• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

China : Don't hold Trump Taïwan mitake against him, he's just a kid, he doesn't know...

Why Trump's call to Taiwan may get a pass — this time — from China as a rookie mistake

President-elect Donald Trump on Friday broke with decades of U.S. diplomatic tradition in speaking with Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen, a seemingly innocuous call that started the relationship between two of the world's greatest powers on the wrong foot.

Trump's call, and the ensuing debate over its meaning, created an initial furor on both sides of the Pacific. Tsai's Democratic Progressive Party makes Beijing uncomfortable because of its official stance that Taiwan is independent and sovereign, rather than an extension of mainland China—the government's position that underpins the "One China" policy.
Yet foreign policy experts think the fallout on U.S.-Sino relations will be limited. Beijing is likely to attribute the move to inexperience — even as elements of the U.S.-Taiwan call were unorthodox in more ways than one.
"The call by itself and the potential for shift in U.S. policy to strengthen ties in Taiwan would create enormous anxiety in Beijing regardless of who is president," Bonnie Glaser, senior adviser for Asia at the Center for Strategic & International Studies, told CNBC.
"But with Tsai Ing-wen, a president seen as pro-independent and one that has not accepted the one China principle makes it even more alarming," she added.

As expected, the Chinese government was not happy with the news. China's Foreign Ministry issued a formal statement on the conversation, saying it had lodged "a solemn representation to the United States" over the call and echoing the country's Anti-Secession Law, "there is only one China in the world, and Taiwan is an inalienable part of China."

This initial reaction from Beijing seemed constructive, noted Barry Pavel, senior vice president and director of the Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security. He said that China seems to be saying that it understands that Trump's team "made a mistake and we're going to let it slide."
Lindsey Ford, director of Asian security at the Asia Society Policy Institute, agreed that Beijing seems to be taking a wait and see approach.
"People are going to give a bit of latitude to a new administration, but that will only last for so long," she cautioned.
"On things like our U.S.-China policy and sovereignty that are extremely sensitive issues, it would be a tremendous concern were we to suddenly change our position on something like this that has been a fundamental basic element of how we approach China for many, many years," Ford added.

'Not the way you want to start'

Following the news that Trump had spoken with Tsai, Ned Price, spokesman for the White House national security council said, "There is no change to our longstanding policy on cross-Strait issues."
"We remain firmly committed to our 'one China' policy based on the three Joint Communiques and the Taiwan Relations Act. Our fundamental interest is in peaceful and stable cross-Strait relations," Price said in a statement.
Ian Bremmer, president of the global intelligence firm Eurasia Group, said that the call was "not the way you want to start" a diplomatic relationship with China.
"Trump has been accepting calls of congratulations from everybody, without the focus on usual protocol and absence of regular intelligence briefs," Bremmer explained in an email to CNBC.
"He knows there's a problem between China and Taiwan, but unlikely thought taking a call would cause an international incident. That's just lack of policy experience… but it puts him in a very tough place with Beijing."

Threatening 'one China'

The DPP believes that the only way Taiwan's sovereignty could be changed is if the people voted on a referendum for that change. Beijing may be concerned that the call with Trump has emboldened Tsai to pursue Taiwan independence more actively, even if, so far, there hasn't been indication that she would do so.
Beijing "will fear this could be interpreted in Taiwan as a signal from the U.S. that the U.S. might support a pro-independence agenda," Glaser said.
Bremmer noted that had Taiwan's president been a politician from the Mainland-friendly Kuomintang Party, they "probably wouldn't have made the call, fearing potential Beijing fallout."

Damage to international relations?

Yet experts who spoke to CNBC agreed that the incident highlighted the fact that Trump's brand of improvisation, which served him well during the election, may not translate on the international stage.
Diplomatic interactions are normally tightly scripted because of how much word choice and optics matters, Asia Society's Ford said. Eurasia Group's Bremmer said that what this incident shows is that the president-elect "clearly needs a team of foreign policy professionals around him immediately."
He added: "You improvise around this stuff and U.S. national interests will be damaged."

