• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

But mooooom! Dead Space 2 is, like, the best game ever! I want it!

A Dead Space 2 viral campaign launching this weekend took plenty of chutzpah, I'll give it that. Electronic Arts brought in 200 middle-aged mothers under the auspices of a focus group looking at a new game. They were, aptly, horrified.

Four videos that released yesterday show moms walking into a conference room where they're greeted by a disembodied voice and a video monitor. They then watched some of the worst Dead Space 2 has to offer. All of this goes into a campaign called "Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2." Which implies you're going to love it.

I cringed throughout the four one-on-one videos, not because of what they were watching but because put-ons like this involving unsuspecting victims always make me feel a little bad for them. I was always the guy hanging up before someone could tell me whether or not his refrigerator was running.

But the moms are tough ladies. They take it like pros and it seems their disgust for the game is genuine (well, Celestine, "No. 0124" seems to bear it in a slasher-flick/rollercoaster way.) Video links below.

http://kotaku.com/5734960/for-electronic-arts-it-means-mothers-id-like-to-frighten

The mom at 0'55" is hot! And she is the screen shot for the video below. :nanner:

"It is very fireful" :1orglaugh

I think it's good that the mothers were shown this. Maybe now mothers will get the idea when a game has a big fat M on it it means it is not for the kids and they will think twice about getting it.

Who knows. Probably not.

This reminds me of when I worked in the video game dept. at Toys R Us. I've had so many parents buy "M" rated games for their kids, even after I told them what was in it.

I do remember one mom who was gonna buy God of War I and II for her 7 year old for Christmas. After I got through explaining exactly why the game was rated Mature, that kid did not get God of War I or II for Christmas. The mom looked at me with such shock on her face. She said "Hell No!".

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
Good to be legal.

Good to be legal.

amen to that! im proud to be 22! then again i was mature at 7 when watching this kind of stuff. my mom had one rule when i watched TV/Movies as long as it didn't have nudity she didn't care.

That is awful acting.....and Dead Space games aren't that violent at all so what's with this crap viral campaign ?

Man Duke Nukem 3D was more violent that that

That is one angry post up there. And an extreme loyalty to Duke Nukem.

I have trouble believing this was actually real. The guy is killing aliens and these monstrous creatures and one of them says "You wanna have fun killing somebody?" and others looked like they were gonna cry too? A slight overreaction if you ask me. It also doesn't help that a lot more companies are doing these types of "focus group" commercials. If this was real, they definitely only searched for moms that probably wouldn't let their children even read a Calvin and Hobbes strip because he might be a bad influence

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
I think the game deserves a better marketing campaign than this...

L3ggy

The rating system is useless, I've seen kids buying very gory games.

The rating system is useless, I've seen kids buying very gory games.

same here. personally i don't think age has anything to do with being mature. i've been playing violent games since i was about 12 or 13 and i've been watching violent movies since i was about 5. and not once hace i ever had thoughts of murder or violence, or rape or any of that shit.

in the end its all the parents fault, for there kids going violent it has nothing to do with media.

L3ggy

12? Saw my sister playing the original Resident Evil when I was about 9 :D

I was playing Tekken at the time, the 90's = best years of my life.

well i grew up kinda poor. i didn't get a game station till i was about 12 or 13. but i guess i could go back further i was about 6 or 7 when i first started playing mortal kombtat 2. i played on my uncles snes.

L3ggy

Never been a MK fan.