• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Brazilians aren't considered Latinos, why?

brazilians aren´t spanish culture, but we are latino, of course:

:D"The term latino (feminine latina) in the Romance languages, such as Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, literally translates as "Latin". Portuguese dictionaries define the demonym latino to refer to natives of Romance-speaking nations influenced by Roman civilization, and to the natives or inhabitants of ancient Latium (modern Lazio). Italian dictionaries define the demonym latino as: the ancient Latins and Romans, and their language, Latin, as well as the neo-Latin nations. The dictionary of the Real Academia Española defines ten meanings for latino, including the ancient peoples of Latium and the modern Romance-speaking European and American nations.In these languages, latino, just like any other demonym, is by convention not capitalized"

:eek:but the United States Census Bureau, said:
"... is limited specifically to "Spanish culture or origin", and therefore does not include Brazilian Americans. However, Brazilians are recognized as Latin Americans, so some dictionary definitions may include Brazilians and Brazilian Americans as Latinos. Also, in census forms and other questionnaires, Latino identity is the choice of the respondent, so that Brazilian Americans can thus self-identify as Latinos. However, the U.S. government's population reports do not include Brazilian Americans with Hispanic and Latino Americans".

This is exactly why the US Census Bureau shouldn't be asking questions about race in the first place.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
It's weird because where I live is mainly a Brazilian neighborhood..I have always referred to them as just Brazilians outright, but to some of my friends from there when they fill out a census form or some kind of identification form they always check off Latino. It's like with me I am pretty much Eurasian and lately I have been checking off the box that reads "two or more races" that you see now, but when I was younger I never knew what to check off so I would just leave it blank.

Strangely enough, I also see many journalists (mostly left wingers) implying that Brazil is not part of Western civilization.

what the heck?

It's interesting how a word loses its meaning over time. I have never thought of Italian people as Latino/Latina. I always think of Hispanics this way, yet the name is derived from Lazio in Italy. Come to think of it, a friend of mine who has Italian parents got annoyed when some guy called her Latina. That seems funny after reading this thread.

Italians' aren't Latino, that's why. They're white Europeans. You bet your ass if I was Italian and someone labeled me a Latino I'd be pissed as shit too.

As far as labeling Brazilians, it's kind of hard noting all the decendents of slaves there. I do know there is a European presence there however.

Italians' aren't Latino, that's why. They're white Europeans. You bet your ass if I was Italian and someone labeled me a Latino I'd be pissed as shit too.

As far as labeling Brazilians, it's kind of hard noting all the decendents of slaves there. I do know there is a European presence there however.

You do know that the 'white' people of South America are descendents of the white settlers from European countries like Spain, Portugal, Germany and also Italy don't you?. There were no whites in South America before European colonisation, just your Inca and Aztec types. The reason 'white' Brazilians don't look like White Europeans is many have interbred with the indiginious population producing mixed race children or their skin has tanned over the centuries due to the climate.

ps Latin originated in Ancient Rome, which is now modern day Italy.

You do know that the 'white' people of South America are descendents of the white settlers from European countries like Spain, Portugal, Germany and also Italy don't you?. There were no whites in South America before European colonisation, just your Inca and Aztec types. The reason 'white' Brazilians don't look like White Europeans is many have interbred with the indiginious population producing mixed race children or their skin has tanned over the centuries due to the climate.

ps Latin originated in Ancient Rome, which is now modern day Italy.

And what part of my previous post said (or didn't say) any of that? Of course whites in Brazil aren't indigenous; just like gringos in America aren't indigenous. Anyone who's taken a world history course knows this. :rolleyes:

And what part of my previous post said (or didn't say) any of that? Of course whites in Brazil aren't indigenous; just like gringos in America aren't indigenous. Anyone who's taken a world history course knows this. :rolleyes:

So therefore you do understand the link between Latin Americans (Latinos) and Italians, or are you saying that Italians themselves deny any link or being associated with the term Latino?
ps The 'gringos' as you call them are not the only people in America that are not indigenous, neither are any of the 'whites' of European descent. The native Americans are the true indigenous race, what's left of them anyway.

So therefore you do understand the link between Latin Americans (Latinos) and Italians, or are you saying that Italians themselves deny any link or being associated with the term Latino?
ps The 'gringos' as you call them are not the only people in America that are not indigenous, neither are any of the 'whites' of European descent. The native Americans are the true indigenous race, what's left of them anyway.

Oh, Jesus Christ professor, I didn't know you were going to lecture today. :rolleyes:

I prefer the term "Mestizo."