Pavel said that it's fortunate that China seems to have given Trump a pass this time.
"The worst thing is if [China] took it as completely deliberate. It'd be the beginning of a downward spiral in the most important bilateral relationship in the world," he said.

CSIS' Glaser agreed. "This will be a wake up call for President-elect Trump about the importance of understanding the intricacies of foreign policy. I hope he draws some lessons from it."
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/03/why-...his-time--from-china-as-a-rookie-mistake.html

In other words, China acknowledges that Trump is just a child and they won't take that first incident to seriously. But Trump gotta grow and learn fast 'cause next time other leaders may not be as comprehensive.

The President of China is now treating the President of the US as if he was a child. What a disgrace !

Trump is the first president/president elect since the U.S. ceased recognizing Taiwan as a sovereign country in 1979 to ever speak with the Taiwanese Head of State. Of course China is going to pitch a fit. So Trump should continue to bow down like Obama has (literally) to the chinese communist leadership?

Fuck China. We don't have a pussy, mom jean wearing, college professor pontificating, social engineering, community organizing, navel gazing, leading from behind, America apologizing President anymore come Jan. 20.

Trump is the first president/president elect since the U.S. ceased recognizing Taiwan as a sovereign country in 1979 to ever speak with the Taiwanese Head of State. Of course China is going to pitch a fit. So Trump should continue to bow down like Obama has (literally) to the chinese communist leadership?

Fuck China. We don't have a pussy, mom jean wearing, college professor pontificating, social engineering, community organizing, navel gazing, leading from behind, America apologizing President anymore come Jan. 20.
Well said, It's about time were gonna have a president with a fucking spine.

I am gonna really enjoy the johan/mongo/Supa triumvirate of Trump Derangement Syndrome over the next 4 years.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Fuck China. I've never liked China other than their food and women, but I could say that about every other country, too. I hope Trump tells them to go fuck themselves.

I am gonna really enjoy the johan/mongo/Supa triumvirate of Trump Derangement Syndrome over the next 4 years.

I am really enjoying watching your idiot clown turn your country into a laughing stock. Under drumpf, America is going to become a parody of itself. There are lots of people suffering from trump derangement syndrome, but it's not who you think.

I am really enjoying watching your idiot clown turn your country into a laughing stock. Under drumpf, America is going to become a parody of itself. There are lots of people suffering from trump derangement syndrome, but it's not who you think.

and you were totally right about obamacare. mind your own fucked up country I want to visit and have aussome adventures in. If I ever get there, I'm going full outback and Indiana Jones.

Can we talk about that bone-spur thing that avoided him to be drafted to Viet-Nam when 300.000 young american citizens were sent to fight in that living hell ?

Also do you know what diplomacy means ? What's its purpose ? Why it's important not to antagonize other foreign leaders, particulary the one ruling the world's most populated country, the world's greatest economy, a key partner when dealing with the North Korean regime ?

When you're the President of the US, it's no big deal if you're not very apreciated by countries such as France, Brasil, Germany, etc. But there's a few countries you don't want to hurt the leaders :
- China (for the reason I've listed)
- UK : Most loyal ally
- Saudi Arabia : Very influent in the Middle East, you need to be allowed to use their bases in case you wanna do any war in that region. And they are very influent among the OPEC

and you were totally right about obamacare. mind your own fucked up country I want to visit and have aussome adventures in. If I ever get there, I'm going full outback and Indiana Jones.

But my country isn't fucked up. It's not perfect, there's always work to be done, but we have a stable, democratically elected government, something the USA is going to miss sorely in the coming years.

Besides, it's much more interesting to watch your train wreck of a country unfolding from a safe distance.

xfire

China has the world's greatest economy

Bullshit. As long as the $ is the world default currency, and it always will be, China will never have a stronger economy than the United States.

