• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What Language Do You Dream In?

This question is more (actually pretty much solely) for the bi/multi-lingual members of the board.

If you speak more than one language, what language do you predominantly dream in? Do you ever dream in languages other than your primary language? Do you ever have dreams that are played out in multiple languages?

There was a time when I was able to speak Spanish "conversationally," and began to have dreams that were partially conducted with the people in the dreams, including myself, speaking Spanish. It was kind of mind blowing as I had never had that experience before. Just wondering what the experiences of multi-lingual people are like in regards to dreams.

Also, as a side question, if you are fluent in more than one language, do you "think" with your second language? Meaning do you think and speak your second language without translating words/thoughts from your primary language? For example, for me to speak a sentence in Spanish, I first have to think the statement in my head in English, and then have to translate the thought to Spanish before it can be spoken. Is this a common occurrence for others when speaking in a language that is not your primary language?

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I met my ex-fiancee during a La Tavola Italiana/"Italian table" for her Italian language class. It was a thing done during college to encourage students taking Italian to sit down in a restaurant, over a bottle of wine and some food, and use the language casually in "normal" conversations. I was already out of school but I saw her at the table and asked one of her mates if she was with anybody - she wasn't. :) So I proceeded to bogart my way into the little group and make my move on her.

She spoke Spanish (1st language), Italian (the class was to get an easy A), English, some French and Portuguese. I spoke English (1st language), Italian and some Spanish. At least when things were going well, I had dreams about her in languages other than English - usually Spanish. When things started going not so well, I also had some dreams about her (and her mother :mad:) in languages other than English. But those weren't very pleasant.

I hooked up with this girl from Panama after I broke up with the fiancee. She spoke English, but during sex she'd revert to Spanish. Man, I loved that! Other than her personal issues, I actually missed her for a long time. I had dreams about her (in Spanish) for years after we parted ways.

But the weirdest one was a dream that I had during a dispute my company had with Denso (a Japanese company). The guy I was dealing with was an American... not even an Asian-American. But for some odd reason, in my dream, I was arguing with him in Japanese. The weird part is, I don't speak or understand a single word of Japanese. :rolleyes:

Well, as someone who is studying to be a bilingual court interpreter, hence I'm perfectly fluent at a college level in the two languages, I can tell you that most people tend to think in their dominant language. Pompous snobbery aside, the other people in the program favor one language or the other, but not both. That's because, as the title implies, the dominant language is what the brain operates in. Even if you're fluent in another language, the basic grammar, syntax, and linguistics of any other language will always tend to be based around the dominant language. My dominant language fluctuates between English and Spanish. There are times when I base my thoughts around the linguistical structure of English, and others when it's based around Spanish. I don't really control it, my brain just does it.

As for your question, yes I have dreamed in other languages. It's usually in a language that I've dabbled in at some point or another. I've had dreams in French (quite often, actually, since it's my third language), in German (my dream German is much better than my waking German), in Japanese (though it hasn't happened since I stopped practicing it in high school), in Portuguese, and in Italian. One time, and I really have no idea why, I had a dream in Tagalog. Odd, since the only Tagalog I know is "hello" and "fuck!".

It seems I managed to ignore the secondary question. I don't usually need to translate anything from my first language to English in my head before I'm able to compose a sentence, unless it's something specialized or more complicated than in everyday speech. When I need to use some specialized terminology the translation might have to go both ways before I'm satisfied with the results.

I quite like English and generally actually use it more than my first language (whether I'm writing, reading or thinking).

I dream mostly in french but, sometimes I dream in english

RichardNailder

Approved Content Owner
English and German - don't typically mix them though.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems I managed to ignore the secondary question. I don't usually need to translate anything from my first language to English in my head before I'm able to compose a sentence, unless it's something specialized or more complicated than in everyday speech. When I need to use some specialized terminology the translation might have to go both ways before I'm satisfied with the results.

I quite like English and generally actually use it more than my first language (whether I'm writing, reading or thinking).

Same here, I'm horrible at translation - when I speak English I think in English, when I speak German I think in German.

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
There's not actually any speaking in my dreams.

Esperanto. Sometimes Latin. Occasionally sign language.

But in most of my dreams, I'm a pimp, and anyone that speaks, I bitchslap their ass back into silence.

GodsEmbryo

Closed Account
I usually dream in Dutch but I remember dreams in English or French as well. And some weird dreams where people talked gibberish but funny enough I could understand them although I couldn't speak it.

What the second question concerns... There was a time when I first thought of what to say in my own language before saying it in English (or French). But I noticed that actually made it more confusing for myself. Especially when I couldn't find the translation of some words and started to rephrase the sentence. Now I just think and talk in English. In a way you just skip the (confusing) translation part and use the English words you know. It's easier.

I usually dream in Dutch but I remember dreams in English or French as well. And some weird dreams where people talked gibberish but funny enough I could understand them although I couldn't speak it.

What the second question concerns... There was a time when I first thought of what to say in my own language before saying it in English (or French). But I noticed that actually made it more confusing for myself. Especially when I couldn't find the translation of some words and started to rephrase the sentence. Now I just think and talk in English. In a way you just skip the (confusing) translation part and use the English words you know. It's easier.

How can anyone think in Dutch? Isn't it that language that looks like somebody just slammed their hands down on the keyboard repeatedly? Hraalvhyd breefaaatrc aaalbaatkleilt taliitaa joolleib ndiii maahaa. Isn't that Dutch? :dunno:

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
How can anyone think in Dutch? Isn't it that language that looks like somebody just slammed their hands down on the keyboard repeatedly? Hraalvhyd breefaaatrc aaalbaatkleilt taliitaa joolleib ndiii maahaa. Isn't that Dutch? :dunno:

I think that's more cat hacking up a hairball. o-O

But to answer the questions, I sometimes dream in dutch. Especially after a night out with the family where more dutch than english is being spoken. There's a popular childrens book over here called Jip and Janneke. The illustrations of the children in the stories are black with white clothes. So funny enough, when I dream in dutch, whomever I'm dreaming about are "illustrated" like Jip and Janneke. http://www.jipenjanneke.nl

As for which language do I think in, usually it's english. I'm still at the stage in learning dutch that I have to hear it then translate it into english in my head. This leads to all sorts of fun situations like, the topic moving on before I can respond. Or I'm certain people think I'm retarded because it takes me so long to respond.

buter%20s%20sirom.gif

This question is more (actually pretty much solely) for the bi/multi-lingual members of the board.

If you speak more than one language, what language do you predominantly dream in? Do you ever dream in languages other than your primary language? Do you ever have dreams that are played out in multiple languages?

There was a time when I was able to speak Spanish "conversationally," and began to have dreams that were partially conducted with the people in the dreams, including myself, speaking Spanish. It was kind of mind blowing as I had never had that experience before. Just wondering what the experiences of multi-lingual people are like in regards to dreams.

Also, as a side question, if you are fluent in more than one language, do you "think" with your second language? Meaning do you think and speak your second language without translating words/thoughts from your primary language? For example, for me to speak a sentence in Spanish, I first have to think the statement in my head in English, and then have to translate the thought to Spanish before it can be spoken. Is this a common occurrence for others when speaking in a language that is not your primary language?

I wonder when one learns a second language has anything to do with some of this stuff. I have a feeling somebody that learns a second language later in life has a lot tougher time thinking in that second language without translating in their head than somebody that learns a second language as a young child or even along side their primary language their entire life.