• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

America's Shopping Malls Are Dying A Slow, Ugly Death

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Usually, only one or a few large stores are the main reason malls survive.
A large part of these closures are due to the increase of online shopping.
I buy a lot of stuff online, but mainly because I can't find a lot of stuff at any local stores in my city.
I would still prefer to buy stuff from a local store.

http://www.businessinsider.com/shopping-malls-are-going-extinct-2014-1

I prefer to buy local, too. And I'm not sad that the malls are going. I think part of the reason is the big, open spaces inside that are NOT retail space - the corridors. They have to be heated, maintained, and so forth, and that cost is reflected in higher rent for the stores.

Malls are not necessary, in my opinion. Smaller stores means more stops currently, or perhaps it will lead to better city planning.

vanlee1

IMAGINE
This is a sad reality, where will we hang out on our days off and when the family reunions comes around...

Maybe the malls will try to adapt and integrate new features to their stores like ordering online and pick-up at the stores.

Harley Spencer

Official Checked Star Member
I like malls, but I prefer shopping online. I can find so many better deals on amazon and ebay than in store. I mean really, lingerie for $2.50 from a store from China on ebay vs. lingerie for $50 at a local store? Can't beat that! I mean, I can find some that are, say, $14 sometimes locally, but not if I want something really sexy. That's where shopping online comes in. More choices, better prices, and no having to run around for 5 hours in the city looking for the right thing.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
This is a sad reality, where will we hang out on our days off and when the family reunions comes around...

Maybe the malls will try to adapt and integrate new features to their stores like ordering online and pick-up at the stores.

Not just malls, but brick & mortar stores overall. I mean, think about it: you can walk into a store and find what you like. You can look at it. You can hold it. You can color match it. Then you whip out your phone, find a cheaper price online and order from Amazon or Overstock. Brick & mortar stores have become showrooms for online retailers. About the only ones that are safe are grocery stores, and even they are now at risk, what with Amazon and others now delivering groceries.

But you make an interesting point: where will people go to congregate? I hate malls. I've always hated malls. Even when I was in my 20's, if I went to the mall with my fiancee, I'd sit out by the fountain with the old men. But for a lot of people, malls are (or were) the place to hang out. Where will the mall rats go???

We have the odd mall over here. I hate them. Nothing to do with shopping, shopping is fine, having all the shops together is great, having cinema and fast food places/cheap restaurants in the vicinity is convenient. It's the environment they host over here that I can't stand. Fat wrecks in trackies towing their seventeen bastard children around with them spending their fraudulent benefit payments on big screen TVs and PlayStations. Uncontrolled feral kids running around colliding with the innocent, dripping the contents of their Greggs bags all over the place and leaving their sticky fingerprints on things you might have wanted to buy. Zombies trundling down the corridors five-abreast forming a slow-moving human chain preventing me from getting past and actually making it to the shop I want to before the mall shuts. Scummy mouth-breathers, mindless drones and the young offenders of the future running amok.

Might not necessarily be malls. Maybe I just don't like people.

Where will the mall rats go???

Probably hang out outside the Quick Stop, or head to the nearest Mooby's.

georges

Staff member
I try to buy local as much as possible. I also buy online but only when I don't have the time to buy in specialized shops or when it is too expensive

Harley Spencer

We have the odd mall over here. I hate them. Nothing to do with shopping, shopping is fine, having all the shops together is great, having cinema and fast food places/cheap restaurants in the vicinity is convenient. It's the environment they host over here that I can't stand. Fat wrecks in trackies towing their seventeen bastard children around with them spending their fraudulent benefit payments on big screen TVs and PlayStations. Uncontrolled feral kids running around colliding with the innocent, dripping the contents of their Greggs bags all over the place and leaving their sticky fingerprints on things you might have wanted to buy. Zombies trundling down the corridors five-abreast forming a slow-moving human chain preventing me from getting past and actually making it to the shop I want to before the mall shuts. Scummy mouth-breathers, mindless drones and the young offenders of the future running amok.

Might not necessarily be malls. Maybe I just don't like people.

Probably hang out outside the Quick Stop, or head to the nearest Mooby's.

Haha! I love this post. I feel exactly the same way. You just worded it in a much more amusing manner than I would have.

