• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What Does Sacrifice Mean Nowadays?

What Does Sacrifice Mean Nowadays?

by Linton Weeks

NPR.org, December 26, 2008 · The word of the coming year is sacrifice.

With a crippled economy and rising unemployment, people are being asked to make sacrifices. On the eve of his election, Barack Obama said that the American people are ready to "turn the page on policies that have put greed and irresponsibility before hard work and sacrifice."

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger of California said the state's budget cuts "will require sacrifice from everyone."

And FedEx CEO Fred Smith announced this month that 36,000 employees will be taking a mandatory 5 percent to 10 percent pay cut — and he will take a 20 percent reduction in base salary — to help prevent the package-delivery company from laying people off. "These steps are absolutely necessary," Smith told shareholders, "and will require shared sacrifice from the top down and across the FedEx workforce."

All this talk of sacrifice raises questions: Is it really a sacrifice if you are forced to do something? Is one person's sacrifice just another person's pain in the, um, neck? And, come to think of it, what does sacrifice mean anymore?

Shared And Willing Sacrifices

To be meaningful as a sacrifice, says Carolyn Marvin, a cultural historian at the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg School for Communication, the burden should be shouldered by everyone, and it has to be willingly made. If it's obvious that one group is doing the sacrificing and another one isn't, Marvin says, "it's visibly unjust."

Sacrifices, says Marvin, "have to be shared."

For example, Marvin says, "There was a moment of higher good following the tragedy in 2001 when the towers were attacked, that Americans were ready to make a special effort. Sacrifices would have been willingly shared." Some Americans made a sacrifice and joined the military effort. But most "were never called on to do that," Marvin says, despite raging wars and a growing energy crisis.

Now with Wall Street spiraling downward and unemployment spiraling upward, a majority of Americans are finally being called on to make sacrifices. But there is not a sense that the widespread economic sacrifice is for the greater good.

The primo example of national sacrifice — shared and willing — is World War II, seen by most Americans to be a just war to which all Americans contributed. That war helped pull the country out of another tumultuous time: the Great Depression.

This time around, Marvin says, America again has an ailing economy that touches everyone, but the justness of its two wars is challenged. "This is a time of shared sacrifice, but people are not willing," Marvin says. Such an imbalance, she adds, "doesn't improve public morale."

If the sacrifices that are demanded now can be re-cast by the new administration as contributing to a greater good that everyone can work toward, Marvin says, the disgruntlement might well be reversed. "That would be good for the country practically," Marvin says, "and good for our mutual confidence in one another."

Everyday Sacrifices

The word originally had a religious meaning: the ritual slaughter of an animal or person to appease the gods. In the Old Testament, for instance, Abraham was called upon by God to offer up his son Isaac as a sacrifice.

Eventually, Shakespeare seized the word and used it to speak of Romeo and Juliet as sacrifices to the Montague-Capulet family feud. "As rich shall Romeo's by his lady's lie," said old man Capulet. "Poor sacrifices of our enmity!"

Since that late 16th century utterance, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word has also meant the surrender of something great for the sake of something greater. We hear it in baseball, as in sacrifice bunts and flies. And in chess, as in sacrificing a pawn. But we haven't heard it much in popular American parlance in the past few years.

"Every time we make a decision," says Dennis Keenan, author of The Question of Sacrifice, "We sacrifice something that matters to us. That is, every time we make a decision, we say yes to one thing and no to other things about which we likewise care."

Enforced Sacrifices

As George Santayana wrote, nothing so much enhances a good as to make sacrifices for it.

So FedEx workers should be feeling good about the pay reduction, right? On the message board of the Memphis Commercial Appeal, FedEx employees, former employees and family members weighed in on the corporate decision. Many posted notes commending FedEx for saving jobs. "Everybody's understanding," says FedEx spokesman Jess Bunn. "Look at the current economic situation. The economy is bad and getting worse. A lot of companies chose to eliminate people; FedEx didn't."

Not everyone is happy about the cuts. As one salaried employee wrote on the bulletin board, the salary cuts "for the low-end folks will be a lot tougher than for the six-figure people."

