• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2013 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Alas, as we approach the end of 2012, it's time for us to turn the page. Hot-stove comments for the next couple of months and then....voila!....spring training is here and it's baseball time once again!!!

Jagger69

As if anyone cares, the Houston Astros signed veteran Carlos Pena to be their designated hitter for their inaugural season in the AL West. According to a post on an Astros blog,

Pena, 34, hit just .197 with 19 home runs and 61 RBI last season for Tampa Bay. He has struggled mightily during the past four seasons, failing to hit above .227 and striking out at least 158 times each year.

Based on those performance records, he should fit in perfectly with his teammates. :facepalm: :brick: :hairpull: :anonymous :drunk:

So assuming AA is finished swinging deals around, the Jays lineup looks pretty dangerous.

Johnson
Dickey
Morrow
Buehrle
Romero

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lawrie
Rasmus
Arencibia
Lind
Bonifacio

I'm assuming Thole was involved in the trade to be Dickey's personal catcher? Are Knuckleballs that much more difficult to catch?

oh yeah knuckleballers are real difficult to catch. really good catchers used to refuse to catch them.

i do not think the Blue Jays are done dealing they still have a surplus of catchers and i think they need to upgrade the pen a little more. But they have gotten the attention of all of baseball that isn't LA.

Cleveland has made some very aggressive moves as well

Pena gets playing time because he hits hr's he is a modern Dave Kingman

red001

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
Good grief, the Jays could be a very good team.
Of course, as the old saying goes, you can put together a team with a bunch of good players, but you cannot create a great TEAM in the same way. Look at many of the Star-filled Yankees teams, or the Dodgers last year.

My Reds are going to be interesting this year. There is a lot expected of them, but I still think next year will be another learning year for them. It will be Chapman's first year as a starter. Either Choo or Bruce will be in center - but I think a youngster named Billy Hamilton is quickly being groomed for that spot. A lot of the team is under contract for a few years, especially the core - Votto, Bruce, Chapman, Cueto, Phillips, Cozart, Frasier, Hannigan, Mesoroco, Bailey, Latos, Broxton...all will be with the team past 2013.

the reds plan to have choo in center and lead-off allowing Billy Hamilton one more year of development since that's all choo's contract runs and his agent is Scott the money is always better elsewhere Boras

red001

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
Ryan Freel sure was not the greatest player to don a Reds' uniform, but he was one of the more exciting players, as well as one of the more versatile. Able to play all outfield and infield positions, Freel was many times seen on the highlight real, risking life and limb to make a catch. Many compared him to Pete Rose, really an unfair comparison since Freel honestly did not have the talent nor the intellect of a Charlie Hustle.
Apparently, Freel committed suicide last night of a self inflicted gunshot. Sad day for Redsland.

Ryan Freel sure was not the greatest player to don a Reds' uniform, but he was one of the more exciting players, as well as one of the more versatile. Able to play all outfield and infield positions, Freel was many times seen on the highlight real, risking life and limb to make a catch. Many compared him to Pete Rose, really an unfair comparison since Freel honestly did not have the talent nor the intellect of a Charlie Hustle.
Apparently, Freel committed suicide last night of a self inflicted gunshot. Sad day for Redsland.

Very sad news. He also played for the Jays as well.

Blue Jays on paper look really solid. Although I'd be okay if AA went out to get a legit closer, Brian Wilson anyone? Janssen and Santos are both alright but the former I think is better in relief and the latter may never get healthy enough to prove his value.

I'm very excited at the prospect of the Blue Jays succeeding in 2013. Playoffs should be a legitimate possibility, hopefully at the top of the division.

Really just proud of AA and company going out to show that they want to win badly. Yes, the Jays gave up some quality prospects but that's all they are right now, prospects who may or may not have done well as Jays anyways.

I still think they can't do any harm going after another closer. Have to wait and see I guess.

Yeah, I think the Jays office saw that the AL East is as open right now as it ever will be, and decided that this is the time to go for it. Any of the teams in that division has a legitimate shot at winning it, it should be really interesting to watch.

And if you want a closer, I think we've got a spare Carlos Marmol lying around somewhere....

C.K. Lawrence

Closed Account
So assuming AA is finished swinging deals around, the Jays lineup looks pretty dangerous.

Johnson
Dickey
Morrow
Buehrle
Romero

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lawrie
Rasmus
Arencibia
Lind
Bonifacio

I'm assuming Thole was involved in the trade to be Dickey's personal catcher? Are Knuckleballs that much more difficult to catch?

That's a sweet looking team but more to the point if I may toot my horn, yes, knucklers are very hard to catch as my cousin would attest. I beaned him in the melon once and he was watching it all the way through... it was slow too. :D

oh yeah knuckleballs are hard to catch. Dickey though throws his knuckler very differently than say charlie hough or tim wakefield did.
i do not think Toronto is done yet

red001

Jagger69

More bad news for the Redbirds.....Furcal out indefinitely (so what else is new?), I don't think we can count on Pete Kozma to resume his "lightning in a bottle" routine he seemed to possess in last year's postseason. So.....Ronny Cedeno is going to be our everyday SS??? Aye chi mama, what a disaster. Oscar Taveras better be all that and make this club cuz it looks like the 2B-SS combo is going to show a lot of 0-fers in the box scores this season.

didn't Furcal miss a lot of last season as well? hey the Giants 2nd base and SS are not that great either but they won the world series last year.
honestly the Giants should move Posey to 2nd or SS hey would so change that team at one of those two postions

Jagger69

Hell yeah. Furcal ALWAYS misses a ton of time due to injury. It's a huge problem for us right now because we don't have anyone in the system who appears to be a possible answer. That means we either need to acquire an FA, make a trade or hope Kozma can continue playing above his head cuz we sure need him (or somebody). As for the Giants, if 2B is such a weakness for them why did they give Scutaro that big contract? They won the World Series last year. We should all have such weaknesses. LOL....

More bad news for the Redbirds.....Furcal out indefinitely (so what else is new?), I don't think we can count on Pete Kozma to resume his "lightning in a bottle" routine he seemed to possess in last year's postseason. So.....Ronny Cedeno is going to be our everyday SS??? Aye chi mama, what a disaster. Oscar Taveras better be all that and make this club cuz it looks like the 2B-SS combo is going to show a lot of 0-fers in the box scores this season.

What's going on with Matt Carpenter ? He was doing pretty good until he got hurt and missed the rest of the season last year, no ? Thought he might be 2b this year.

Jagger69

What's going on with Matt Carpenter ? He was doing pretty good until he got hurt and missed the rest of the season last year, no ? Thought he might be 2b this year.

No you're mixing him up with Chris Carpenter, the pitcher. Matt Carpenter was a terrific lefthanded bat and a platoon player against righthanded pitching last season. Great question otherwise. I just don't think he is ready (and may never be) to make the transition to become a second baseman and certainly doesn't have the skills to be a SS. He's much more suited for corner OF or 1B at this point. I would sure love to get his bat in the lineup as an everyday player but so far there isn't an open position for him. Things will only get more crowded when Taveras makes it into the lineup, possibly even this season. Next year, Kolten Wong is on track to take over at 2B. With Furcal out, we just don't have a solid option at SS and Descalso should start the year at 2B.

Status
Not open for further replies.