• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

An Etiquette Question... #5

You have an old friend that you've been close to for many years. You've spent a lot of time together. You enjoy each others company. Your old friend introduces you to their significant other and the two of you get along quite well, and eventually become friends too. You like them both individually, and together as a couple. To all outward appearances they seem to get along quite well. However, while at a party which the significant other is not attending, your friend goes off with another person. Later they admit to you that they're having an affair on their significant other.

Do you tell the significant other because they too are your friend? Do you ignore it because you've known your old friend longer or because you don't want to get involved? Do you council your friend against cheating and warn that you'll spill the beans if they do it again? Do you try to break your old friend and his significant other up because you figure maybe you'll get a shot at the significant other if it happens and better you getting that sweet, sweet lovin' than your old friend? Or do you try to break up everyone, even people not involved with this scenario, because if you can't be happy then Goddammit no one can!?

What do you do? What do you do...?

You have an old friend that you've been close to for many years. You've spent a lot of time together. You enjoy each others company. Your old friend introduces you to their significant other and the two of you get along quite well, and eventually become friends too. You like them both individually, and together as a couple. To all outward appearances they seem to get along quite well. However, while at a party which the significant other is not attending, your friend goes off with another person. Later they admit to you that they're having an affair on their significant other.

Do you tell the significant other because they too are your friend? Do you ignore it because you've known your old friend longer or because you don't want to get involved? Do you council your friend against cheating and warn that you'll spill the beans if they do it again? Do you try to break your old friend and his significant other up because you figure maybe you'll get a shot at the significant other if it happens and better you getting that sweet, sweet lovin' than your old friend? Or do you try to break up everyone, even people not involved with this scenario, because if you can't be happy then Goddammit no one can!?

I'll answer this by phrasing it this way:

How would YOU react if you found out the woman you were dating, fucking and maybe even thinking of marrying was cheating on you? Would YOU wanna know? Whatever your answer is - same thing applies here.

As for me: If my s/o was cheating on me I'd wanna know. You can't have a successful long term relationship without trust - no matter if it is personal or business or........... If you are always wondering if your partner is being faithful you need to break up with them before things get worse.

I'd tell the woman because I'd want her to tell me if the tables were turned. Just know chances are your friendship with the guy is probably over - but you need to be able to look yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and be happy with what you did and to me - I would be happy doing this

As for this woman..............if she is HOT - part of me would wanna see if I could step in and be her guy but that might take some time. If you wanna do this you can't go for it ASAP. You need to be ther to talk and be a shoulder to cry on and show her you are someone she can trust and then you can take her out to LUNCH and talk to her and after she has seen you are right explore the possibility of dating her knowing if she says NO your relationship with her is over, too

I'll answer this by phrasing it this way:

How would YOU react [...] If you wanna do this you can't go for it ASAP. [...]

I always give my take on it eventually. Just to be clear; These questions (this is the fifth) have all been hypothetical (though most have been based on situations I've been in, but already responded to). It's not that I'm truly looking for advice, so much as asking people for their thoughts on the situation, and trying to generate some type of discussion about social expectations, conduct and morality (because obviously FreeOnes is the best place for that ;)).

A variant of this scenario happened to me.

You have an old friend that you've been close to for many years. You've spent a lot of time together. You enjoy each others company. Your old friend introduces you to their significant other and the two of you get along quite well, and eventually become friends too. You like them both individually, and together as a couple. To all outward appearances they seem to get along quite well.

Yeah, with you so far, 100%. I really liked the significant other. Nikki had kind of known my friend already because she had dated somebody on his sports team, but how she met him properly clawed at me. She sent me a message after seeing my MSN profile (yes) saying "I think I've seen you on campus, I'd like to hang out" but my profile pic was me with my mate so I assumed it was him she was after, and by the time I met her face to face she'd started going out with him. She was 100% my type and I was full of passionate sexual jealousy.

Two years later.....

However, while at a party which the significant other is not attending, your friend goes off with another person. Later they admit to you that they're having an affair on their significant other.

