• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Are There Any Star Trek Fans Around Here?

I am a loyal, albeit modest fan of trek and have hated the idea of this movie from the start.

Trek is dead in my books and should be left to drift quietly into the annuls of tv and movie history with some dignity before the likes of the visual atrocity that was enterprise came along. This movie seems like a lucas-like attempt to breathe life into a dead series by going back where no one cares, changing everything to suit and not caring about the damage along the way.

Enterprise was cancelled because it was so bad. As if going back to a pre-kirk era, that was bad enough they opt to go back again with a movie. I read the plot online and it looks, for lack of a better word, shite.

The whole point of trek was to go forward, not back, explore new worlds etc, not double back where weve already been, rearrange what happened to suit and then expect it to fit in with the rest and hope no one notices.

My loathing disgust of the casting choices for the movie aside, I simply wont watch it and want nothing to do with it.

Unlikely, less it be a freebie in a sunday magazine supplement or im rendered immobile through some accident in a steven hawkings like manner that seems my nhs provided overseers put on to keep me occupied in between diaper changes.

Im sorry, but I just cannot say anything positive towards it.

I think Star Trek (2009) is awesome and is just what the franchise needed. I remember seeing Star Trek: Nemesis in theaters and thinking then that the franchise was dead. Star Trek has new life and I'm already anticipating another one. In fact I may go see this one again.

Even the alternate reality thing makes perfect sense to me now. Abrams has completely freed himself from the yolk called "canon", and can now literally take Star Trek where it's never gone before.

Bingo. I gotta admit, I was kinda sad to see the alternate timeline ending. It really has closed the Star Trek canon that we all knew once and for all. But it was incredibly overdue. They can rewrite Trek now with any number of twists. In fact, I'd kinda like to see them really go off on a major tangent, just to see if it might be possible to pull together a new series that doesn't feel like rehashing the same shit over again.

Film's major weakness though is Nero. I still don't quite get what his beef is. Khan Noonien Soong - there was a man with a legitimate grievance.

Yeah, he wasn't the best villain ever. But I get his beef. Vulcans and Romulans have zero trust for each other, even after Spock's attempts at reconciliation in TNG. Its not hard for a man crushed with grief to believe that the one man capable of saving your planet & family just doesn't care enough about them to get there in time.

Modern Day Analogy: Osama bin Laden appears on TV, says that he no longer has any hatred toward the U.S., and wants to make peace. The next day, a terrorist attacks the U.S. Bin Laden admits he knew about it, but insists he did everything he could to stop it. Do the victims' families believe him? Does anyone believe him? Probably not.

Yeah, he wasn't the best villain ever. But I get his beef. Vulcans and Romulans have zero trust for each other, even after Spock's attempts at reconciliation in TNG. Its not hard for a man crushed with grief to believe that the one man capable of saving your planet & family just doesn't care enough about them to get there in time.

******May contain spoilers******

Your planet has been destroyed. I get that.
You've lost your wife. I get that.
You're looking for someone to blame. I get that.
You destroy an innocent Federation Ship. Hmmm...you're pissed for the above reasons, therefore I understand that.

But here's the point where I stop sympathizing. Due to a freak accident you're sent back over 120 years into the past. BEFORE your home was destroyed. Not only that, you've been sent back with the most powerful ship in the entire quadrant.

You were a simple miner in your time. Do you go home, become a god, create the greatest empire the galaxy has ever seen and in the process prevent your home from being destroyed in the first place?

NOOOOO! You languish in space for decades waiting for the guy you hold responsible to show up, only so you can maroon him and give him a show.

That's why Nero sucks IMO.

Wainkerr99

Closed Account
The movie's even better the second time around IMO. (Almost ashamed to admit this, but)ST:The Motion Picture literally put me to sleep. This one kept me on the edge of my seat both times. This is Star Trek on speed and I'm hooked. Already counting down to the sequel. Even the alternate reality thing makes perfect sense to me now. Abrams has completely freed himself from the yolk called "canon", and can now literally take Star Trek where it's never gone before. Film's major weakness though is Nero. I still don't quite get what his beef is. Khan Noonien Soong - there was a man with a legitimate grievance.

