• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

US pledge of allegiance and "under god"

Is it fair that the pledge has "under god" in it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is the 1st of two public polls I am going to start on this issue.Public meaning how you vote will be recorded,the reason for this will be apparent in part 2.
As I am sure almost all americans are familair with the controvery over under god in the pledge.I'm sure many people in other countries are aware of it also and are welcome to participate.
Just as a quick refresher the words "under god" were not in the pledge untill the 1950s when they were added IMO as a way to differentiate the US from as we perceived them the "godless atheist commies" in the USSR.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

This poll will be open 2 days after which I will post part 2.

Under God would be fine, but they throw out God's rules when it's not convenient to their selfish interests, and pretend to follow them when it is. We also know the Soviet Union repressed any talk about God or religion, so it seems very short sighted to add "under God". Were they talking about Stalin himself when the added those words with no clue to what those repressed people might have wanted? Narrow minded viewpoint as usual to sell US citizens on flawed policy.

Under God would be fine, but they throw out God's rules when it's not convenient to their selfish interests, and pretend to follow them when it is.

QFT

dick van cock

Closed Account
A clear "no". But not out of the given reason.

The US were founded as a secular country. Officially pledging the entire nation to a deity undermines this principle.

... and if the Americans pride their country "Land of the free" why do they enslave themselves to a "God" ?

I. Kant: "Enlightenment is man’s leaving his self-caused immaturity. Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another."

(this "another" also means deities)

(Kant was a major influence to Emerson)

:confused:

Facetious

Moderated
As I am sure almost all americans are familair with the controvery over under god in the pledge.I'm sure many people in other countries are aware of it also and are welcome to participate.
Just as a quick refresher the words "under god" were not in the pledge untill the 1950s when they were added

It doesn't bother me particularly. What would they propose to ban next ? All Holidays ? I wouldn't force an international winter solstice day of observance upon everyone !

Who Benefits ?

3. mike newdow
4. That long ugly bread & potato line. :1orglaugh
5. socialized - universal misery

No Thank You :1orglaugh

Unlike the inscriptions on coins and other things, which I consider basically harmless, I generally dislike the use of it in the pledge of allegiance the way it's done now. First, I don't like the fact the words "under God" weren't always in there but were artificially put in as a message on morality. The other has to do with the fact so many young kids say it in school. I wouldn't want it to become a form of subtle brainwashing. We have people recite it before they even know what the words "pledging allegiance" or the gravity of that act really mean. Trying to add God into the mix makes it even worse.

Facetious

Moderated
BTW - Where do we ever, so much as, hear the Pledge of Allegiance these days ?
IIRC - It's banned in public forums, schools etc . :confused:

Just curious how this came to a head on this day :confused:

:glugglug:

BTW - Where do we ever, so much as, hear the Pledge of Allegiance these days ?
IIRC - It's banned in public forums, schools etc . :confused:

Just curious how this came to a head on this day :confused:

:glugglug:

Banned in schools?Not that I'm aware of.And in fact I am aware of no ban on it anywhere.Please enlighten me.:dunno:

Public teachers don't tolerate it ! It's an internal matter. ;)

It's unwritten (teachers union protocol)

"STATE LAWS

35 states attempt to accomplish what the Constitution forbids by requiring teachers to "lead students” in the pledge on a daily basis. Six other states “encourage” their schools to provide a daily recitation to willing students. One state, Texas, requires not only a daily salute to the American flag but also a separate salute to the flag of Texas.

Hawai‘i is one of only eleven states without a statute requiring or encouraging a daily salute to the flag in public schools. Hawai‘i’s Department of Education has no policy on the pledge. The decision is left entirely to individual principals and teachers. The director for civil rights compliance at the DOE, Tom Yamashita, emphasizes that teachers who lead a daily recitation of the pledge are instructed to make it voluntary, with no adverse impact on those who choose not to participate."
http://rexcurry.net/pledgelaws.html

Teachers are required by law in most places to lead their classes in the pledge.Students are required to at least rise but not say it.This is really not what my question was about but glad to set the record straight.I take as a given most public schoolrooms are reciting the pledge each morning.If they were not this would be much less of an issue then it is, but then again it still would be an issue for non-believers just on principal.And being the offspring of a public school teacher I think I know they obey the laws generally lol.

plucap

Banned
Who cares.
Americans are too much about what happened back in the 18th century.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
What about a "does it really fuckin matter anymore" option! I grew up saying under god and never thought anything of it! I think people have nothing better to do that bitch about stupid shit like this!

I don't think it really matters anymore, when I was in a school that actually did the pledge, most of the kids didn't even say it anyway.

What it matters is even if you didn't realize saying it had an effect it did.You were being told every day by the state there is a god.Nothing neutral there at all .But many I will admit probably most disagreeing with Fox think that is fine.All the polls show that.I think it is important in many ways the heavy religiousity especially offical religiousity in this country.If you don't well then you don't, so find something more important to post on lol.:tongue:

I think it should be left in the pledge because, today, it serves as nothing more than a reminder of my country's hypocrisy. If we really pledged to live "under God," we would treat our own people with more respect and we'd leave other countries alone. We don't do much of either.