And another FedEx employee observed: "I never want to see someone lose their job because even my worst enemies have families to feed, but there are far too many people at FedEx taking advantage of the fact that you practically have to kill someone to get fired. Now that these people are affecting my income and my way of life, I say good riddance!"

What we need, says Keenan, are "leaders who have the broad-based trust of the people, leaders who can patiently articulate the complicated issues of our times … leaders who can encourage others to make decisions that benefit the common good."

Keenan adds, "I am suspicious of across-the-board cuts. Some workers are obviously more at risk than others. Asking different people to make different sacrifices is often perceived in this country as unfair, but again, this is where strong, trusted leadership is crucial."

Mahatma Gandhi, who knew a thing or two about sacrifice, once said, "The mice which helplessly find themselves between the cat's teeth acquire no merit from their enforced sacrifice."

And what about people who don't want to make the sacrifice? "I don't know if there is any choice to it," says FedEx's Bunn. "The choice, I guess, would be for them to look for other alternatives."

If they distrubuted the plethora of wealth among sports players, singers, and actors, there'd be plenty to go around.

If they distrubuted the plethora of wealth among sports players, singers, and actors, there'd be plenty to go around.

That ditribution you talk of could easily be achieved if society decided that was the correct thing to do, using the the tax code.But don't just limit that too high profile high earners of course.:thumbsup:

I think that redistribution of wealth through heightened taxes, however much this is unpalatable to most people, maybe one of our only ways out of the massive deficit. Is there another way to increase tax revenue besides more efficient tax collections?

My Uncle, a tax return preparer, thought/thinks that the government should nationalize mortgage banks and use the interest revenue for deficit reduction.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
With a crippled economy and rising unemployment, people are being asked to make sacrifices. On the eve of his election, Barack Obama said that the American people are ready to "turn the page on policies that have put greed and irresponsibility before hard work and sacrifice."

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger of California said the state's budget cuts "will require sacrifice from everyone."

And FedEx CEO Fred Smith announced this month that 36,000 employees will be taking a mandatory 5 percent to 10 percent pay cut — and he will take a 20 percent reduction in base salary.

Mandatory is not a sacrifice. It's wrong to make someone take a pay cut to save a company.

I'd like a follow up on the CEO's that say they will be taking cuts. By someone not involved in the government or state.

It is always the middle class that is expected to sacrifice for the "good" of everyone else.

They want you to sacrifice your pay to do the same job, they don't pay enough to do in the first place. No more taxes or pay cuts for the middle class.

All this talk of sacrifice raises questions: Is it really a sacrifice if you are forced to do something?

No, it's not "sacrifice" if someone makes you do it. I'd never take a cut in pay.
Doing the same work for even less than people want to pay you is ludicrous.
I doubt any of the CEO's will be taking cuts. Even if they say they will be.

In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Same thing goes for the economic and oil "crisis."

I think that redistribution of wealth through heightened taxes, however much this is unpalatable to most people, maybe one of our only ways out of the massive deficit. Is there another way to increase tax revenue besides more efficient tax collections?

My Uncle, a tax return preparer, thought/thinks that the government should nationalize mortgage banks and use the interest revenue for deficit reduction.

That ditribution you talk of could easily be achieved if society decided that was the correct thing to do, using the the tax code.But don't just limit that too high profile high earners of course.:thumbsup:

Besides it isn't like our tax system isn't designed to distribute everybody's wealth now. It just makes it so it all goes to the rich. Having it be reversed would only make it fair for once.

Besides it isn't like our tax system isn't designed to distribute everybody's wealth now. It just makes it so it all goes to the rich. Having it be reversed would only make it fair for once.

Agreed. The problem here is two-fold: How do we reverse what you say is happening and how do any of us make it politically doable for Congress?

In my opinion, the tax code has, like much in government, become overly politicized. This has produced loopholes such allowing different accepted methods for cost of goods sold or different measures for depreciation (MACRS versus straight-line/declining-balance) for corporate financial statements than for tax-preparation. It's like WE indirectly have permitted GM's revenue-generating abilities to be regulated by a team of 535 CEOs, each with their own Board of Directors. I'm not suggesting doing away with Congress regarding taxation, just that we become realistic with how complicated we allow the system to become. One such solution would be to offset every tax-reducing loophole with a reverse somewhere else in the code. Additionally, somehow force the Tax Court decisions to be more in line with IRS regulations (and vice versa).

