• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Want a Summer Job? Get in Line [After All Those Immigrants we Let in]

The dearth of jobs and competition with adults drive many teens from the labor force and create a tough slog for the rest.

Scott Spears has a bright future. He is close to graduating from his St. Paul school's International Baccalaureate program and already has charted out his course of college studies on his way to becoming a pharmacist.

But for now, he has a more immediate problem. He can't find a summer job.
...the unemployment rate for ages 16 to 19 has doubled since 2001. At the same time, teen worker wannabes are dropping out of the labor force altogether as opportunities dry up and laid-off adult workers heat up competition for low-paying entry-level jobs.

Spears is learning a hard lesson firsthand. When he quit his job selling concessions at a movie theater last year, he thought finding something new would be a snap. Numerous job applications later — some places twice, with plans for a third try — he has nothing.

...With a lagging economy, employers are pulling back on hiring.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_9217837?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com

So...do any of you bleeding hearts think we should reconsider our immigration policy in this God awful country? America is so totally going down the crapper. :thefinger

When he quit his job selling concessions at a movie theater last year, he thought finding something new would be a snap. Numerous job applications later — some places twice, with plans for a third try — he has nothing.

hey it's my life! only it's at 23 instead of 16.

why do teens need to get jobs? so they can buy shit at the mall? they don't have any bills to pay.

lol...these arguments have been made for hundreds of years now. The country hasn't ended yet. that the guys up there know that you don't is that the benefits far outweight anything negative...keyword here being "far"

don't worry, you will outgrow this mentality eventually.

but I don't see this as an immigration issue, I see it as a business issue. We are all trying to get a job, immigrants too. So whose fault is it that businesses want to hire illegal, underpaid workers? They could cut the problem off at the source and choose to only hire Americans, but instead they put their own profits over the nations best interests. Instead we encourage this cutthroat fuck-over mentality, call it "good business" and displace our rage at other poor people trying to make a living in the land of little-opportunity.

hey it's my life! only it's at 23 instead of 16.

why do teens need to get jobs? so they can buy shit at the mall? they don't have any bills to pay.

That's the spirit. Way to build character. Bunch of lazy kids in this country, half them want jobs but the illegal at Olive Garden is the one bussing the table. Shame.

lol...these arguments have been made for hundreds of years now. The country hasn't ended yet. that the guys up there know that you don't is that the benefits far outweight anything negative...keyword here being "far"

don't worry, you will outgrow this mentality eventually.

SniperOct,

You poser. :sleep:

but I don't see this as an immigration issue, I see it as a business issue. We are all trying to get a job, immigrants too. So whose fault is it that businesses want to hire illegal, underpaid workers? They could cut the problem off at the source and choose to only hire Americans, but instead they put their own profits over the nations best interests. Instead we encourage this cutthroat fuck-over mentality, call it "good business" and displace our rage at other poor people trying to make a living in the land of little-opportunity.

Actually, pretty good post here, Calpoon. I agree (accept for that bit about the immigrants)

I think we need to either curtail illegal immigration, or start heavily punishing those businesses that hire illegals. This may lower unemployment rates. The unfortunate flip-side to that coin is that consumer prices will likely be driven up by either of these measures.

If you look at the link you will not see any mention of immigrants legal or otherwise.The story is how teens are losing out to adults who are having diificult time also finding employment.How about we blame the very well to do who have not paid their fair share of taxes for years instead of people who are just looking to earn a living and sustain themselves.Or the policys that have left us so very vunerable to effects of higher gas prices which are resulting in a tremendous ripple effect through the economy.But in a time of uncertainty scapegoats are very convienent.It is the people who have dissed unions and so called liberal policys towards workers and their rights and supported nonsense like tax breaks for the rich hoping they would invest in america and grow our economy who are really much more at fault than immigrants or adult workers IMO.

If you look at the link you will not see any mention of immigrants legal or otherwise..

EXACTLY! You will not hear a PEEP about immigrants. Why would the filthy lying media even mention all the tens of millions of illegals who are stealing jobs from 4th, 5th...8th generation Americans? :ak47:

Theopolis Q. Hossenffer

Every Nation Needs a God-Emperor!
The Chicago Trib had a story a couple of days ago about how up-Sh*t-creek the Lansdcaping industry(among others) is due to the fact that a recent change in the immigration law now lets in 65,000(yes thousand) less summer only workers. According to the story the employers couldn't find anyone to take the jobs and that they could have trouble filling their contracts for clients. Same old whining aout Americans unwilling to take these jobs and only immigrants would.

The Chicago Trib had a story a couple of days ago about how up-Sh*t-creek the Lansdcaping industry(among others) is due to the fact that a recent change in the immigration law now lets in 65,000(yes thousand) less summer only workers. According to the story the employers couldn't find anyone to take the jobs and that they could have trouble filling their contracts for clients. Same old whining aout Americans unwilling to take these jobs and only immigrants would.

Funny there was a similar article in a Minneapolis paper on a person that owned a construction company and could not find any workers. The only ones that applied were resident aliens from mexico.

