• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2017 Baseball.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
R.I.P. to Roy Halladay. Very sad news indeed....tragically taken from us way too young. :crying:

Mayhem

Banned
He was flying an Icon A5. I'm no pilot but I enjoy the Youtube vids of aircraft. I've seen a lot of Icon vids and this is supposed to be a great plane. But an article I read said he particularly enjoyed flying close to the water. There is some question about Halladay flying like that at his level of experience.

Jagger69

No disrespect at all meant to Halladay's family but he was an idiot to fly this (or any) plane in that manner. An inexperienced pilot doing dangerous maneuvers in an LSA that is being marketed as a "flying jet ski" is a very predictable recipe for disaster. The Icon is a very cool concept but their marketing is grossly misguided in my view. Flying isn't anything at all like riding a jet ski. Apparently Halladay isn't the first one to crash in this manner so perhaps the company will rethink its marketing approach. If not, perhaps the FAA will intercede.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5062213/Roy-Halladay-fly-Icon-A5-crash.html

The plane that Halladay was flying looks like a go cart with wings.I would never get in one.It looks like a strong wind could blow that all over the place.

Jagger69

It's actually a really stout little aircraft....with the emphasis being on "little". Planes in the LSA class aren't meant for aerobatic maneuvers and don't carry the same FAA requirements for pilot certification so Halladay's inexperience in addition to the limitations of the aircraft (LSAs are notoriously and deliberately underpowered....they don't fly very fast) unfortunately ended in his death. The fact that the plane recovers quickly from a stall doesn't mean you can just skim just over the surface of the water with it and get away with flirting with stall speeds and angles of attack. Also, the AOA "meter" with which the plane is equipped is a cool idea....for a pilot who knows exactly what he is doing. It gives a false sense of security to a novice like Halladay was in my opinion. Anyway, a sad story but perhaps his death will prevent others from meeting a similar fate in this inappropriately-marketed and utilized aircraft.

Jagger69

I guess the Stanton version of "The Decision" will be forthcoming shortly. I really hope the Cardinals don't end up with him. The price is too high and these deals almost invariably blow up in the buyer's face.

I guess the Stanton version of "The Decision" will be forthcoming shortly. I really hope the Cardinals don't end up with him. The price is too high and these deals almost invariably blow up in the buyer's face.

Shouldn’t give them anything taking over that contract is already too much.

The baseball winter meetings are this week.This is usually the week that big trades and free agent signings are made.It’s also the week that makes GMs look like geniuses or eventually gets them fired.
I don’t know why any team would go after Giancarlo Stanton when next year you could potentially have a hall of famer in Mike Trout available in free agency.
Think about this crazy fact.Mike Trout is only 8 months older than AL rookie of the year Aaron Judge.Look at what Trout has already accomplished.The only thing he really needs is a World Series.

Jagger69

The baseball winter meetings are this week.This is usually the week that big trades and free agent signings are made.It’s also the week that makes GMs look like geniuses or eventually gets them fired.
I don’t know why any team would go after Giancarlo Stanton when next year you could potentially have a hall of famer in Mike Trout available in free agency.
Think about this crazy fact.Mike Trout is only 8 months older than AL rookie of the year Aaron Judge.Look at what Trout has already accomplished.The only thing he really needs is a World Series.

I agree, Stanton is overpriced in the market. Honestly, I'd rather see my Redbirds take Yelich or Ozuna off the Marlins' hands if they want to have a fire sale. Both are outfielders who can hit with power (in Ozuna's case, a lot of power), drive in runs and either would come at a significant discount compared to what I am hearing about their current offer for Stanton. There are rumors that some combination of Randall Grichuk, Aledmys Diaz, Carson Kelly, Mags Sierra, Harrison Bader, Michael Wacha, Sandy Alcantara, Luke Weaver, Jack Flaherty & Alex Reyes have been discussed as part of a multi-player deal that would send Stanton to St. Louis. Rumors also have it that Stanton does not want to come to St. Louis and supposedly would veto a trade to any team other than the Dodgers, Cubs, Astros or Yankees. I say fuck him....let 'em have him. We'll have multiple options if he doesn't accept a trade to us.

Also agree about Trout....he's a much better all-around player than Stanton is and is two years younger. Trout and Bryce Harper are the two players that stand head-and-shoulders over everyone else when it comes to overall talent right now in my opinion. Trout is tracking toward a serious hall-of-fame career and is probably the best all-purpose outfielder we've seen in the AL since Mickey Mantle. Stanton will likely continue to mash at star levels for a few more years but is another Albert Pujols in waiting as a long-term investment as far as I am concerned.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Giancarlo Stanton is getting Alex Rodriguez money [from Baseball-Reference.com]

Stanton_salary.JPG

- If the Dodgers want him? They'll just print more green. :) - My slight dig at Dodger fans. Ha-ha.