Can we talk about that bone-spur thing that avoided him to be drafted to Viet-Nam when 300.000 young american citizens were sent to fight in that living hell ?

Also do you know what diplomacy means ? What's its purpose ? Why it's important not to antagonize other foreign leaders, particulary the one ruling the world's most populated country, the world's greatest economy, a key partner when dealing with the North Korean regime ?

When you're the President of the US, it's no big deal if you're not very apreciated by countries such as France, Brasil, Germany, etc. But there's a few countries you don't want to hurt the leaders :
- China (for the reason I've listed)
- UK : Most loyal ally
- Saudi Arabia : Very influent in the Middle East, you need to be allowed to use their bases in case you wanna do any war in that region. And they are very influent among the OPEC

China needs to kowtow to us and not vice versa. Seriously, America first. fuck the rest.

But my country isn't fucked up. It's not perfect, there's always work to be done, but we have a stable, democratically elected government, something the USA is going to miss sorely in the coming years.

Besides, it's much more interesting to watch your train wreck of a country unfolding from a safe distance.

like you were right about obamacare.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
The Asia Society Policy Institute. A think tank. You know what they say about opinions and assholes. It's not about moving manufacturing to Taiwan, it's bringing it back to USA. I guess some people have a problem with this.

What difference, at this point, does it make? Trump will be atop the military chain of command. But unlike Obama who was a decorated combat veteran, right?

China needs to kowtow to us and not vice versa. Seriously, America first. fuck the rest.
Exactfuckingly, time to worry about our own. Fuck Em all and feedum fish heads. They need us waaaaaay more than we need them.

Trump will be atop the military chain of command. But unlike Obama who was a decorated combat veteran, right?

Unlike drumpf, Obama is intelligent, controlled, and with a sound knowledge of diplomacy and foreign affairs. Your boy is a precious snowflake who has no concept of what being the president involves and blows up twitter any time someone uses their right to free speech.

Drumpf is an unstable child who thinks he can't lose. He's about to learn and so are all of you.

Unlike drumpf, Obama is intelligent, controlled, and with a sound knowledge of diplomacy and foreign affairs.

yeah, he certainly has sound knowledge of diplomacy and foreign affairs when it comes to Syria and it's refugee crisis, Libya and the void that our military intervention caused which has been filled by ISIS and other like-minded groups. In the case of Egypt, Syria and Libya, the Obama administration has followed the Bush Doctrine of regime change and democracy in the middle east, minus the ground forces but with the end result being the same. Our diplomatic relations with Russia and China have never been worse since the Cold War. Then there's Iran who is has already reneged on conditions of our nuclear deal. So yes, go on about Obama, that master statesman and what he's done for America's position throughout the world.

xfire

yeah, he certainly has sound knowledge of diplomacy and foreign affairs when it comes to Syria and it's refugee crisis, Libya and the void that our military intervention caused which has been filled by ISIS and other like-minded groups. In the case of Egypt, Syria and Libya, the Obama administration has followed the Bush Doctrine of regime change and democracy in the middle east, minus the ground forces but with the end result being the same. Our diplomatic relations with Russia and China have never been worse since the Cold War. Then there's Iran who is has already reneged on conditions of our nuclear deal. So yes, go on about Obama, that master statesman and what he's done for America's position throughout the world.

Schwing! Fuck yeah! You know I'm no fucking conservative but like the man said, when you're hot you're hot and when you're right you're goddamn right. I can stand having a motherfucker in the White House that I don't always agree with because damn Obama, I agree with as much Trump has said and done as I have with what Obama has said and done. I must actually be a damn moderate, which I'm totally O.K. with.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
I love when the experience argument comes up. You want experience in the Oval Office? You should have written in H. Bush or Jimmy Carter. They are the only ones that qualify. Hillary qualifies? Mother and husband Laura Bush should be President. Eat shit till the next congressional election.