• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Auto industry, seeing new life, is on hiring spree

The point you fail to grasp is that while the numbers you quote are indeed similar at the same point into their presidencies (and now PLEASE pay attention because I'm not repeating myself to fucking 'tards anymore), the numbers are trending in opposite directions. Obama's policies are sinking us further into oblivion. Regan's numbers from 1983 (which you cite) and 1984 (which you don't) show improvement. How else do you explain his landslide victory in 1984 -- despite America's chance to elect the first female vice president? And remember, there was no FoxNews back then to "brainwash" the masses.

For those who fail to grasp...:1orglaugh

Volkswagen opened a plant in Tennessee last month with 2,000 workers. Honda is hiring 1,000 in Indiana to meet demand for its best-selling Civic. General Motors is looking for 2,500 in Detroit to build the Chevy Volt.

Two years after the end of the Great Recession, the auto industry is hiring again — and much faster than the rest of the economy. As an employer, it's growing faster than airplane manufacturers, shipbuilders, health care providers and the federal government.

The hiring spree is even more remarkable because memories of the U.S. auto industry's near-death experience are fresh. In 2009, General Motors and Chrysler both got government bailouts and entered bankruptcy, and auto sales hit a 30-year low.

Heck of a job Obami:hatsoff:
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2011/07/auto_industry_seeing_new_life.html

Kingfisher

Here Zombie, Zombie, Zombie...
I'd buy a Chevy Volt for the very cool dash, but on the whole it's expensive.

The American auto industry hasn't solved the union problem yet and with the unions owning a bigger percentage of GM and Chrysler, I'm not sure it is going to be resolved soon. I'm not arguing against the buyout, but it either made a mockery of the bankruptcy laws or came close to it. A needed thing to be done, but that was part of the cost that shouldn't be ignored - it did hurt people and businesses who lost their money.

I buy GM cars. Partly because I like the idea of buying American (I understand the argument against this) and partly because I like them. Next on my list is a Camaro.

Great to see the auto industry doing better.

The impact of Regan's numbers would be greater if you posted Obama's directly next to them for comparison (since that is what it looks like the numbers are posted for.)

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
For every "feel good" story I see about how automakers are hiring, and the American Big Two are starting to take smaller, fuel-efficient cars more seriously, I count a hundred SUVs, pick-up trucks, and conversion vans on the road every day on my way to work.

Fuck the U.S. auto industry, try to repair that crap they build sometime.

:2 cents:

High tech for a penny!

It's nice but a couple thousand jobs here and there is peanuts in the overall view of things, especially in an industry as big as the automakers, and especially with how many people it and the economy in general lost. If there was a report about the US auto manufacturers hiring 200,000 new workers this year I might be impressed with the progress our economy is doing.

I would label this under the "better than nothing" category.

Well let's look at it much closer shall we. Yes it's wonderful that new jobs are being created thanks to 2 reasons:

1. States with no unions building plants(Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina)
2. Unions in Detroit accepting wage cuts or else.

Looks like the Unions don't have the bluster they used to have. Finally being to told to shut the fuck up or jobs go elsewhere.

No mo' leftist bs just cut the bureaucratic red tape, shut the unions up, and get to work.

It's nice but a couple thousand jobs here and there is peanuts in the overall view of things, especially in an industry as big as the automakers, and especially with how many people it and the economy in general lost. If there was a report about the US auto manufacturers hiring 200,000 new workers this year I might be impressed with the progress our economy is doing.

I would label this under the "better than nothing" category.

I can understand that point of view.

We also need to keep a close eye on Greece. They can't keep bailing them out. They Greek people are protesting the cuts and it is unsettling. A Greek default could trigger another global crisis. This would drive the value of the US Dollar up, hurt exports, and costs many more jobs.

The impact of Regan's numbers would be greater if you posted Obama's directly next to them for comparison (since that is what it looks like the numbers are posted for.)

Like thisvvv?
The unemployment numbers under Reagan did virtually the same things as they are doing now. They didn't go consistently up or consistently down monthly under either president. Some months they ticked up by tenths of a point and some months they ticked down by tenths of a point. Overall, they trended upwardly for both presidents over the exact same span of time (2.5 years). Actually I lied. The numbers trended upwardly for Reagan for over 2 years but only did so under Obama for about his first year and are trending down overall now.

Reagan's were frankly worse. Before Reagan's u/e numbers ultimately topped out at 10.80 pct. in Nov and Dec of '82 there were months where it went down by 1 or 2 tenths of a point even though the overall trend was up. So to look at an increase in by a tenth or 2 now from one month to the next and conclude it's getting worse when the overall trend is down now is quite naive (IMO:tongue:).:2 cents:

Cases in point the u/e rate was 9.4 in Dec ('10) it's 9.1 now....but it was 10.00 in Dec. of 2009. And in either case it looks like overall it topped out at 10.10 in Oct. 2009.

Similarly under Reagan even though the rate trended upward over his first 2.5 years it didn't go up consistently each month. Some months it went up by a tenth or 2...some months it went down by a tenth or 2. It's the same thing we have now. It's gone up by a few tenths but it's nowhere near the 10.1 it was over a year ago.

Never mind the fact that Obama inherited a worse situation by most reasonable accounts.

