• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Brazilians aren't considered Latinos, why?

brazilians aren´t spanish culture, but we are latino, of course:

:D"The term latino (feminine latina) in the Romance languages, such as Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, literally translates as "Latin". Portuguese dictionaries define the demonym latino to refer to natives of Romance-speaking nations influenced by Roman civilization, and to the natives or inhabitants of ancient Latium (modern Lazio). Italian dictionaries define the demonym latino as: the ancient Latins and Romans, and their language, Latin, as well as the neo-Latin nations. The dictionary of the Real Academia Española defines ten meanings for latino, including the ancient peoples of Latium and the modern Romance-speaking European and American nations.In these languages, latino, just like any other demonym, is by convention not capitalized"

:eek:but the United States Census Bureau, said:
"... is limited specifically to "Spanish culture or origin", and therefore does not include Brazilian Americans. However, Brazilians are recognized as Latin Americans, so some dictionary definitions may include Brazilians and Brazilian Americans as Latinos. Also, in census forms and other questionnaires, Latino identity is the choice of the respondent, so that Brazilian Americans can thus self-identify as Latinos. However, the U.S. government's population reports do not include Brazilian Americans with Hispanic and Latino Americans".

Interesting.

I consider Brazilians Latin. FWIW

Brazilian steakhouses >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Australian steakhouses.

jod0565

Member, you member...
That means there are no Brazilians in the U.S. then.
Case closed.

Big Poppa Pump

- My Name Is My Name -
It's interesting how a word loses its meaning over time. I have never thought of Italian people as Latino/Latina. I always think of Hispanics this way, yet the name is derived from Lazio in Italy. Come to think of it, a friend of mine who has Italian parents got annoyed when some guy called her Latina. That seems funny after reading this thread.

It's interesting how a word loses its meaning over time. I have never thought of Italian people as Latino/Latina. I always think of Hispanics this way, yet the name is derived from Lazio in Italy. Come to think of it, a friend of mine who has Italian parents got annoyed when some guy called her Latina. That seems funny after reading this thread.

the term history:
The Latins were an ancient Italic people of the Latium region in central Italy, (Latium Vetus - Old Latium). Although they lived in independent city-states, the Latins had a common language (Latin), common religious beliefs, and a close sense of kinship, expressed in the myth that they were all descendants of Latinus. Latinus was worshiped on Mons Albanus (Monte Cavo) during an annual festival that was attended by all Latins, including those from Rome, one of the Latin states. The Latin cities extended common rights of residence and trade to one another. Rome's territorial ambitions united the rest of the Latins against it in 341 BC, but the final victory was on Rome's side in 338 BC. Consequently, some of the Latin states were incorporated within the Roman state, and their inhabitants were given full Roman citizenship. Others became Roman allies and enjoyed certain privileges.

Gradually, with the spread of Roman power throughout Italy and Western Europe, 'Latin' ceased to be an ethnic term and became a legal category.

Italian are latin too: Latin Europeans

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the brazilians that descended from the original white Portugese settlers (up to 49%) are Latino. However the country has a large number of people descended from african slaves (up to 43% but includes mixed race) and also native tribal people who aren't really latino in their ethnicity. Then also are German Brazilians like footballer Dunga (similarly Gabriele Heinze is Agentine German) and model Gesele Bundchen (around 5m of the 190m population) who I guess are Anglo Saxon in ethnicity. On a national level Brazil is in Latin America.

Descended from the original white Portugese settlers (up to 49%) described themselves as White; but, in fact, are mixed whites and indigenous.