I agree, Stanton is overpriced in the market. Honestly, I'd rather see my Redbirds take Yelich or Ozuna off the Marlins' hands if they want to have a fire sale. Both are outfielders who can hit with power (in Ozuna's case, a lot of power), drive in runs and either would come at a significant discount compared to what I am hearing about their current offer for Stanton. There are rumors that some combination of Randall Grichuk, Aledmys Diaz, Carson Kelly, Mags Sierra, Harrison Bader, Michael Wacha, Sandy Alcantara, Luke Weaver, Jack Flaherty & Alex Reyes have been discussed as part of a multi-player deal that would send Stanton to St. Louis. Rumors also have it that Stanton does not want to come to St. Louis and supposedly would veto a trade to any team other than the Dodgers, Cubs, Astros or Yankees. I say fuck him....let 'em have him. We'll have multiple options if he doesn't accept a trade to us.

He said no to the Giants as well. Notice how he picks the two teams with the biggest pockets. And the two teams that won the last two World Series.

Though, this decade, which two teams have been to the NLCS and World Series the most times? And won? The Giants and Cardinals!

Fuck him too.

Jagger69

It's fine. He will flourish in the Bronx, hit a shitload of HRs, be on SportsCenter every 5 minutes and will make a ton of loot with endorsements in the Big Apple. He's in the AL so he's a non-factor when it comes to regular league play in the NL so it's a good thing actually. Yes....fuck him very much.

Besides, I'm speculating that the Redbirds will go hard for Ozuna now. Also expect us to be in play for Colome', Longoria and Machado.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The Yankees are seriously looking at Manny Machado in a trade. Machado becomes a free agent after the 2018 season. They traded Chase Headley and Bryan Mitchell in a salary dump. There was thought that they would then try to re-sign Todd Frazier but Manny Machado is much better than Todd Frazier. Hey Todd, your love affair with the New York Yankees is over. [He was a little leaguer in New Jersey and had pictures taken with Derek Jeter when he was 11.]

Jagger69

Cute story about Frazier but Todd couldn't hold Machado's jock. Cardinals (or anyone) would be dumb to give up a lot for Machado in a trade and not have a contract extension be a part of the deal. I'm hoping 2 years in St. Louis will convince Ozuna to stay (they'll have to pony up but he'll have to perform as well) but Machado is a one-and-done rental and would be tougher to re-sign in my opinion. I am fine with the Colome', Archer & Longoria connection to solve a lot of our lingering problems with a left-side infielder, closer and starting rotation guy if Machado isn't part of the mix. Frankly, I don't see Machado coming to St. Louis unless it's on the cheap and that's not Peter Angelos' style so not optimistic. I don't think we are done by any stretch and the Tampa deal or maybe a Josh Donaldson pickup might be in the offing.

Cute story about Frazier but Todd couldn't hold Machado's jock. Cardinals (or anyone) would be dumb to give up a lot for Machado in a trade and not have a contract extension be a part of the deal. I'm hoping 2 years in St. Louis will convince Ozuna to stay (they'll have to pony up but he'll have to perform as well) but Machado is a one-and-done rental and would be tougher to re-sign in my opinion. I am fine with the Colome', Archer & Longoria connection to solve a lot of our lingering problems with a left-side infielder, closer and starting rotation guy if Machado isn't part of the mix. Frankly, I don't see Machado coming to St. Louis unless it's on the cheap and that's not Peter Angelos' style so not optimistic. I don't think we are done by any stretch and the Tampa deal or maybe a Josh Donaldson pickup might be in the offing.

Up here, it's being reported that the Cards won't take no in regards to a Josh Donaldson trade. They're really pushing hard. Donaldson could be a 1 & done, this will be his 1 & only chance at free agency.

Jagger69

I'd be good with Donaldson as long as the price wasn't too high. Honestly, I prefer the possible deal with Tampa Bay if Mo can pull it off.

I'd be good with Donaldson as long as the price wasn't too high. Honestly, I prefer the possible deal with Tampa Bay if Mo can pull it off.

The price would be steep for JD-the Jays don't really want to part with him-at this point. If they're out of it at the deadline, then they'll deal him. I think the Rays would trade Longoria if the price is right.

The price would be steep for JD-the Jays don't really want to part with him-at this point. If they're out of it at the deadline, then they'll deal him. I think the Rays would trade Longoria if the price is right.
Wouldn’t give up nothing for Longoria at this point. He can’t seem to stay healthy.

Jagger69

Wouldn’t give up nothing for Longoria at this point. He can’t seem to stay healthy.

I don't think we'd have to give up anything extra for Longoria. I think he would be a salary-dump addition to a package to obtain either Colome' or Archer (or both). We'd never make a deal just to get Longoria in my opinion.