But you know...FOs doesn't have a way to embed picture books right now so this is the best I can do for you;

This is all in the context of the GOPer ad criticizing Obama as a failure on the economy. So again, let's actually look at the unemployment numbers for both;

Obama: Inherited - Jan 2009, 7.8 pct
Reagan: Inherited - Jan 1981 7.5 pct

Obama: highest u/e rate - Oct 2009 10.10 (9 month mark in his 1st term)
Reagan: highest u/e rate - Nov & Dec 1982 10.80 (1 year, 11 and 12 month mark in his 1st term)

Obama: total months u/e over 10 pct. - 3, Oct, Nov, Dec 2009
Reagan: total months u/e over 10 pct. -10, Sept 1982 - Jun 1983

Obama: 2.5 year mark u/e rate - 9.1
Reagan: 2.5 year mark u/e rate - 9.4

With numbers like that again I ask, where was the outrage??:confused::facepalm::1orglaugh

It has been offered that there's is "outrage" with Obama because u/e is going up. Actually the overall trend (over the course of his presidency so far) is down.:2 cents:

Why the "outrage" under Obama...partly due to the fact that most people have no historical basis for determining nor understanding how the u/e numbers should be performing under the circumstances.
The closest circumstance was under Reagan...Ergo, the point of the comparisons.

It's nice but a couple thousand jobs here and there is peanuts in the overall view of things, especially in an industry as big as the automakers, and especially with how many people it and the economy in general lost.

What you should look at is 2 things IMO; The type of jobs being created and the effect of job creation being a logarithmic effect as opposed to linear. Meaning for example, 3 new, higher paying jobs could have the effect of creating 5 or 6 jobs in the greater economy.:2 cents:

I think what we are basically going to all see is that if it weren't for the Tea Baggers and their ball-sucking sycophants the GOP -- our economy would've turned around much faster and stronger.

This is proof that smart "public" investment in the private sector can reap positive rewards. Look at the alternative proposed by the Tea Baggers--let's let these companies go under, put 300000 more people on unemployment and give all our money to foreign car companies!!

The auto "bailouts" have been an undeniable success on every front for Obama, and thankfully we won't have to here political smear distortion ads about "OH MY! GOVERNMENT TAKING OVER BUSINESS" shit this coming election :facepalm

Fuck the U.S. auto industry, try to repair that crap they build sometime.

:2 cents:

High tech for a penny!

Pretty much every car made in the last 10 years even the most skilled backyard mechanic will have trouble repairing! Doesnt matter what brand you buy! :2 cents:

Pretty much every car made in the last 10 years even the most skilled backyard mechanic will have trouble repairing! Doesnt matter what brand you buy! :2 cents:

Used to be when you were tooling around under the hood of a car and you dropped a socket...you'd hear it hit the ground and you just go under the car then get it. Fat chance nowadays...you can't even see through to the ground under the hood of the simplest rigs out here now with so much junk stuffed under there.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Since this huge up swing. I would say they will be bringing back Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and the rest any time now.

For every "feel good" story I see about how automakers are hiring, and the American Big Two are starting to take smaller, fuel-efficient cars more seriously, I count a hundred SUVs, pick-up trucks, and conversion vans on the road every day on my way to work.

I am tired of people pushing their agenda on others. No one really wants the smaller vehicles. Low powered death traps.

Since this huge up swing. I would say they will be bringing back Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and the rest any time now.

I am tired of people pushing their agenda on others. No one really wants the smaller vehicles. Low powered death traps.

I recently got a car. I got a nicely powered, manual transmission, SMALL car that gets more than 40 miles per gallon all the time.

It was exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for trying! You have not got your finger on the pulse of the North American car buyer.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Thanks for trying! You have not got your finger on the pulse of the North American car buyer.

I do too. :tongue:

The majority of people do not want small, low-powered, cramped, death traps.

Most Americans just don't want small cars Article

I do too. :tongue:

The majority of people do not want small, low-powered, cramped, death traps.

Most Americans just don't want small cars Article

Will, you're likely right. Americans (Canadians have different data) do not want smaller cars. It turns out, that's pretty irrelevant. Why is Honda selling so well? Why are domestic sales starting to have even more problems? It's because they cater to people who think they know what they want, but can't afford 150$ a week in gas.

Honestly - you absolutely may not bitch about gas prices if you buy a car that gets less than 30 MPG. If you do, you're fucking stupid. Get a more efficient car - magically gas prices won't bother you as much.

People will be forced to drive smaller cars. Or they'll just be made fun of when they bitch about gas prices. Either way, it's a win.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/26/jerry-flint-autos-business_automobiles_flint.html

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
People will not be forced to drive smaller vehicles. We will just stop driving so much until they realize they have to drop gas prices.

I recently got a car. I got a nicely powered, manual transmission, SMALL car that gets more than 40 miles per gallon all the time.

It was exactly what I wanted.

I don't agree of the people I know most of them are buying bigger and getting a second small car for small trips like to the dentist and stuff like that or just getting rid of their small cars all together. Though I will say most of them have 2 kids some 3 so the small car really just isn't practical for 3 car seats and the strollers and diaper bags. Minivan's are still the vehicle of choice.