Brazilian people are very mixed, like me, half german, half african.

the population no mixed (white, in south, black in north and indians in amazon) are excepetions.

brazilians aren´t spanish culture, but we are latino, of course:

:D"The term latino (feminine latina) in the Romance languages, such as Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, literally translates as "Latin". Portuguese dictionaries define the demonym latino to refer to natives of Romance-speaking nations influenced by Roman civilization, and to the natives or inhabitants of ancient Latium (modern Lazio). Italian dictionaries define the demonym latino as: the ancient Latins and Romans, and their language, Latin, as well as the neo-Latin nations. The dictionary of the Real Academia Española defines ten meanings for latino, including the ancient peoples of Latium and the modern Romance-speaking European and American nations.In these languages, latino, just like any other demonym, is by convention not capitalized"

:eek:but the United States Census Bureau, said:
"... is limited specifically to "Spanish culture or origin", and therefore does not include Brazilian Americans. However, Brazilians are recognized as Latin Americans, so some dictionary definitions may include Brazilians and Brazilian Americans as Latinos. Also, in census forms and other questionnaires, Latino identity is the choice of the respondent, so that Brazilian Americans can thus self-identify as Latinos. However, the U.S. government's population reports do not include Brazilian Americans with Hispanic and Latino Americans".

From my understanding being "Latin" and being "Latino" is not necessarily the same thing. It sounds wierd but this is what i've been told by people who are latin and people who are latino. I think morso in north america people look at those from spanish speaking nations as Latino. But people from countries that have a latin based language as being Latin. Like, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Domincans, Hondurans, El Salvadorians, etc are latino. People from Italy, Portugal, Brazil etc are Latin. I personally would consider them latinos but who knows really...

And another question I got for anyone really. Why does the term "Latino" even exist? Its pretty wierd becuase the term Latino spans across to so many people. Blacks, Whites and people of other racial groups as well. But there is no name for people that aren't Latino. People from Puerto Rico, Cuba, Mexico etc are considered Latino but a lot of these countries have different races in their countries. Well there are countries such as Canada and the U.S. and England and so on and so forth are the same way but there are no names for these people. Why do you all think that is?

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
It's probably due to the fact that they speak Portuguese.

Dumbest thing written here today. Portuguese is a Latin language.

I lived in Sao Sebastiao and Ilhabela for the better part of a year and the Brasilheiras I encountered considered themselves to be Latina. Brazilian girls I encountered in the U.S. describe themselves as Latina.

Maybe some of the girls who are of European extraction (i.e. Germans who fled there after WWII) don't consider themselves to be Latina, but even they, when pressed, will say they are to simplify things.

It's the same thing as many Mexicans who don't fit the stereotype of having brown skin, black hair, and black eyes. Because of the French and German immigrants that settled in some parts of the country, there are many Mexicans who have white skin, blond hair, and blue or green eyes. They may be of Anglo-Saxon descent, but they're still considered Latinos.

Dumbest thing written here today.

That's really saying something right there!

People have always had a hard time understanding the difference between national origin, ethnicity and cultural heritage. I see they still do.

Probably because French speaking people aren't considered to be latinos/latinas either, even though their language is also neo-Latin (but in this case Romanians would also be latinos).

Descended from the original white Portugese settlers (up to 49%) described themselves as White; but, in fact, are mixed whites and indigenous.

Brazilian people are very mixed, like me, half german, half african.

the population no mixed (white, in south, black in north and indians in amazon) are excepetions.

That's why I said up to 49%. That's what a 2006 concensus showed as 'white', when many in fact are probably of mixed race. If you want Latina to simply describe where your country is and the language you speak then I guess all Brazilians are Latina, If you want to look deeper in terms of ethnicity then they are not. There are also 1.5m Japanese Brazilians, but I would never consider them Latino. I also have friends from Goa (India) who speak Portugese and have Portugese Passports as Goa was once a Portugese colony, however I don't consider them Latino and they don't either.

So those anyone know the official way of determining if someone is latino or not? Some people say its the country you come from but not everyone from a spanish speaking country is of the same descent. And some say its soley off your ancestral descent.

my girlfriends parents immigrated from portugal to canada and she was born and raised in canada...does that make her latina? some say yes, some say no

So those anyone know the official way of determining if someone is latino or not?

Isn't it the same way they figured out who the monster was in The Thing? Everyone gives a small sample of their blood in a petri dish and our hero - holding a flame thrower and sporting a spiffy beard and hair combo - sticks a hot piece of wire into the samples one by one to build the tension. Whichever one of those samples suddenly jumps out at you and rips your face off is the Latino.

Or is it that the positive result is actually the 'white devil'? I can't remember. Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.