Facetious

Moderated
Since approximately the recent turn of the century, the American businesses and the rank and file American worker shared an allegiance with one another. Today the employees are looked upon as simply expendable toilers. The business attitude is no longer focused on which company can manufacture the highest quality product, it's how many units they can produce at a quality level that they can get away with for the greatest profit margin.
The "American" corporation is no longer American, for they're now International establishments.

Enter - Insource Foreign Labor (legal or otherwise) for a greater profit margin exclusively for the execs. (lowers wages for everybody across the board) dammit !

Enter - Outsource Semi Technical to Technical roles to foreign "emerging" nations, also for a greater profit margin solely for the chairmanship / executive positions within the corporation(s).

* Note the oil prices are up up up due in large part as a direct result of demands put forth from the "emerging nations" of which a tremendous amount of our (America's) business / manufacturing infrastructure now resides.

Asides -

"Career" is a word that is now defunct.

Finally - If "they're" illegal, by definition, they're not "immigrants".

Funny there was a similar article in a Minneapolis paper on a person that owned a construction company and could not find any workers. The only ones that applied were resident aliens from mexico.

That's so totally bunk. :rolleyes: Really, are you guys buying this? And all this rhetoric from Clinton and the other candidates about creating more jobs. Seriously, get real. Some people say the country is no good to live in anymore when you lose the right to bear arms, I say it's no good anymore when some poor soul has put so much effort into finding employment, that they exit the experiment altogether.

American Jobs - Gone Tomorrow?

How Unskilled Immigrants Hurt Our Economy

That's so totally bunk. :rolleyes: Really, are you guys buying this? And all this rhetoric from Clinton and the other candidates about creating more jobs. Seriously, get real. Some people say the country is no good to live in anymore when you lose the right to bear arms, I say it's no good anymore when some poor soul has put so much effort into finding employment, that they exit the experiment altogether.

American Jobs - Gone Tomorrow?

How Unskilled Immigrants Hurt Our Economy

Oh come on 96, links from City Journal are bad enough, but VDARE, too??
That's white supremacist shit you're peddling there. Are you that far off the deep end? VDARE is really extreme stuff. Brimelow, Sam Francis, and Jared Taylor? Big-time racists.

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=152

"I say it's no good anymore when some poor soul has put so much effort into finding employment, that they exit the experiment altogether."

Hey, you know the right-wing line applied to any and every liberal who has ever criticized the US of A (one that I hate, and I'm not SERIOUSLY offering it here; it's just for fun) - America: Love it or leave it! If you think the country's no good to live in anymore, then pack up and go! (and cry yourself to sleep at night imagining some greasy Mexican family moving into what used to be your home)...

While I do agree that mass illegal immigration is one of the problems facing the world today, I can't hate people for trying to escape poverty and seek a better life for themselves.

One also has to look at the jobs these people are doing - fruit-picking, textiles, meat processing... Do you really think American teenagers would be willing to do this kind of work?

Oh come on 96, links from City Journal are bad enough, but VDARE, too??
That's white supremacist shit you're peddling there. Are you that far off the deep end? VDARE is really extreme stuff. Brimelow, Sam Francis, and Jared Taylor? Big-time racists.

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=152

"I say it's no good anymore when some poor soul has put so much effort into finding employment, that they exit the experiment altogether."

Hey, you know the right-wing line applied to any and every liberal who has ever criticized the US of A (one that I hate, and I'm not SERIOUSLY offering it here; it's just for fun) - America: Love it or leave it! If you think the country's no good to live in anymore, then pack up and go! (and cry yourself to sleep at night imagining some greasy Mexican family moving into what used to be your home)...

Umm, no. Look at the links on VDARE. There's some black voices on there too.

On a related note:

Hundreds arrested in Iowa immigration raid

They were paying them $5 an hour. :thefinger Oh I so totally hope they figuratively sodomize the owner of that factory. :thefinger

Umm, no. Look at the links on VDARE. There's some black voices on there too.

Oh please spare me with that cop-out. One can find Jewish anti-semites and Slavic neo-Nazis in Slavic countries that were ravaged by Hitler, too. It doesn't mean that the views espoused aren't racist. Usually, gross ignorance, gullibility, sheer idiocy or a mix of all three explain those oddballs.

And I'm not goin' on VDARE, sorry. What's next - a link to Stormfront or Klan site?? You're practically there now; you're just into the "polite" versions of the same shit.

Oh please spare me with that cop-out. One can find Jewish anti-semites and Slavic neo-Nazis in Slavic countries that were ravaged by Hitler, too. It doesn't mean that the views espoused aren't racist. Usually, gross ignorance, gullibility, sheer idiocy or a mix of all three explain those oddballs.

And I'm not goin' on VDARE, sorry. What's next - a link to Stormfront or Klan site?? You're practically there now; you're just into the "polite" versions of the same shit.

For starters, I'm no f---king racist. (2) I am not all that familiar with that site to begin with, but the article was pretty much spot on. (C) The links are pretty diverse. No cop-out here. And if you ask me, people that want mass un-enforced immigration are the real haters of America. Those are the people that truly hate the lower-class (which is the most diverse in the world).