• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2017 Baseball.

Another mysterious Kershaw meltdown. Breezes through 3 innings, then...

overuse of Maeda in an unfamiliar role.

PS: I have NO idea why Roberts used Jansen last night in the ninth inning with a 6 to 1 lead.
Could see that coming back to haunt him tonight.

And it did.
What a dumbass [shaking my head]

WOW!!! That was a wild one. The last World Series game that wild that I can remember was the 15-14 game in the 1993 Series-Jays/Phillies.

What the fuck is Roberts doing with his pitching staff? Starters getting yanked after 60 pitches???? Wood getting pulled in the 6th after giving up 1 hit??? No wonder his bullpen is in shreds.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Another mysterious Kershaw meltdown. Breezes through 3 innings, then...[]

overuse of Maeda in an unfamiliar role.

Nothing wrong with Dave Roberts using Kenta Maeda in that role. Kenta Maeda is used to it. He's been pitching stints of long relief since the regular season ended -- at least four times out in that role during the month of September in the regular season.

As for Clayton Kershaw. During the regular season he's amazing. Every year he is a Cy Young Award candidate. But in the post season, you've seen it before. Not including this World Series, twenty one overall starts, a dismal 6-7 record. Under Torre, 0-1, Under Mattingly, 2-5, Under Roberts 4-1. He's not the same pitcher. Two huge losses against the Cardinals under Mattingly.

He's certainly not Madison Bumgarner. Madison Bumgarner is the guy you want on your team. Bumgarner has ice in his veins. He doesn't fold and throw in the cards pressure. The MVP of the 2014 World Series.

There's always baseball historians mentioning of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson, Denny McClain, Jim Hunter, and Whitey Ford. Madison Bumgarner has taken on the role of Whitey Ford in the post season. He has the same mentality, Madison Bumgarner does not collapse under the pressure.

Lastly, comparing sports -

Clayton Kershaw = Peyton Manning
Madison Bumgarner = Tom Brady

I think the Dodgers are done. It ends tonight. But I've been wrong before. I think Justin Verlander pitches an awesome great game. And Rich Hill well not so good. Bullpen by committee for Dave Roberts tonight.

What the fuck is Roberts doing with his pitching staff? Starters getting yanked after 60 pitches???? Wood getting pulled in the 6th after giving up 1 hit??? No wonder his bullpen is in shreds.

No wonder indeed. Somehow they've managed to succeed with that approach all season long until this series. Not anymore.
I mean wtf, you sign Rich Hill to a three year 48 million dollar contract and only let him throw 60 pitches in the World Series?
Maybe lurking in the background somewhere has been the fear his blister issues will suddenly emerge again, but fuckin A at most he's only slated to make one more start, so ??

Nothing wrong with Dave Roberts using Kenta Maeda in that role.

Disagree. Yes he'd done well in that role a handful of times, but his experience is as a starting pitcher pitching in Japan, where he routinely got 6 days off between starts. Plus he'd been hard used just two nights earlier when Darvish had nothing as their starter.

As for Clayton Kershaw, the numbers certainly agree with you that Bumgarner (asshole that he is) has clearly been the better post season pitcher.

But my biggest gripe remains the use of Jansen with a 6 to 1 lead in game 4. Just a critical error.

I think the Dodgers are done. It ends tonight.

I agree.

During the regular season, batters hit .158 off Hill the third time through the order. Roberts really fucked that 1 up. The domino effect has been horrendous.

Verlander's been a horse since arriving in Houston. Who knows, maybe he gets his ass handed to him tonight. This series has been so whacky, it deserves a game 7.

During the regular season, batters hit .158 off Hill the third time through the order. Roberts really fucked that 1 up. The domino effect has been horrendous.

And so what does he do tonight with a ground up bullpen? This time he only lets Hill throw 58 pitches!

:thefinger

^^^^^
And yet somehow it worked out. The Dodgers horribly beleaguered bullpen reached down deep and pulled it out. Maeda had good command. Jansen was virtually flawless.

What a crazy great series. Hoping game 7 will be another nail biter. Really kind of a shame either of these teams has to lose.

^^^^^
And yet somehow it worked out. The Dodgers horribly beleaguered bullpen reached down deep and pulled it out. Maeda had good command. Jansen was virtually flawless.

What a crazy great series. Hoping game 7 will be another nail biter. Really kind of a shame either of these teams has to lose.

Yeah it did work out. Morrow's arm must be hanging.

I just hope for a good game tonight-no Buckner moments.

I agree Bodie-it's a shame 1 team will lose.

At 5-0 in the 2nd, Darvish gets a Buckner moment. I'll also give a couple to Roberts. He left Darvish in waaaay too long. It was obvious he didn't have it. The 2nd Buckner moment is for not playing the infield all the way in with a slow runner at 3rd & the pitcher up.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Bonehead move by Dave Roberts: Brandon Morrow -- then Clayton Kershaw. Morrow goes for only a 1/3 of an inning. Stupid. (Like Dusty Baker putting in Max Scherzer in the NLDS) - I'd have left Morrow go an additional inning. But he pinch hit for him. I would have brought someone else in. Then bring Clayton Kershaw in an inning later. Too early for CK now.

Congratulations to the Houston Astros!!! Beating the three top teams with the highest payroll, LOL, Red Sox, Yankees, and the Dodgers.

History, Earned.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Congrats to the 'Stros. And to Sports Illustrated.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Think Yu cost himself a pretty penny.

Dave Roberts overmanaging again by using SABR analytics along with his overuse of comparisons and matchups. I would have gone with Alex Wood as the starter for game seven. The Astros have seen Yu Darvish way too much. They play the Rangers at least eighteen to nineteen times a season. Also Yu Darvish is not the same pitcher since his Tommy John surgery in 2015.

I still think that Jack Morris had the greatest performance from any athlete in a game 7.10 innings of shutout pitching.I still can't believe he never was voted into the hall of fame.He won a World Series with 3 different teams and won more games in the 80's than any other pitcher.
I guess he never thought being a prick to reporters would come back to haunt him.

Dave Roberts overmanaging again by using SABR analytics along with his overuse of comparisons and matchups. I would have gone with Alex Wood as the starter for game seven. The Astros have seen Yu Darvish way too much. They play the Rangers at least eighteen to nineteen times a season. Also Yu Darvish is not the same pitcher since his Tommy John surgery in 2015.
Alex wood would have been my choice

Former Blue Jay & Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay killed today when the plane he was piloting went down in the Gulf Of Mexico

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/former-blue-jays-pitcher-roy-halladay-dead-plane-crash/

Doc was one of the good ones. Great pitcher, better human. Absolutely idolized in Toronto. Now a days, starters throw 5 innings & think they've done a great job. Not Doc-he was a throw back. He went up against Buehrle once & the game was done in less than 2 hours.

R.I.P. Doc-you'll be missed. :crying: