• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Windows 7

Kil4Thril

Closed Account
I have it as a dual boot on my main machine. It's basically a supercharged Vista so far. I haven't dug under the hood too much to try it. I've only put in a few hours of light stuff, but boot time and overall quickness is the best of anything I've used (and that includes pretty much everything at one point or another).

"Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal -- we’re in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We’re sorry for the delay and we’ll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience."

Interesting. If I hold out a little longer I may be able to skip Vista.

I'm sticking with XP :hatsoff:

I actually think Windows 7 is starting to incorporate more features that Windows has long needed. I'm running it both on a desktop as a stand-alone OS, and on my laptop through VMWare Fusion, and I like it, I really do.

windows 7? what is that? like a newer version than vista?

It doesn't matter how good Windows becomes, it'll never replace Debian in our home. In the last 3,5 years we've only rebooted 6 times because of kernel updates. I have yet to see any version of Windows beat that.

It doesn't matter how good Windows becomes, it'll never replace Debian in our home. In the last 3,5 years we've only rebooted 6 times because of kernel updates. I have yet to see any version of Windows beat that.

Wow I haven't heard of anyone using Debian for quite some time! I used to like Debian quite a lot, and I'm sure I've got it somewhere on one of my computers (I've dual-booted damn near every machine I've had for the past 3 or so years)

If that's what you care about, rebooting.

I'm an ubuntu user, but I'll use the best os. Even if that's windows.

Not saying I will use 7, just thinking about it.

Kil4Thril

Closed Account
If that's what you care about, rebooting.

I'm an ubuntu user, but I'll use the best os. Even if that's windows.

Not saying I will use 7, just thinking about it.

As an Ubuntu and Mint user, I prefer Vista and now 7 over the Linux choices. BUT, I do play games on my machines. Both my NAS boxes run off Linux (one proprietary, one is FreeNAS), and I'm building an uITX setup for websurfing in the living room that will likely get a *Buntu distribution of some kind.

Namreg

Banned
7 should be alright because it is what vista was originally supposed to have been. they cut out a lot of stuff from he vista release to get it out th edoor on time, and the result was a mess; vista does nothing better than XP really and uses more resources, so why bother? 7 looks like it will actually deliver the stuff that was promised years ago, so i might go for it at some point, but right now i'm sticking with XP on my main and linux on my laptop.

To be honest I haven't been this excited about an operating system in years. It finally seems that, with 7, Microsoft has finally listened to what users want and have taken the best aspects of their previous OSs and created a good Operating System. Even the name is simple and unpretentious.

Was recently thinking of buying a new laptop but with 7 on the way, I'm more than happy to wait.

I use XP SP2 on my laptop which is where I do most of my personal stuff and it works fine. I'm not touching SP3, Vista or W7 until there is a reason to.

I have a Linux box for much of my other computer/business needs.

I use XP SP2 on my laptop which is where I do most of my personal stuff and it works fine. I'm not touching SP3, Vista or W7 until there is a reason to.

If you ask me, Windows 7 right now is reason enough. It's that much of an upgrade, and you'll notice from the get-go.

Kil4Thril

Closed Account
If you ask me, Windows 7 right now is reason enough. It's that much of an upgrade, and you'll notice from the get-go.

Ditto here. 7 is just THAT DAMNED GOOD. RC2 is due at any moment, and there are some interesting things still being added- last I saw was built-in codec support.

Windows 7 ~ Vista, as XP ~ 2000 ...

Windows 7 is actually still NT 6.x, based on the same code as Windows Server 2008 and, before that, Vista. It is the direct successor to Vista, with various compatibility improvements, although expensing security issues for compatibility.

This is not unlike Windows XP, which was NT 5.1, based on the same code as NT 5.0, Windows 2000. It was the direct successor to 2000, with various compatibility improvements, definitely expensing various security for compatibility as well -- although some were closed in SP1 and more in SP2.