:2 cents:

Facetious

Moderated
It doesn't really matter how confiscatory the tax schedule becomes for the wealthiest corporate Americans, they have plenty of alternative options -

√ they know how to reciprocate with politicians

√ they employ the finest attorneys, hence, they exploit the loopholes and shelters

√ When things get real burdensome for their bottom line, they know that they are welcomed abroad to friendlier shores where the corporate tax rates are more realistic (below our near highest 35 % rate) *reason why they offshore their businesses*

The government should refrain from putting such great tax pressure on the wealthiest American corporate principals, unless, of course the government is prepared to absorb the mass ranks of the unemployed, which it is not.
You'll find out in a hurry who the blue collar workers were. :( :2 cents:

People think times are tough now?

You wait until the U.S. has 20+ trillion in national debt, the greenback's value plummets (which it already has started) and loses reserve currency status and the Chinese, Japanese, etc. stop lending America money.
The American standard of living will be cut in half.

Then you'll/we'll understand sacrifice.

America has become a debt ridden, service industry country; not a personal savings, production country.
That must change or kiss a $45,000+ per person GDP goodbye and welcome a $25,000 one.

Facetious

Moderated
^ good post :)

Does anybody know about that debt that we're running with China . . ?

Would that be in un-inflated dollars ? :tongue: :eek: :jester:

American needs to find a way to become P R O F I T A B L E again ! As evil and bastardized as that word has become, there you go. ;)

This concept of America retooling (or untooling) itself and becoming a service sector exclusive economy is hogwash ! Reduce corporate taxes now and encourage offshoring businesses to return home for profitable employ.

please !

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
If we're gonna talk trade deficits and national debt, we'll be sacrificing forever.

Obama said it himself in one of the debates:

"Maybe you'll go out to dinner less often, or put off buying that new car..."

When I heard that I thought, finally! This guy's in tune with my problems! My wife and I have cut ourselves back to 3 lobster dinners a week, and instead of buying that new lexus we kept our 6 month old one. Sure hope this thing blows over soon because it's tough slumming it like we are!

It doesn't really matter how confiscatory the tax schedule becomes for the wealthiest corporate Americans, they have plenty of alternative options -

√ they know how to reciprocate with politicians

√ they employ the finest attorneys, hence, they exploit the loopholes and shelters

√ When things get real burdensome for their bottom line, they know that they are welcomed abroad to friendlier shores where the corporate tax rates are more realistic (below our near highest 35 % rate) *reason why they offshore their businesses*

The government should refrain from putting such great tax pressure on the wealthiest American corporate principals, unless, of course the government is prepared to absorb the mass ranks of the unemployed, which it is not.
You'll find out in a hurry who the blue collar workers were. :( :2 cents:

I agree completely with each of your points.

The central point that I want to make, however, is how do people who want tax reform use your points - and countless other realities - as advantages? I'mean, isn't that strategy: making faults virtues?

My other point is this: If all tax-reducing loopholes were offset by tax-increasing (I cannot think of a better word, but I mean a reversal of a reduction) additions elsewhere in the tax code, preferably on the middle and lower classes, then overall collections would increase because no real losses would occur. Yet, because more real tax revenue, i.e the biggest bite, was coming from only the lowest two-thirds of American tax-payers (who vote in large numbers when they want change), this tax plan could stir them towards demanding reform. Hopefully, at this point, they would demand less more loopholes and more an elimination of the 34% tax rate, a restructuring of the lower rates, thus a hoped-for elimination of the unnecessary difference between real tax rate and effective tax rate.

My gut says that the lowest two-thirds will go this way. They'll perceive themselves paying less actually, out-of-check each week than with an exclusively year-end loophole. Plus, if our tax rates are actually lowered, i.e. we have to give less than a third of our collective incomes to the government, corporations may trickle slowly back to our shores.

Yet, what happens after is anyone's guess....