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
brazilians aren´t spanish culture, but we are latino, of course:

:D"The term latino (feminine latina) in the Romance languages, such as Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, literally translates as "Latin". Portuguese dictionaries define the demonym latino to refer to natives of Romance-speaking nations influenced by Roman civilization, and to the natives or inhabitants of ancient Latium (modern Lazio). Italian dictionaries define the demonym latino as: the ancient Latins and Romans, and their language, Latin, as well as the neo-Latin nations. The dictionary of the Real Academia Española defines ten meanings for latino, including the ancient peoples of Latium and the modern Romance-speaking European and American nations.In these languages, latino, just like any other demonym, is by convention not capitalized"

:eek:but the United States Census Bureau, said:
"... is limited specifically to "Spanish culture or origin", and therefore does not include Brazilian Americans. However, Brazilians are recognized as Latin Americans, so some dictionary definitions may include Brazilians and Brazilian Americans as Latinos. Also, in census forms and other questionnaires, Latino identity is the choice of the respondent, so that Brazilian Americans can thus self-identify as Latinos. However, the U.S. government's population reports do not include Brazilian Americans with Hispanic and Latino Americans".

Great question. While it's fairly obvious why Brazilians (as a nationality) wouldn't necessarily be considered Hispanics, it's less obvious why they wouldn't be considered Latinos... since they pretty much are.

My ex-fiance was from Peru. Her father's side of the family was from Italy. Her mother's side from Spain. She spoke Spanish, Italian, some French and Portuguese... and of course, English. Speaking Romance languages and having a family history firmly rooted in the basin of Latin culture made her about as Latin as one could get.

This is no joke: when I was in high school, more than a few of the kids thought that Romance languages referred to French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese being romantic languages.
ughpicard.gif
Yeah, I know... our secondary education system isn't much to brag about. So, I think that's the answer to your "why" question, as it relates to our illogical way of developing classifications. We're ignorant and just don't know any better.

can bet your life if you're Italian you're a Latin Europe, despite all their racism and misuse of the term in the U.S., which confuses origin ethnicity, with street slang.

There are whites in Brazil (or as some prefer to "Aryans"), of course, especially in communities and towns in the far south of the country founded by immigrant Italians, Germans, Swiss, Poles, etc ...

But the vast majority of those who call themselves "white" around the area have any descendants black, indigenous, in the family.

Does everyone know all your ancestors, there is actually a pure breed in the world?

People have always had a hard time understanding the difference between national origin, ethnicity and cultural heritage. I see they still do.

it's true
Certainly, taking advantage of this review, I think "Brazil" is a national, not a race (white, black, Asian and Indian), and not an ethnicity (Latin, Germanic, Slavic and NorDig), but have cultural and heritage genetics, very strong Latin peoples (mainly Portuguese), so most people believe to be Latinos.

A bit like the U.S., with the difference that in Brazil there was a great fusion of not only ethnic groups (Latin, Germanic, Slavic and NorDig), as well as races (whites, blacks, Asians and indigenous).

In the U.S., I believe that this mixing occurred in the culture, especially in music (rock, blues and jazz).

Strangely enough, I also see many journalists (mostly left wingers) implying that Brazil is not part of Western civilization.

what the heck?

Brazil is not part of Western civilization? We have evangelicals, Catholics, politicians liars, mercenary health system, etc ...

Not to mention that this country fought in World War II on the Allied side, like the Canadians and Australians.

Great question. While it's fairly obvious why Brazilians (as a nationality) wouldn't necessarily be considered Hispanics, it's less obvious why they wouldn't be considered Latinos... since they pretty much are.

My ex-fiance was from Peru. Her father's side of the family was from Italy. Her mother's side from Spain. She spoke Spanish, Italian, some French and Portuguese... and of course, English. Speaking Romance languages and having a family history firmly rooted in the basin of Latin culture made her about as Latin as one could get.

This is no joke: when I was in high school, more than a few of the kids thought that Romance languages referred to French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese being romantic languages.
ughpicard.gif
Yeah, I know... our secondary education system isn't much to brag about. So, I think that's the answer to your "why" question, as it relates to our illogical way of developing classifications. We're ignorant and just don't know any better.

Oh please, it has nothing to do with being ignorant. It's about the overly sensitive politic correctness that has eroded language in our society. You can't say negroid, mongoloid, mestizo, mulatto or any other suitable words that small groups of people found "offensive" because of their ignorance.

Why the Census doesn't list Brazilians as "Latino" is most likely because they are so overly paranoid about offending some group that they acted like idiots and butchered the language further.

Remember, we live in a society where Regis Philbin had to apologize for this:

The real question is why this shit even belongs in the census or why we are so eager to classify dozens of ethnicities and cultures, stretching from Mexico to Argentina, under one broad and obsolete term.