I hate people. I love Times Square, Central Park, beaches, amusement parks, going out to eat, going to movies, going to bars, etc. but I absolutely hate all the crowds. People walking slow, children screaming and running around, dancing around my legs, homeless folks begging for money, people not picking up after their dogs doo-doo and leaving myself and other poor folks to step in it, people spending 15 minutes to read a map and block it from view that 15,000 other people are trying to read, long lines, listening to people argue, people raising their voices, creepers following me around and hitting on me, trash all over the place. Yuck. This is all why I prefer to stay in, lounge on my bed, and watch movies and play video games. Although lately I haven't had much time for the lounging bit, it's all been work, but still, generally that's how I feel.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Not to mention all the bacteria and viruses that other people are infected with and leave on everything they touch.
I don't really like malls, but I prefer to go to a local store and try something before I buy it, and if I buy it and don't like it, it's easier to return it to a local store.
I just read somewhere that BestBuy, Sears and other companies are laying off store workers because more people are buying online.
I remember about 10~15 years ago, there were websites with 3D virtual stores that you could "walk" thru and look at the items they sold.
Never caught on though, probably because it was too ahead of it's time...maybe the time has come for virtual 3D stores and malls on the internet.
Kind of like a WOW type virtual mall where u can shop and meet your friends online, and shop or hag out together, would be interesting to try.

Malls and brick and mortar stores just seem so archaic. Browse, click and delivered to my door or digitally. And one day, that's going to be archaic. By then, retailers will know what you're going to buy before you do and have physical items delivered via your personal teleporter. Like it, keep it, otherwise zap it back.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Malls and brick and mortar stores just seem so archaic. Browse, click and delivered to my door or digitally. And one day, that's going to be archaic. By then, retailers will know what you're going to buy before you do and have physical items delivered via your personal teleporter. Like it, keep it, otherwise zap it back.

Before that happens, there will be a 3rd world war or some other disaster, hundreds of millions or maybe billions will die, society will collapse and then we'll spend centuries in darkness before rebuilding our societies.
But if the Vulcans, or some other advanced race decides to come and help us, we can rebuild in a few decades.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Perfect 10 in Minnesota / Mall of America, still going strong, will get even bigger

Speaking in the hushed tones

common to medical waiting rooms, receptionist Juli Velebir was struggling to

sum up just what it is that makes the Mall of America such a dumbfounding and

fascinating quirk of modern culture. Then she smiled and nodded.

"Well," Velebir whispered, "you can get homemade apple pie, a vasectomy,

and get married, all in the mall. And all in a short afternoon."

Ten years after it opened - and after almost everyone predicted it would

perish swiftly in an ugly retail wreck - the largest, strangest mall in the

United States has not only succeeded, it has boomed.

You can indeed get a little outpatient surgery at the Quello Clinic, while

the kids ride the Pepsi Ripsaw Roller Coaster at Camp Snoopy amusement park,

perhaps, and your spouse studies accounting at National American University.

Assuming the surgery goes well, you might all be up for a bite at one of 50

restaurants, some shopping at the 520 stores, perhaps topping off the day with

a visit to the world's largest turtle collection.

The United States has about 46,000 shopping centers, according to the

International Council of Shopping Centers. The Mall of America stands alone,

however, as the temple to modern American consumerism, in all its glory and

gaudiness, ingenuity and excess, with all its piles and stacks and storerooms

of stuff.

Seven Yankee Stadiums would fit inside the 4.2-million-square-foot

behemoth. Theme park visitors had eaten 14,991,360 funnel cakes as of earlier

this year. The mall has gone through 96 million feet of toilet paper and 5 1/2

million trash bags.

Mall of America draws 43 million visitors a year, rings up annual sales of

about $900 million and has an occupancy rate of 99 percent.

It was the first major mall to include high-end stores, such as Nordstrom,

and discounters such as Marshall's, sometimes just a few doors away from one

another. It provided assistance for upstart retailers, and organized tour

packages for out-of-towners.

Most notably, however, the mall's developers bet early on that shoppers did

not want only to shop when they went to the mall. They would, the developers

predicted, come for entertainment as well.

With Camp Snoopy and its 30 rides as the entertainment anchor, developers

added several nightclubs, the Lego Imagination Center - from which 156,000 Lego

blocks have vanished - a neon-blue-hued bowling alley.

"We opened a mall," said spokeswoman Monica Davis, "but we grew into an

attraction."

Today, Mall of America lures more visitors annually than the Grand Canyon,

Graceland and Walt Disney World combined. And about 40 percent of those people

are considered tourists, meaning they have traveled more than 150 miles to get

here. About 6 percent of those have come from other countries.

Now the mall is planning to expand, more than doubling in size, by adding

what officials hope will be complementary rather than competitive projects,

such as hotels, office space, perhaps a luxury spa. Groundbreaking is slated

for 2003 or 2004.

