• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Black college student sparks uproar by hanging Confederate flag in dorm room window

:popcorn:

Black college student sparks uproar by hanging Confederate flag in his dorm room window

A black college student who caused outrage by displaying a Confederate flag in his dorm room window said he sees the banner as a symbol of Southern pride and not racism.

The 19-year-old student at the University of South Carolina Beaufort took the flag down at the university's request, but he said he's considering putting it back up after the officials relented.

Byron Thomas has drawn nearly 70,000 views since he posted a video online in which he acknowledges: 'I know it's kind of weird because I'm black.'

article-2069131-0F071C8000000578-348_468x357.jpg

Controversy: Byron Thomas, 19, a student at USCB sparked uproar by hanging a Confederate battle flag in his dormitory room window

In an interview, Thomas said a class research project made him come to the belief that the flag's real meaning has been hijacked by racists groups.

He said he wants people to thoughtfully consider issues of race and not just knee-jerk reactions to such symbols.

'When I look at this flag, I don't see racism. I see respect, Southern pride,' he said.

'This flag was seen as a communication symbol' during the Civil War.

He said university officials asked him to take the banner down just before Thanksgiving after students and parents complained when it was seen by them on campus tours, but have since told him he can put it back up.

The freshman from North Augusta said his generation can eliminate the flag's negative power by adopting the banner as a symbol of Southern pride.

'I've been getting a lot of support from people. My generation is interested in freedom of speech,' Thomas said.

But Thomas says his parents do not like the flag and he is concerned about their point of view, particularly since they pay his bills.

'I don't want to make my parents mad,' he said. 'I may wait until Monday to put it up.'

article-2069131-0F0723A700000578-500_468x286.jpg

Hate Symbol: Thomas said a research project made him come to the belief that the flag's real meaning has been hijacked by racists groups like the Ku Klux Klan

He said he's unhappy about such things as labels, and he doesn't like the term 'African-American,' which makes him feel like 'a half-citizen', since he was not born in Africa.

Thomas' roommate Blane Reed, who is white, said that he never heard any complaints after Thomas put the flag up shortly after Labor Day.

He said the flag was on the inside of Thomas' bedroom window and moved later to the window in their common living area.

But the week before Thanksgiving, Thomas was asked by his hall director to take it down from the window and put it anywhere inside the student apartment which prompted Thomas to posted a video on CNN's iReport website.

'I think he's got a really good point. It's just a flag, and in and of itself, it doesn't have any racial meaning. It only has as much meaning as you put into it,' said Reed.

He described his roommate as a hardworking student who attends church services regularly and has not let the incident interfere with his studies.

article-2069131-0F071EE800000578-755_468x361.jpg

Defiant: The 19-year-old student at the University of South Carolina Beaufort took the flag down but said he will put it back up after the officials relented

'Byron is really smart, very outgoing. He's one of the nicest people you would ever meet and he'd give you the shirt off his back,' said Reed, a biology major.

University spokeswoman Candace Brasseur said about two-dozen students had raised the issue of the flag with the housing office or with a resident adviser.

The school had sent an e-mail to its students and staff, informing them that officials had asked Thomas to remove the flag 'out of respect for his fellow students' concerns'.

However, the e-mail added, because of 'USCB's firm belief in the First Amendment and its right of free speech, the University cannot and will not prohibit these flags or other symbols that our students choose to display."

Thomas is free to return it to his window if he wishes, Brasseur said.

USC Beaufort is one of eight campuses in the University of South Carolina system and has about 1,750 students, of which about 16.5 percent are African American, according to the school web site.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rate-flag-dorm-room-window.html#ixzz1fQUp3pAM

Re: Black college student sparks uproar by hanging Confederate flag in dorm room wind

Good on that fella!

Re: Black college student sparks uproar by hanging Confederate flag in dorm room wind

Highjacked or not the meaning of that flag in modern society has changed to a racist meaning. The kid is dumb for associating himself with it but he is getting attention for it and that is clearly why he is doing it in the first place.

