• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Biggest bust in sports history.

Biggest draft bust in sports history. Who is it?

• Sam Bowie

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Michael Olowokandi

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Jamarcus Russell

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Ryan Leaf

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Akili Smith

• Alexandre Daigle

• Brian Lawton

• Steve Chilcott

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Bush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please discuss)

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who it be??

NBA Busts.

Sam Bowie – 2nd Overall Selection by the Portland Trail Blazers in 1984

Selected ahead of: Michael Jordan (#3), Sam Perkins (#4), Charles Barkley (#5)

Michael Olowokandi – 1st Overall Selection by the L.A. Clippers in 1998

Selected ahead of: Mike Bibby (#2), Antawn Jamison (#4), Vince Carter (#5), Dirk Nowitzki (#9), Paul Pierce (#10), Rashard Lewis (#32)

NFL Busts

Jamarcus Russell - 1st Overalll selection by the Oakland Raiders

Selected ahead of: Adrian Peterson (#7), Patrick Willis (#11), Darrelle Revis (#14)

Ryan Leaf - 2nd Overall selection by the San Diego Chargers

Selected ahead of: Charles Woodson (#4), Takeo Spikes (#13), Randy Moss (#21)

Akili Smith - 3rd Overall selection by the Cincinnati bengals

Selected ahead of: Edgarrin James (#4), Ricky Williams (#5), Tory Holt (#6), Champ Bailey (#7)

You might say Tim Couch was the biggest bust in that draft, since he went #1, but Cincinnati turned down a trade offer from Mike Ditka and the New Orleans Saints. The trade offer was for all of New Orleans draft picks that year, (1 in each round) and their 1st and 3rd round picks the next year. All just for Cincinnati's 3rd overall selection. The Bengals turned down 9 drafts picks and drafted Akili Smith instead. The Washington Redskins ended up taking the trade so New Orleans could draft Ricky Williams.

NHL Busts

Alexander Daigle - 1st Overall selection by the Ottawa Senators.

Selected ahead of: Chris Pronger (#2), Paul Kariya (#4), Saku Koivu (#21)

Brian Lawton - 1st Overall selection by the Minnesota Northstars

Selected ahead of: Sylvain Turgeon (#2), Pat Lafontaine (#3), Steve Yzerman (#4), Tom Barrasso (#5)

MLB Busts

Steve Chilcott - 1st Overall selection by the New York Mets

Selected ahead of: (#2) Reggie Jackson

Never played in the majors.

Matt Bush - Selected 1st overall by the San Diego Padres

Selected ahead of: Justin Verlander (#2), Dustin Pedroia (??), Huston Street (??)

Also never played in the majors. Batted .192 and .221 in the minors.

Well there you have it. Do any of these guys deserve the title of greatest draft bust in sports history?? You decide.

(Forgive any errors, this was a pain in the ass to research)

The pick of Sam Bowie was more than understandable at that time. Because they had Clyde Drexler holding down the SG, for the Blazers, MJ wasn't what they were seeking. They're missing piece was a big man. Injuries ended Bowie.

Here are a couple of bigger busts than even Bowie:

Marvin Williams (Atlanta Hawks): Seeing as how he was picked ahead of Deron Williams and Chris Paul at #2, he hasn't even come close to panning out.

Robert 'Tractor' Traylor: Traded on draft day to Milwaukee for Dirk Nowitzki. He couldn't put pork chop sandwiches down, and after heart surgery, failed his physical in 2006. He now plays in Puerto Rico.

Kwame Brown: Almost every damn player picked after him at #1 has had a better career. Who you ask? Only guys like Tyson Chandler, Jason Richardson, Shane Battier, Joe Johnson, Zack Randolph, Gerald Wallace, and Tony Parker.

The biggest bust in sports of all-time has got to be Ryan Leaf, IMO.

I'm from San Diego, and a big fan of both the Chargers and Padres. So, I would have to say that both Ryan Leaf, and Matt Bush were the biggest busts as far as teams that I care about.

As far as other NBA busts not mentioned, I would have to nominate both Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic for this list.

-Kwame Brown was the #1 overall selection in the 2001 NBA Draft, by the Washington Wizards. He was drafted ahead of Pau Gasol, Tyson Chandler, Jason Richardson, Shane Battier, Joe Johnson, Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker, Mehmet Okur, Gilbert Arenas and a few others that I would take any day over Kwame. Although, as a Laker fan I would have to mention that Kwame Brown, as a Laker, was involved in the best trade in recent memory when he was traded from the Lakers, along with the rights to Marc Gasol, to the Memphis Grizzlies in return for Pau. Kwame has averaged 6.7 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 1.0 APG, 0.6 BPG, and a terrible free-throw percentage of 57% over the course of his career. One would think that a guy listed as 6'11", 270 lbs. would have more impressive stats.