What happened to me was not that my friend admitted the affair but the significant other. But she did more than confess an affair.

The first thing Nikki did was tell me that actually, it had been me that she wanted to hang out with when she sent me that message. Turns out she was in some of my lectures (I knew we were on the same course) sat at the back and she used to get a kick out of me arguing with my lecturers and dissecting some of the established theories (I was a brilliant "angry young man" once, it was another lifetime) and she said "I was kind of sad at the time, and you always looked kind of sad, I thought we could cheer each other up." I told her to stop messing with my head, so she grabbed me by the testicles through my trousers and licked my earlobe, as if to show me she was serious when she said "I wanted you first."

So I got really confused and said words to the effect of "you're moving in with my best friend, this is not good" and her exact words were "would you walk me home and fuck me up the arse?" I stammered that I couldn't do this, she was moving in with my best friend. "I really miss him" she said, to which I replied "you have a funny way of showing it." Turns out that all Nikki's previous boyfriends have wanted to buttfuck her, so she let them. My mate wasn't into that, and this bothered her for some reason. She then went with "Will you walk me home and fuck me normal?" I told her she was missing the point, it wasn't the sodomy that was the problem but the fact she was about to move in with my best friend. I told her I wanted to, but I couldn't. She started playing up that she was just lonely, and asked "will you walk me home and just hold me for a while?" I said I could probably do that but not until the end of the night.

Nikki then unloaded that she knew who "The One" was, and it wasn't my mate. It was her ex-boyfriend, the one who played sports with my best mate. I asked why she was moving in with him if she knew he wasn't "The One" and she didn't know. She also confessed that when her and my mate would have their big arguments from time to time and break up, only to reconcile a few hours later, she would find time to screw someone else. Usually her ex. I was gobsmacked. At the end of the night, I had other priorities and was worried what "holding" could lead to so stayed with my friends long after kicking-out-time, and Nikki went home with her ex.

.... yeah. So I basically told everyone I knew practically what had happened - friends, mama, everyone. Practically everyone told me the same thing - if you're his friend, tell him. His future happiness is at stake, he deserves better. You can't keep this kind of thing from him. Everyone except my other best friend, who told me :

"No good can come of telling him. Best case scenario he believes you, they split up over it, she never speaks to you again, and even if he's grateful, he'll hold it against you and it will never be the same between you again. Worst case scenario, he doesn't believe you, they still together and your friendship with him is over."

So... I didn't tell him. A few weeks later the friend that gave me that advice started cheating on his significant other, funnily enough. 9 years later he's married to the girl and they have a baby girl. Nikki and my other mate are still together, engaged with two little girls. We kind of drifted apart anyway, he let me down pretty badly a few years ago when I was going through shit and needed some support.

I don't know what I regret more, not telling my mate what kind of treacherous headcase he was about to start a new life with, or not fucking the headcase when I had the chance. If I'd decided I was going to tell him, our friendship would likely have been over anyway, might as well get my dick wet first. Probably would have been more trouble than it was worth, but I know from the noises through the wall that she was a demon in bed.

Don't betray the friendship of the one you were friends with first. These situations have a history of backfiring on the whistleblower. It appears you have a bit of my best friend's girl syndrome going on here. If you tell her, she will argue with him. They may even break up for a short period of time. He will convince her that it was nothing and she will believe him because she wants to believe him and you will lose 2 friends.

I always thought it more important friends to know I could keep a secret, than tell everybody what information someone shared with me.

So does it matter that this wasn't really a secret, but something they openly did at a party and that you witnessed? Obviously the person isn't exactly being discreet about it.

I don't know what I regret more, not telling my mate what kind of treacherous headcase he was about to start a new life with...

So based on your somewhat similar scenario you'd tell the person, since having been in the situation before you didn't and regret it? Or do you more regret it because of that specific situation, and because this friend of yours let you down?

what you do is talk to a therapist, not some random people on the internet

Whatever answer a therapist gives would probably be less interesting, and likely less an answer than a Socratic question...

So based on your somewhat similar scenario you'd tell the person, since having been in the situation before you didn't and regret it? Or do you more regret it because of that specific situation, and because this friend of yours let you down?