Ha!

Wainkerr99

Closed Account
I would love to see the DVD, for the special features. I wait anxiously to hear whether J.J. Abrams will have anything to say about the red matter. He had that big red ball in "Alias", now this one.

It was good to see a bit of Vulcan. The Enterprise ship looked better that the TV original. The visuals of the deflector array were lovely.

Abrams manages to meld action and emotion so well. Also, the actor choice for young Spock was right on.

I always remember people mocking Star Trek for the ideas of other civilisations, cloaking, beaming technology and other such things, all of which are being developed.

Does anyone else notice how Sylar [from Heroes] looks out of place as Spock in the new movie. He is a glaiket looking bastard. Me thinks they could have chosen someone more suited to the role in the looks department. WTF were they thinking getting Sylar to be Spock he is ALMOST as annoying as Simon Pegg as Scotty.

The original show is great, the next generation was pretty good but I gave up after that with the various other versions, it just took itself too seriously & had a far too snobby self-important attitude. The movies with the new crew have all been awful but Abrams as done it! Made Star Trek cool again, returned the fun factor! Roll on the sequel!!

Does anyone else notice how Sylar [from Heroes] looks out of place as Spock in the new movie. He is a glaiket looking bastard. Me thinks they could have chosen someone more suited to the role in the looks department. WTF were they thinking getting Sylar to be Spock he is ALMOST as annoying as Simon Pegg as Scotty.

Actually I thought he was a great choice to play a young Spock when he was first cast. After seeing the movie I think he's still a great choice. In fact I like all of the people they picked for the crew of the Enterprise.

I thought Zachary Quinto did a great job with the part. It was different than Nemoy's Spock, but not at all bad. Nemoy had a great way of giving Spock just the hint of emotion buried underneath a cool exterior, whereas Quinto does a better job of doing the utterly dispassionate Vulcan demeanor that suddenly explodes into full emotion. They have different emotions they suppress better than others as well: Nemoy was better at showing humor and amusement breaking through Spock's mask, while Quinto is darker and reveals the anger and sadness within (though those were both largely the result of the storylines around them as well... Shatner and Kelley were always cracking jokes around Nemoy's Spock, while Quinto's Spock is dealing with a huge tragedy).

The character I loved more than any other, however, was Karl Urban's McCoy. The personality, mannerisms, and dialogue were absolutely perfect. I think DeForest Kelley (RIP) would have been thrilled and impressed by the combination of imitation and expansion on the character.

Never been a Trek fan (though the Gorn is pretty cool), but I enjoyed JJ Abrams Star Trek for what it was. It definately gave the franchise a much needed boost that was sorely needed.

I'm a Star Trek fan, and also liked the new movie. I will admit that after forty years of continuity, the new reality and future deviations from the prime reality will be tough to get used to if the new reality continues in whatever form. I think its great the direction that star trek has been taken into. It now seems that it will be much more dark than it was in the past.

I'm a Trek fan myself. My favorite series was The Next Generation. I did greatly the new movie. I think it's a great new direction for the franchise.

Wainkerr99

Closed Account
I love how Star Trek has fired the imagination of scientists. Although I don't have conclusive, earth shattering, bulletproof, incontrovertible, indisputable proof that today's science projects are spurred on by the lore, it would seem to have influence.

What I really like is how people used to scoff and mock at Star Trek. They made their jokes about 'beaming technology', diverse life on other planets, cloaking, etc., all of which may become commonplace sooner than most folk think.

In the direct to DVD film "Trekkies", James Doohan was talking about a student who entered the field of science based upon her love for Star Trek. There also accounts of people who decided to carry on living after all. You see on that DVD how fans get together all over the world, united by their love for the genre.