the connection between moral character and politics?
The Connection between the two are that thet both have their own belieths about certain things.
For and example my friend love butter pecan ice cream. But i hate butter pecan ice cream it taste nasty to me.
Their for we both have different taste for different things. What I might like she might dont like. She eats this ice cream every day.
She also love to bite her fingernails.

That is one thing I never liked and that was butter pecan pie. Every Christmas my grandmother had the habit of making butter pecan pie every year. Well we ate it every year even though we didn't like it. My thought was she baked this for the family and t least we could respect her and take a small slice. Her smile meant more then me not liking her pie. My morals are to make people smile and happy. If they go through the trouble of making something that makes them feel that they are doing something special. Then I will make sure they feel special by enjoying what they make,but I agree ewww at butter pecan pie
This is from a 2nd year college student.

iv6789

Closed Account
Seems to me those people that don't know jack about what they're doing in their trade and get promoted over the guy that didn't go to college, at least had the common sense to get their college education.

Because they knew it would help them climb the ladder and earn more mone.

So, my point being...if you decided not to go to college and think you're going to get the job over someone who did, maybe you're not really as smart as you think you are!

College here in America is way over priced.. That's why many are going to canada for college.

Seems to me those people that don't know jack about what they're doing in their trade and get promoted over the guy that didn't go to college, at least had the common sense to get their college education.

Because they knew it would help them climb the ladder and earn more mone.

So, my point being...if you decided not to go to college and think you're going to get the job over someone who did, maybe you're not really as smart as you think you are!

Exactly :thumbsup:

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Once upon a time, people actually went to college to expand their base of knowledge... it wasn't JUST about getting a job where you could make $X. And you can pick the right career and still do very well. I know auto mechanics who make close to six figures. I know machinists who make well into six figures some years. There are still jobs where you can do better than OK without a college degree - but there are fewer and fewer jobs like that with each passing year. And I don't know about anybody else, but I've never met a person who cried into his beer, "Man, I wish I hadn't gotten a college degree. That's where I fucked up. If I'd just skipped college, my life would be right where I wanted it to be!"

College is expensive and not everybody can afford it. But a lot of companies still offer educational assistance up to 100% of the cost, for employees who go back to school - as long as you have a passing grade, they'll pay. It's always surprised me how few people take advantage of that freebie.

If you can afford to go, but don't want to go... then don't go. No one is going to force you. There's probably ten kids in India for every American who doesn't see the value of a college education... and they're getting engineering, math and science degrees. You'll just wind up saying "yes sir" and "no sir" to them. Whatever... :dunno:

No I'm not.
I've been in the work force 15 years, worked at the same job for most of that time. a college student with a bachelor of arts will get the managerial position at a retail store over the guy who's worked there 5 years most of the time.
that piece of paper has allot of influence.
and quite a few college students by the condensed quick notes or pay someone to do there work, or study something easy (or think is easy).
that diploma has nothing to do with the job, what so ever, and the person applying is looking at the paycheck not weather or not they can do the job.
it's the grunts like me who's job it is to make them look good.
I know CPAs (Certified Public Accountants) that can't even use quick books, that earn around 85k a year.
now who do you think does the work? - definitely not them.

Wow. All I can say is you don't have as clear an understanding as you think you do on this.

Wow. All I can say is you don't have as clear an understanding as you think you do on this.

sorry but you live in a dream world.
the work environment does not run by an ideal clock work system.

sorry but you live in a dream world.
the work environment does not run by an ideal clock work system.

Hmm, I don't know you or much of your background but I going to think it safe to say your understanding of how the real world works as compared to mine is probably (at least) 5 times less. I don't say that to sound arrogant or condescending....but frankly I just think I've done more than you have (hell, than the average guy).

I've owned businesses, consulted to private businesses, worked for government agencies, consulted to them, worked in private sector businesses, worked internationally, been in the military, lived in every area of the US (north, south, east, west and midwest)..., etc.

The real world is this....having a degree places your career on a management path....not having one places your "career" or job history on a worker bee path which will most likely top out at some supervisor level or even first line manager depending on the field.

That's the cold, hard facts.

I've gone to college and quit. I know people who can't find a job even after finishing. I have nothing good to say about college. I learned a lot, but not in the way I was supposed to. All I got out of college is: debt!

Who knows? I may go back, but as for now I am happy with my life. I have enough money to live and have fun sometimes.

I've gone to college and quit. I know people who can't find a job even after finishing. I have nothing good to say about college. I learned a lot, but not in the way I was supposed to. All I got out of college is: debt!

Who knows? I may go back, but as for now I am happy with my life. I have enough money to live and have fun sometimes.

What were you hoping to get from college but debt if you quit?

I would say if you don't get the point of going to college yet...don't waste your money.

Fortunately I went to school on a scholarship...the school honored my scholly even after I got injured in practice.

But if you're paying for classes, books, etc....how does a person have to be otherwise encouraged to go, do the work and complete it?? I don't get that.

My reason to pursue a degree: You get laid at college.

I Got laid out of college I didnt need to pay more than 40,000 dollars hookers are cheaper buying a girl a drink is even cheaper than hookers.

I've noticed people who do go to college and get a degree in a certain field tend to work in something entirely different. Not all; but many seem to do that.

Meh, it seems college is just a babysitting place for 18-24 year olds, in general :D

Yup for the highschoolers who just want to get laid and drunk away from the watchful eyes of mommy and daddy.

I wanna know why you go to classes then have to do some internship why cant we just skip the useless class work and coloring books in college for some sort of work program where people learn on the job. I dont understand why I need to pay some dumbass professor who would rather indoctrinate their students with their own stupid beliefs rather than learn on the job.

Ive heard a saying: "those who cant do, teach"

teach this little phrase to students before they get out of middle school and this problem is solved: "half of knowledge is knowing where to find it"

college and the american hiring system is completly bloated and over done. I went back to school to see if I could do it, last year. I was bored out of my mind. I lasted 4 months. I felt like I was being taught shit I already knew I shouldnt know what Im being taught, Im paying good money for new knowledge. I just read about what I want to and im doing. I love the new job I have I would hate to sit behind a desk for 40 hours a week typing up TPS reports. I feel like im smarter than 90 percent of the guys I work with in my type of work but I like the job and a few dudes arent retards. I have noticed that even college educated assholes are half retarded because they walk around thinking to themselves all day "I have a college degree" and tend to miss major details even minor details Related to their job.

College is not for everyone, if you dont have any Idea what you want to do with your life; go to college. and I leave you with this: Fundamentals are a crutch for those without talent.

Sorry if any of the above is hard to read Im not college educated:D:thefinger

When interviewing that useless bit of paper somehow becomes of great importance..

Only because people Identify more with people like themselve and want to be surrounded by similar individuals, to themselves. Its an elitist system that doesnt always work.