• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Whats your favorite kind of rock/mineral to find?

I went gold panning today and found a nugget that weighs 9 pennyweights(13.99 grams)
which is the biggest piece I have ever found. What I can't decide is, should I sell it and make bank or keep it as Trophey/Sentimental charm?

Are you back in the 1870s or something?

To answer your question, it's a whiskey on the rocks with a lemon peel :D

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
I like the heavier stuff myself. Music like Metallica, Iron Maiden, stuff like that. Lighter rock is just too upbeat for me.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
That's about 1/2 oz. of gold (if it's pure) and that'll bring you about $600 USD. As a rockhound myself, I'd be tempted to keep it. With the economic situation being what it is, I don't think you'll risk losing value on it anytime soon. You can always sell it if the market starts to drop (or not).

Other than the obvious answer (gold, silver or other precious metals), my favorite type of rock to find is quartz, particularly Rose Quartz if I can find a nice specimen.

Congratulations on your find. Where were you panning for this if I might ask?

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
Have we really ran out of thread idea's? Has it really come down to what rocks and minerals you like? Personally I tend to like geodes.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
What is more irrelevant? A thread about rocks and minerals or someone who has no interest in the subject taking time to comment on it?

This part of the forum is for discussing anything anyone wants to discuss. If you don't find the subject matter of a particular thread to be of interest to you, shrug your shoulders and move on. Just because it doesn't interest you is no indication that it doesn't interest others.

I like to pan for wild mushrooms or peyote, the kind that Shaman's use for spiritual enlightenment. :banger:

Spleen

Banned?
I went gold panning today and found a nugget that weighs 9 pennyweights(13.99 grams)
which is the biggest piece I have ever found. What I can't decide is, should I sell it and make bank or keep it as Trophey/Sentimental charm?

63762116d5bc9471fb5e1381d81fbc9a0c8f138.jpg

What is more irrelevant? A thread about rocks and minerals or someone who has no interest in the subject taking time to comment on it?

This part of the forum is for discussing anything anyone wants to discuss. If you don't find the subject matter of a particular thread to be of interest to you, shrug your shoulders and move on. Just because it doesn't interest you is no indication that it doesn't interest others.

Well said. To the OP......I can't say that I've ever really gone looking for rocks/minerals......but that is pretty bad ass there are still prospectors around.......where are you? And I'm not looking to bust in on your claim!

I was just up in the mountains for a little while, and went around to the old mine sites.......some really cool stuff to see that has just been abandoned and left there.....entire mining operations that are still standing, many with all of the original equipment still there.....for a history buff, it's pretty cool. I'd love to be able to explore in some tunnels a little bit, but the state has sealed off all the entrances.....probably good.

Still, every so often, you hear of some kids here who while trapsing around stumble across an unsealed shaft......usually doesn't end well......