-Darko Milicic was the 2nd pick of the 2003 NBA Draft, going to the Detroit Pistons. Drafted behind LeBron, but in front of Carmelo, Chris Bosh, D Wade, Chris Kaman, David West, Josh Howard and Mo Williams. All of whom have been selected to at least 1 All-Star team over the course of their careers. The 7'0", 275 lb. center has averaged 5.6 PPG, 4.1 RPG and 1.2 BPG over the course of his career, while sporting a miserable 58% free-throw percentage. Way to go Joe Dumars :thumbsup:

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Ryan Leaf for sure. There really isn't any argument there. I would add Brian Bosworth, Tony Mandarich, and Ki-Jana Carter to the list as well.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Given all the hype around him when he was first drafted, I'm going to throw another name out there: Eric Lindros. Don't get me wrong, he had a good career. But he was supposed to be the next Gretzky and he never really lived up to the hype.

But if we are going for a bust overall, then Leaf, naturally.

Alexandre Daigle wasn't really a bust was he? Didn't he play good enough to ink an $80 mil contract from somebody at one point? He just never lived up to that contract :dunno:

I voted for Sam Bowie but he was actually a productive player. Yes he was not worthy of being picked #2 and injuries got to him in college and the NBA, he still played several years in the NBA. He ended up being a journeyman player, not All-Star caliber.

The greatest bust is probably Tony Mandarich, Brien Taylor of the New York Yankees, or Ryan Leaf. None of these players were able to stay in pro ball. Did Taylor even make it to the MLB? They all were really shitty.

Todd Van Poppel - touted to be the next Nolan Ryan for the Oakland A's in the early 90s, ended up being a home run magnet in the majors.

Brien Taylor - number 1 pick for the New York Yankees in 1992, also touted to be the next Dwight Gooden sans the drug problems. Never played in the majors.

Mike Morgan - drafted in the first round in the 70s and came up to the majors at 17. In 10-15 year career his era was never under 3.75.

Then there's Ryan Leaf for the NFL.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
I picked Leaf but some other notable NFL busts were Curtis Enis, Tim Couch, Lawrence Phillips, Heath Shuler, Andre Ware, Charles Rogers (Detroit could have gotten Andre Johnson! :eek:) Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, David Carr (ugh!!), Rick Mirer, Keith McCants, Aundray Bruce and Kyle Boller.

Given all the hype around him when he was first drafted, I'm going to throw another name out there: Eric Lindros. Don't get me wrong, he had a good career. But he was supposed to be the next Gretzky and he never really lived up to the hype.

I agree! He was supposed to be the next great force of the NHL and it never really happened. Not exactly a bust but he was far from being the superstar he was hyped up to be.

Good and timely topic, Diva! :thumbsup:

I should have put Darko Milicic in. The guys Detroit passed on will be hall of famers for sure.

Sam Bowie may have had a decent 10 year career, but they still passed on Michael Jordan. The greatest player of all time. You don't draft by need in the NBA, you draft by potential. Portland fucked it up twice. (Greg Oden/Kevin Durant)

Alexandre Daigle wasn't really a bust was he? Didn't he play good enough to ink an $80 mil contract from somebody at one point? He just never lived up to that contract

I think you're thinkin of Alexei Yashin.

Ryan Leaf easily.

He was supposed to have Peyton Manning's career or better based on his raw talent.

I think you're right, Diva :o Whoops.

Freddy Adu has to be considered a huge sports bust.

Hideki Irabu...another Yankee pitching bust. Dice-K :mad::mad: for my Sawx....

Kimbo Slice is a complete bust....although is MMA even a sport? Probably not.

I'm surprised Akili Smith isn't getting any votes. The Bengals fucked that up hard. Not only by drafting that shitbag, but by turning down 9 draft picks. Maybe that belong in the biggest sports fuck up thread though. :1orglaugh

I voted Ryan Leaf but something tells me Matt Leinart is on the way to this list very shortly! :D

Don't you know? Trojans never bust. lololol get it? The condoms? lololol I'm here all week.

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
I voted Ryan Leaf but something tells me Matt Leinart is on the way to this list very shortly! :D

aha Kimbo. I should have put him in. He's at least successful as a big draw though. I don't think anybody sees any potential, as much as they see $$$.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
For further reading about some NHL duds, I found a list here. Not surprised I haven't really heard of any of these guys.

aha Kimbo. I should have put him in. He's at least successful as a big draw though. I don't think anybody sees any potential, as much as they see $$$.

Putting Kimbo Slice in a poll like this would kind of be like putting the Shockmaster from WCW in it. Wouldn't make much sense in my opinion.

Note: The Shockmaster was a pretty big dud though.

For further reading about some NHL duds, I found a list here. Not surprised I haven't really heard of any of these guys.

Putting Kimbo Slice in a poll like this would kind of be like putting the Shockmaster from WCW in it. Wouldn't make much sense in my opinion.

moar liek shitmaster. amirite?

SHOCKMASTER!!!

HOT DAMN!!!

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

cocaine is a helluva drug.