"I never thought it would make it, never," recalled Murray Forseter, editor

and publisher of the trade publication Chain Store Age. Forseter was not alone

in his predication.

Four Canadian brothers in the mid-1980s proposed building a

10-million-square-foot mega-mall on the site of the empty Metropolitan Stadium

in Minneapolis, modeled after the giant West Edmonton Mall in Canada . That

size would decrease over the years of planning, but the developers pushed ahead

toward a gargantuan indoor everything-center despite the scoffs of critics.

What many early critics perceived as weaknesses in the plan became selling

points.

"We're here a lot in the summer but all the time in the winter," said Jodi

Shafer as her two young daughters and their friend dug through a pile of shiny

rocks at a gem stand this recent day. "What else are you going to do? This is

Minnesota."

Over the years, the Simon Property Group - one of the original

co-developers, which now runs the mall, Roosevelt Field and others on Long

Island - has worked to increase the number of reasons to come, and to stay.

The mall now contains a bank, a Northwest Airlines travel center, the only

full-service Post Office in a mall. There is the medical clinic, a dental

clinic, the Sage Clinic, which screens uninsured and underinsured women for

breast and cervical cancer.

More than 3,500 couples have been married in the Chapel of Love.

When they opened in 1994, the owners expected "a lot of Elvises, a lot of

zany people," said manager Sue Mills. An overwhelming majority have been

traditional, however. People preparing to tie the knot love the fact that they

can buy their tuxedos, wedding dresses, cake and photographs, all in the mall,

and have the reception in one of the restaurants.

Article

I remember as a 13 year old kid, it wasn't about shopping. Friends and I would wake up on a saturday, get on the bus and head for the mall to hangout. Spend like 3 hours in Aladdin's Castle (for those that dont know Aladdin's Castle, it was an arcade game room) playing street fighter, killer instinct, air hockey, skeeball, and whatnot. Then you get a corn dog and walk the mall for another 2 hours, i mean believe it or not, walking around the mall and not buying anything was fun. meeting girls from other school districts was delightful, you could lie to them, tell them anything cause they didnt go to your school :) sometimes after walking, we would head to the food court and grab a soda and a slice of pepperoni and mushroom pizza from luca pizza, or grab some chick-fil-la; find a table and talk about the phone numbers we got, talk about hoes from our class, talk about who dead, whos in jail, or what we're going to do on school monday. as a kid, i didnt care about the commerce going on in the mall, it was just a really cool place to hang instead of being cooped up in a house.

:)

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
people like being cooped up. and they can't keep off of their phones and facebook. its hard to walk through the mall while on facebook.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Cyber shoppers don't belong in malls.

Harley Spencer

people like being cooped up. and they can't keep off of their phones and facebook. its hard to walk through the mall while on facebook.

Cyber shoppers don't belong in malls.

I am not one of these people. I'm hardly ever on my phone, not even when I'm at home. I text maybe a whopping 4 people, very rarely. When my boyfriend is in CA for months at a time, I text him. Every few months, I text my mom. Every week or so, I text my webmaster. And every once in a while, I text an old friend to see if they'd like to meet up for a drink. Matter of fact, I haven't texted anyone in 4 days.

I can't wrap my head around how so many people constantly have their faces shoved into phones, tablets, laptops, nooks, or whatever other device they have. You go out to see a movie to watch a movie, not text. You go out to the park to enjoy a nice walk and pretty scenery, not to sit there and text. You meet up with friends for lunch to socialize, yet you're sitting there on your phone, not even talking to the people sitting right there in front of you. Why bother going out at all?

I don't go out much for a number of reasons, but when I do, I'm actually present in whatever it is I'm doing.

Anyway, yeah, I agree. Too many people with their faces stuck in their devices. I'm such a technology scrooge. I remember when I went to Game Stop about a month ago, and I had recently joined their power up rewards program, for which I had a buy 2 get 1 free coupon that was with my membership. When I got to the store, they told me that I had to download an app and have them scan something on my phone in order to use the coupon. Freaking kidding me? What if I didn't have a smart phone? I didn't used to. Up until August of 2013, I was still using a go-phone. Ridiculous that you'd need to use an app in order to use your membership, seeing as you're given a card for said membership, so should that coupon and all of your membership information not be stored on the card? I don't get it. Everything is going technology.

[B][URL="https://www.freeones.com/lacey-black said:
Lacey Black[/URL][/B], post: 8190809, member: 259053"]Good riddance. Every time I go to a mall they never have what I'm looking for and I have to be reminded of how many dumb people exist in this world.
Oh my God. I have to stop agreeing with you Lacey.