• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

"Bird" Flu

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
Just came in on BBC News- they're testing for a possible case of bird flu in France......

om3ga

om3ga said:
Just came in on BBC News- they're testing for a possible case of bird flu in France......

Update - no bird flu detected in the French sample....

Bird flu has spread in Maharstra, India. No human case is detected yet. Area quarentined.

Cooked meal does not contain the virus. Its safe to have eggs and chicken, but should be well cooked. Above a temparature of 70 degree celcius the virus dies.

It spreads through air. Bird to bird and bird to human contact. Mask is necessary for handling chickens.

om3ga

om3ga said:
Update - no bird flu detected in the French sample....

Bird Flu now confirmed in France - BBC are advising the British public to report any dead birds they see.

Bird Flu also confirmed in Iran....

om3ga

axelstoner said:
u ppl do know bird flu is fake!!"!

WHAT???
Are you (and NOT "U") on drugs??
Where is your justification for such an asinine comment?

The H51N strain of influenza is very real, but what it seems like most people I know don't understand is that this is a bird virus- the people who have been contracting it have been people that are in close contact with these birds a lot. There is no human-to-human pandemic going on with it, and if we're lucky, this strain will burn out before anything like that can happen.

After all, the human mortality rate from it so far is about 50-60%, I think. I don't like the odds on that one should it start to be spread between humans.

H

om3ga

Germany just reported a case of an infected cat with the H51N strain of influenza....

om3ga

French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin has urged cat owners not to let their pets stray into areas affected by bird flu.
The advice comes after a dead cat tested positive for the lethal H5N1 strain of the virus in Germany.
The domestic cat, found on the virus-hit Baltic island of Ruegen, was the first EU mammal to die of bird flu.
Details:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4762712.stm

Several cats have tested positive for the H5N1 strain of bird flu, Austrian state authorities said Monday
Details:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/06/ap/world/mainD8G63EKG0.shtml

Poland has confirmed its first case of the deadly H5N1 strain of the bird flu virus, in two wild swans.
Details:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4777832.stm

A buzzard that had been found in my county last week was tested positive on H5N1. There were no other infected animals found.
An observation area was set up, which is bordering to my town. Everything is normal, just some information signs were installed. And my fire department has been equipped with protective clothing, in case we have to collect dead animals.

:hatsoff: Jackson

om3ga

Preliminary tests have confirmed the H5 avian flu virus in a sample from a swan found dead in north east Fife (Scotland), health officials have revealed.
The exact virus strain is not known, but tests were continuing and further results were expected on Thursday.
The Scottish Executive said the area around Cellardyke, north of Anstruther, was being sealed off.
If the disease is confirmed as the deadly H5N1 strain there may be further restrictions put in place.

Details:
Bird flu confirmed in dead swan

om3ga

A dead swan found in Fife which tested positive for the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu has been identified by scientists as a whooper swan.

The breed originates from outside the UK but it was unclear whether the bird, which has been subjected to DNA tests, picked up the disease abroad.

No other birds have tested positive for H5N1 since the discovery on 29 March.

Details:
Bird flu swan was from outside UK

And yet we have (alomst) 'mass' panic with people dumping their birds (feathered ones!) all over the place!

They are of the mindset that it is better to be safe than sorry, despite how reckless and uncalled for there actions may be.
Why do they kill so many of there own birds?

om3ga said:
A dead swan found in Fife which tested positive for the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu has been identified by scientists as a whooper swan.

The breed originates from outside the UK but it was unclear whether the bird, which has been subjected to DNA tests, picked up the disease abroad.

No other birds have tested positive for H5N1 since the discovery on 29 March.

Details:
Bird flu swan was from outside UK

An article in New Scientist magazine suggested that British testing techniques were flawed, they weren't transporting the virus to lab properly. Don't quote my numbers, I'm recalling from memory, but British scientists tested other birds and came up with a 0.01% occurence of the virus. The thing is, bird flu is naturally occurring in 1% of birds worldwide. So, either British birds are 100 times healthier than other birds around the world, or the British botched their testing.

If it's the latter, then nobody knows just how widespread the flu is.

om3ga

Unfortunately, it's time to take the dust off this thread.......

As many as 160,000 birds could be culled after it emerged that avian flu killed 2,600 turkeys at a Suffolk farm.

Details:
Bird flu outbreak may prompt cull

Reactions: AFA