One area where Windows 7 does something different is that it now ships a virtualization approach for NT 6.x so NT 5.x applications can run. Long story short, Microsoft "lost control" of their software codebase years ago, largely in the mass exodus of key architects, developers and engineers to Google and others late '90s through early '00s. So they will run a virtualized instance of NT 5.x for compatibility.

If you ever want to see the mess of conflicting issues between Windows programmer and binary interface calls, including Microsoft breaking its own standards and compatibility left and right between DOS 7 / Windows 4 (Windows 95/98/Me), Windows NT 4, 5 (2000/XP/2003) and, now, 6 (Vista/2008/7) -- the source code of the WINdows Emulator aka Windows Is Not Emulated (WINE), that allows non-Windows OSes running on PC platforms to emulate it -- is a great set of documentation of this. It is extremely flexible and very in-depth and involved because it lets you switch between emulating different Windows version -- or as they say, "bug for bug" differences in Windows versions. Of course, it's not good at running the latest stuff, because it takes years to catelogue all the changes, especially where things are conflicting or broken.

This is not unlike the Samba project, which emulates the countless variations in Windows Server Message Block (SMB) implementations, including some of the -- sometimes conflicting -- Common Internet File System (CIFS) procedure calls and what not. It's not uncommon for different Windows flavors, from applications to networking, to behave completely different, because there are differences in the standards it uses, let alone some bugs that are carried forward. Samba has found many false security and other holes in the CIFS/SMB protocols over the years, and I follow the project for this reason (to know where major security holes are in the protocols).

These attitudes and approaches, to not give a shit about compatibility long-term (let alone fail to document them), is the root cause why MS Office is not very compatible with itself over a couple versions. If anything, that's the main reason why I see OpenOffice.org adoption -- not cost, but long-term compatibility. Same deal on MS IE. I know a lot of corporations that are having trouble re-investing in the development of their MS IE 6-only sites, especially as they have issues with IE 7 and 8, let alone Internet standards and standards-based browsers.

After all, money is in the upgrades, not backward compatibility. So why bother if you're Microsoft or a Microsoft partner? It's very profitable to be a Microsoft partner for this reason. But at least I'll give Microsoft some credit for the NT 5.x virtualization layer idea, even if it's not implemented as well as it could be. It'll allow some support, although it will be exploited, much like the Office 11 (2003) compatibility layer in Office 12 (2007) has an issue with.

Windows Servers (and possibly Workstations) on Linux-hosted Virtualization ...

I haven't seen a raw Windows Server on bare metal in almost 5 years. Virtually every enterprise I know runs Windows Server 2003 and, now, 2008 atop of a Linux host -- most commonly the VMware ESX Server 3.x, which is Red Hat's Enterprise Linux release 3 (very old now) with VMware's hypervisor. I've been playing with the new 4.0 releases and am impressed as well as disappointed.

Microsoft Hyper-V will be great for home consumer desktops, especially in Windows 7 for running NT 5.x on NT 6.x, but I don't think it will replace VMware's hypervisor, or other solutions -- not even for corporate workstations that are virtualized. Xen Source hasn't really taken off at all outside of some limited Linux usage. The Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) that is now in the Linux kernel natively is what most anything Linux is adopting, because it's hard to best the server hardware compatibility in Linux these days by running another hypervisor (KVM can leverage any driver in Linux). Last time I checked, Red Hat owns that copyright and has since signed an agreement with Microsoft to certify Windows on it.

The question is if VMware will continue to be the preferred Linux-based host for Windows. I don't see Windows ever becoming self-hosting in the enterprise though. And that seems to suit Microsoft fine, as home consumers are where it likes to entrench itself. In fact, last time I checked, Microsoft is having major issues with Hyper-V for some of its own, on-line presence, and rumor is that they've switching some back to Linux-hosted virtualization. I know most of their partners they outsource to are clearly staying there.