• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Anybody Seen "The Wrestler"?

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
WOW.....is all I can say. What a fantastic flick. Mickey Rourke is incredible in this powerful, poignant and painful story of an old wrestler in the twilight of his career and life. Absolutely brilliant IMO. Oscar-worthy for sure.

Anyone else see this yet? Trailer here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-GFxjTyV0

Best movie I've seen in a long time. :thumbsup:

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
I haven't seen it yet, but I want to. It seems that everybody and their mom is raving about it.

....and the Marisa Tomei stripping/dance scene surely doesn't hurt, either, does it???

I'll wait for it on DVD.I'm still pissed off with Darren Aronofsky with that last steaming shit pile that he put out,The Fountain.Loved Pi and Requiem For A Dream though.

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
I have a dvd screener of it and I've yet to watch it. I hear it's really good.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
My advice is don't wait for it on DVD. See it on the big screen. The filming technique is almost documentary-like....awesome. It's not just for wrestling fans either. If you are a fan of the human condition and the accompanying trials and tribulations, see this movie. Riveting.

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
My advice is don't wait for it on DVD. See it on the big screen. The filming technique is almost documentary-like....awesome. It's not just for wrestling fans either. If you are a fan of the human condition and the accompanying trials and tribulations, see this movie. Riveting.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like you really like that movie. I am a fan of human condition movies. Give me those movies over some of the shit that are called movies any day.

I haven't seen it yet.

I hope Mickey Rourke gets an Oscar for this.

Is this movie for fans of wrestling? I actually treat wrestling seriously (as you do, I believe) and I thought this was kind of a mockery of wrestling thinly-veiled as a Mickey Rourke comeback vehicle.

I am definitely a fan of "the human condition"...which Slumdog Millionaire was supposed to also feature, yet I thought it came up short in that department too, kind of...

broderic_randal

Closed Account
i want to see the wrestler, but i am going to wait until it comes out on dvd, movie theatre prices are way to high

i have never even heard of mickey rourke until this movie came out

I saw it yesterday. I'm a wrestling fan and I really liked it. I've always thought Mickey Rourke was great when he had the right director. Francis Ford Coppola directed him in Rumblefish and The Rainmaker - I think that was the name of it. Both were about his best performances ever, in my opinion, and this one is in that same vein.

Marisa Tomei was great also. If I went into a strip club and saw her with that nice bod - great natural boobs and really nice ass - I'd be happy to get dances from her.

It was also cool to see Ernie "The Cat" Miller as Mickey Rourke's main wrestling rival. I didn't think the movie trivialized wrestling. It showed a lot of camaraderie among the wrestlers. It certainly painted a bleak picture of someone that's sacrificed absolutely every other relationship in his life in his chase for the adoration of his fans, but that can be said about people in lots of professions - and has been. It's a unique take to put it in the wrestling world. In interviews, Mickey Rourke talked about being at screenings where the film was shown for current and retired wrestlers and for Vince McMahon and they all liked it.

Ron Killings and Austin Aries are in it also - I don't think either one would be happy to be in a movie that treated wrestling poorly. I highly recommend the movie. As to whether it's a movie that "needs" to be seen on the big screen, I wouldn't make that claim so much - but see it somewhere.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
I saw it last night, it is an amazing movie. In my opinion, the best movie of 2008.

I was left speechless at the ending.

I thought it was very good. One of the most heart filled movies of 08 for sure.

Doesn't compare to Gran Torino, but is damn good though.

Funny news related to this movie - Mickey Rourke is now slated to wrestle Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania XXV in April - I think it's in April. I shit you not! Rourke was being trained by Afa, a Samoan dude whose whole family are wrestlers. So it's not gonna be anything great, but it should be more than just a bowl of balls.