• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

$535 million stimulus enriched solar panel mfgr goes bankrupt

:surprise: If this is true...wtf caused their bankruptcy, this story and the accompanying thread??:1orglaugh

The housing crisis which was engineered by Barnie Frank, Freddie Mac Fannie Mae who told banks to make loans.

The gov't should stay out of deciding who/what/where in spending.

The housing crisis which was engineered by Barnie Frank, Freddie Mac Fannie Mae who told banks to make loans.
Yeah...we know Tri...it was allllll Barnie Frank who made that come to pass"..the low income home buyer can have just as nice a house as anybody else..."

The gov't should stay out of deciding who/what/where in spending.

The g'ment has been in the business of underwriting loans for decades. :stfu: Besides that, so it's your theory (on the OP story) that ONLY but for these people using g'ment money their endeavor went bankrupt.:facepalm:

Yeop it was Barnie Frank. Forcing banks to make loans that could never be repaid.

C

cindy CD/TV

2201e0.jpg

Your charts are compelling to be sure. :) But consider that the United States is waaaaaaay bigger than Germany with a LOT more people AND homes (an important distinction) spread out over a vast land mass. Our investments in solar energy, according to your charts, are certainly paltry compared to fossil fuels. The reason for this, I suspect, is because we won't get the same bang for our buck if we were to invest the same amount in solar vs. fossil fuels. In other words, the same amount invested in a set of solar panels will yield less power per unit for the same dollar as a gallon of heating oil. Every single home and business in the country, in my view, would need a bank of solar panels just to provide basic power. To say nothing of how we're going to power our cars or produce plastics (or anything else petrochemical based). Don't misunderstand me, though, I'm NOT defending the oil companies or how this country has put renewable energy on the backburner for the last 30+ years. IMO, to make the best of a bad situation now, is combine more domestic fossil fuel production along with nuke power and green energy (solar, wind). This is short-term. Like 20 years or so. Then start praying. I don't want to depend on nuke power for obvious reasons:an accident would yield catastrophic consequences; and the spent fuel rods are toxic for thousands of years. Same goes for hydrogren (think: Hindenburg). Solar and wind power alone simply won't be able to meet our power needs no matter how many of them we can practically build.

We just better hope scientists can figure out how to run a car and power a football stadium using water or something. :eek:

I got a chuckle out of this thread.

Corruption and a system that is set up to catch the criminal if they can, not prevent the theft. Not good.

So, immediately throw stones at Bush. I voted for him once, not the second time. Whatever that means, but it gets old to just use this defense all the time.

Solar energy - yes, we need to spend more on it. Even when the US implements solar they use foreign companies to do it. IMO, the subsidies should at least give a priority to US companies.

The chart - none of it is a lie. Some of it is factual from what I can tell and some of it marketing. The marketing taints it a bit.:2 cents:

I'll beat up on Reagan for killing Carter's programs.

That is merely true not utterly true. For example, defense contractors rely heavily (if not exclusively in most cases) on the 'gubment' to produce products that are wildly impractical if it were just a matter of economics. The g'ment(s) create a marketplace for their products and they fund them.

But that's beside the point of this circumstance involving the stimulus and solar
It's perfectly okay IMO for the g'ment to encourage technological entrepreneurship through financial incentives....after all, our g'ment has been doing it for decades in the form of SBIR grants (for example).

True, and good points. But technology to go fighting wars is a little different from a product that a consumer can buy to generate power and hopefully lower his electric bills and be "green" in the process. :2 cents:

I got a chuckle out of this thread.
Nice to know.
Corruption and a system that is set up to catch the criminal if they can, not prevent the theft. Not good.
Well, the system is set up to prevent theft and catch the criminal if they can. You can't have a system to catch a criminal without a system designed to prevent theft undergirding it in the first place, right?? That is the purpose of guidelines, requirements, etc. going in.
So, immediately throw stones at Bush. I voted for him once, not the second time. Whatever that means, but it gets old to just use this defense all the time.
:confused:

Facetious

Moderated
They don't. The g'ment made available funds for certain endeavors. No business was forced to engage in those business ventures at the prodding of the g'ment and they were free to make good on deliverables as they saw fit.

The ones that offer kickbacks, duh!... or, doah! more appropriately.

If this is true...wtf caused their bankruptcy. . ?]

We'll leave that up to the FBI, they might find something, then again, they probably won't being that the obama administration cannot and will not be held to account for anything... you see, it's in his skin color... nice shield there big guy. :facepalm: Can I become a member of a once oppressed race and become potus too?

Facetious

Moderated
More than two years after President Obama took office vowing to banish “special interests” from his administration, nearly 200 of his biggest donors have landed plum government jobs, advisory posts, won federal contracts and have been invited to white house parties... anti special interests, my ass, this is transparent of a lie as the day is light!

What percentage of Germany's electricity comes from solar power? Does it justify all the subsidies solar energy gets?
Their idiotic plan to shut down all nuclear power will affect the price of electricity in all of Europe! solar doesn't count for s*** It's expensive, and it's unreliable.

If an idea is doeable and profitable, it will be done WITHOUT any help from the gubment. Period.

That certainly wasn't the case 50 years ago. Globalization may have rendered Gov't support as a secondary measure today. When it's in the best interests of the nation to CHANGE out of fossil fuels you can see how the Govt has an impetus to affect that change otherwise we're at the mercy of an oligopoly to bring out change which is something that they have no financial incentive to do. Surely you can see that.

For those who caught it, I think The Daily Show outlined it nicely.

Stewart was funny - He told Fox News to call their doctor because they were going to have an erection over this that would last more than 4 hours.

lol

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Obama fundraiser linked to loan program that aided Solyndra

The revelation is likely to spur new inquiries about the solar company's political influence. Separately, California lawmakers seek investigation of a state tax break the firm received.

Reporting from Washington and Los Angeles— The White House faced mounting political complications as a second top fundraiser for President Obama was linked to a federal loan guarantee program that backed a now-bankrupt Silicon Valley solar energy company, and as two California lawmakers called for investigations of a state tax break granted to the firm.

Steve Spinner, who helped monitor the Energy Department's issuance of $25 billion in government loan guarantees to renewable energy projects, was one of Obama's top fundraisers in 2008 and is raising money for the president's 2012 reelection campaign.

Spinner did not have any role in the selection of applicants for the loan program and, in fact, was recused from the decision to grant a $535-million loan guarantee to Solyndra Inc. because his wife's law firm represented the company, administration officials said Friday.

But Spinner's role as a top official in the Energy Department program, which had not been previously revealed, is likely to spur new inquiries into whether political influence played a role in the handling of the "green" energy fund. Solyndra faces a congressional probe, a criminal investigation and separate internal inquiries at the Energy and Treasury departments.

"This will fuel more questions, and now you've got real people involved at the inspector-general level who will be turning over chairs and cabinets, asking questions," said Stanley Brand, a criminal defense and ethics lawyer in Washington who has served as general counsel to the U.S. House of Representatives.

Article