A little from Column A, a little from Column B. Everything that's happened virtually since that night has made me realize the friendship wasn't worth protecting so much, but ultimately I have been plagued by feelings of guilt that a better friend would have told him what his mrs was up to.

I'm actually in the situation you've described, where the friend is the cheating party, near enough. My best friend of 17 years is carrying on two affairs behind the back of his girlfriend of four years and mother of his daughter, who I get on really well with and consider my friend. But I wouldn't dream of saying anything, it's not my place. Everyone has a hierarchy, and mine goes (1) Myself, (2) My BFFF. I tell him he's a bastard, but I wouldn't dream of dropping him in the shit.

GodsEmbryo

Closed Account
So does it matter that this wasn't really a secret, but something they openly did at a party and that you witnessed? Obviously the person isn't exactly being discreet about it.

No. If they aren't discrete about it themselves that's their problem.
The thing is that if a friend tells me something in trust, I will respect that trust and not tell it. If it eventually comes out, it might very well be that the other friend is going to be angry because I didn't tell him/her. but I'd rather have someone be mad at me because I didn't harm this trust, then someone be mad at me (probably both) because I did. It's a matter of respect for myself I think.

If you don't tell your friend they're being cheated on, you're a piece of shit.

And you're a bigger piece of shit for meddling in affairs that don't fucking concern you. Let them settle that shit between them and don't get involved, just keep your mouth shut.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
As said above, keep your mouth shut. You don't know everything that is going on in any relationship or even need to know. Let them work their own shit out.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut.

Well, I suppose it's time to address the topic myself...

And really, I don't think there's a good answer. Either way you're betraying a friend, and loyalty is important. That said, these days I'd tend to think I'd tell the friend/significant other.

Why? Well, I was in this situation before. I saw a friend cheating. I talked to the guy and he admitted it. I told him to stop, and he said no. I told him his girlfriend was my friend too and what he was doing was gong to hurt her, and he played it off like it was no big deal. I told him if he didn't I might have to tell, and he said that I wouldn't do that to him... and honestly I wasn't sure if I would or wouldn't. I hummed and hawed over it for a few days, not being sure how to respond. Eventually I didn't have to because he gave her crabs, so she kinda figured it out on her own the hard way. And really, he could have brought home something way worse.

So yeah, I tend to think I'd spill the beans. It's a dick move, but so is not spilling the beans. You're betraying a loyalty either way, so you have to look for the best bad option. I think in this case that's probably saying something. :dunno:

So yeah, I tend to think I'd spill the beans. It's a dick move, but so is not spilling the beans. You're betraying a loyalty either way, so you have to look for the best bad option. I think in this case that's probably saying something. :dunno:

See, I just can't see it that way. Like I said, hierarchy. Your friend has been there for you longer than the significant other. It's the selfish call, and it's the one that causes you the least hassle, you're basically choosing who means more to you and fucking over the other, but that's the call I would (and do) make. My best friend has been there for me through ALL of life's traumas, from problems with bullys to breakups to bereavement. I like his mrs, I would call her my friend, and what my BFFFF is doing to her is horrible, but no way do I give up the truest friendship I have by grassing him in to his other half, even though ethically it's the "right thing."

Well, I suppose it's time to address the topic myself...

And really, I don't think there's a good answer. Either way you're betraying a friend, and loyalty is important. That said, these days I'd tend to think I'd tell the friend/significant other.

Why? Well, I was in this situation before. I saw a friend cheating. I talked to the guy and he admitted it. I told him to stop, and he said no. I told him his girlfriend was my friend too and what he was doing was gong to hurt her, and he played it off like it was no big deal. I told him if he didn't I might have to tell, and he said that I wouldn't do that to him... and honestly I wasn't sure if I would or wouldn't. I hummed and hawed over it for a few days, not being sure how to respond. Eventually I didn't have to because he gave her crabs, so she kinda figured it out on her own the hard way. And really, he could have brought home something way worse.

cool story bro, but you ain't got to lie to kick it here