Mayhem

Banned

In an interview, Thomas said a class research project made him come to the belief that the flag's real meaning has been hijacked by racists groups.

He said he wants people to thoughtfully consider issues of race and not just knee-jerk reactions to such symbols.

'When I look at this flag, I don't see racism. I see respect, Southern pride,' he said.

'This flag was seen as a communication symbol' during the Civil War.

Excellent. If anyone wants to do similar research, watch the Ken Burns documentary about the Civil War. You will see that slavery was one of the issues, but by no means the issue. And one thing that comes to light with any research whatsoever is that the North has no right to get on its high-horse about slavery or race relations during the Civil War or the 100 years that followed.

Kudos to this young man for his integrity. :hatsoff:

i like the flag. its actually not the flag that the CSA used to represent itself, it was merely a battle flag. wide misconception. i agree with the kid. its a symbol of southern pride, nothing more nothing less.

it only becomes the racist symbol people think it is when they bring it up. end of story

This flag being connected to racism reminds me of the Swastika situation. Now when the Swastika is seen every goon from here to eternity thinks it's a nazi thing. When it isn't. And it existed about 3000 years before the whole nazi thing was even created. The same goes for that flag, it was around before it was linked to racism. It's a flag and should be allowed to be flown by anyone who wants to fly it or pin it up on their wall or what ever. It's a little narrow minded to think that the Swatstika and that flag are only there to be tools for racism.

I'm not a fan of the confederate flag, but tihs kid is a bad ass. If he wants to hang the flag, I don't see why it should cause such an uproar.

This flag being connected to racism reminds me of the Swastika situation. Now when the Swastika is seen every goon from here to eternity thinks it's a nazi thing. When it isn't. And it existed about 3000 years before the whole nazi thing was even created. The same goes for that flag, it was around before it was linked to racism. It's a flag and should be allowed to be flown by anyone who wants to fly it or pin it up on their wall or what ever. It's a little narrow minded to think that the Swatstika and that flag are only there to be tools for racism.

Well said! If anyone would like to hear the history of the Confederate Flag, please look here.

Look at the end of the last paragraph, and it has a link you can click to listen to the scholar give the REAL history behind the flag.

Titled: Truth Behind The Confederate Battle Flag

http://scvcamp.org/georgia12thbrigade/index.php?Page=Pastor Weaver CD

Well said! If anyone would like to hear the history of the Confederate Flag, please look here.

Look at the end of the last paragraph, and it has a link you can click to listen to the scholar give the REAL history behind the flag.

http://scvcamp.org/georgia12thbrigade/index.php?Page=Pastor Weaver CD

The flag never was racist to begin with like wise with the Swastika. All it takes is a little knowledge on history to know this.

Nice post and link my friend.

The flag never was racist to begin with like wise with the Swastika. All it takes is a little knowledge on history to know this.

Nice post and link my friend.

You're very welcome. :hatsoff:

I wonder how many people that like that flag go out and burn crosses on peoples lawns at night?. Not very many I bet. It's mostly hogwash this racist labeling. Things are too PC these days for their own good. The flag could end up being the debate for banning it from being raised or pinned to a wall in some states if the PC crowd got their way.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement

Oh lordy.

:facepalm:

Shifty

O.G.

Ballsy and brilliant. :2 cents:

pride? the flag is the symbol of treason. it's the symbol of ppl who didn't want to part of the united states because they wanted to own slaves. this guy is a dumbass

Its funny when a educated guy is seen as small minded and stupid by those uneducated people all around him!

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?

Fly the flag with pride brother! :thumbsup:

Ballsy and kudos to the guy.

He's completely right. Although people who have "southern pride" (seriously, what do they got to be proud of?) piss me off, he certainly presents a valid point.

Some family of mine went down south when I was 17 or so and brought back a shirt that said southern pride on it and had a little confederate flag. I got in a lot of shit for wearing it at work and at school. Props to this kid!!