• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

1 Dead and 19 Injured at 'Unite the Right' Rally

ApolloBalboa

Was King of the Board for a Day
I've thought that as well - why aren't there more suicide bombers if that's the case? But then, why are there as many as there are? Why do so many literally put everything on the line to kill and die as a martyr? I think of the San Bernardino shooters who had that beautiful baby girl to raise. They willingly gave that all up to kill people and be martyrs. Why do so many imams preach this even out in the open? Are they going outside of Islam with this teaching and belief?

Surely Allah has bought of the believers their persons and their property for this, that they shall have the garden; they fight in Allah's way, so they slay and are slain; a promise which is binding on Him in the Taurat [Torah] and the Injeel [Gospels] and the Quran; and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? Rejoice therefore in the pledge which you have made; and that is the mighty achievement. - Surrah 9:111

But as you said, most are content to live their lives and hope for the best.

Because one would be an explicit call to commit murder? The one committing murder to get to heaven calls on his brothers and sisters to do the same? The sincere convert on death row is sorry for what he's done and calls for others to repent?

I don't know what your definition of many is; to your credit, it does seem like 2016 is widely recognized as a year when suicide attacks were at an acme (and may be overtaken over the course of this year, who knows?) but again, that doesn't seem to be representative of the collective. As to the motivations for doing this (whether it's the couple from San Bernardino or a young man in Kabul), I can only speculate, but for the sake of my argument and trying to separate the extremists from the moderates I'll continue to point to the overwhelming number of people who don't commit these acts. Are these acts outside the teaching of Islam? As it is with those who read and follow the Bible or Torah, you've got some who see things in black and white and as law, and those who read, question, and refrain from some of the lessons.

The fact that you acknowledge that most Muslims don't fall into this kind of behavior is encouraging though.

As for the murderer question: yes, one is a "supposedly" explicit call (and I say supposedly because we've already discussed how it has two definitions, both of which people seem to observe and one that has nonviolent leanings), and can inspire like-minded actions. However, what assurance do you have that the person on death row is actually sorry for what they've done, outside of their word? I don't deny that there are surely some people who are in fact repentant and regret their actions, but I'm sure there are some people who figure they can work the system (so to speak) and go to Heaven just for saying they're sorry. Obviously you can't line up and then segregate those who mean it and those who don't. However, one kills with the intent to get into Heaven, a completely autonomous move (he may be encouraged to do so, but ultimately he's the one who decides if he's going to do it. Whether or not he actually gets into Heaven is another story); the other doesn't kill with the intent of getting into Heaven, but may be able to by asking forgiveness. If the motive is only to kill (with no assumed reward of going to paradise for doing so), why does that person receive that privilege?

I know that that last sentence delves into more theological questions than I intend on pursuing, but it seems odd that any religion who observes the Ten Commandments would allow one who's taken the life of another to achieve nirvana (whether it was with resolve or not). I don't believe in such a thing myself, but I don't understand how you're able to reconcile that with your beliefs.