• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

'The Jeffersons' Star Sherman Hemsley Dies at 74

Sherman Hemsley, who played cantankerous dry cleaner George Jefferson on the hit sitcom "The Jeffersons," was found dead Tuesday in his El Paso, Texas, home, TMZ reports, He was 74.
No cause of death was disclosed.
Hemsley rose to fame on the sitcom "All in The Family," from which "The Jeffersons" was spun off in 1975. The series ran until 1985 on CBS, lasting 11 seasons and 253 episodes. As the patriarch of the series, Hemsley charmed audiences with his cocky strut and readiness with brash verbal zingers.
Also read:Frank Pierson, Director/Writer/Producer and AMPAS President, Dies at 87
Overall, "The Jeffersons" racked up 11 Emmy nominations, with Hemsley receiving Best Actor nominations from 1981 to 1985. (His co-star, Isabel Sanford -- who played his wife Louise, affectionately referred to as "Weezy" -- would take home an Emmy in 1981. She died in 2004 at 86.)
Hemsley would go on to many other television roles, notably as Deacon Ernest Frye in the late-'80s sitcom "Amen."
Hemsley most recently reprised the role of George Jefferson on the TV series "House of Pain" last year.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/jeffersons-star-sherman-hemsley-74-report-212144161.html

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
He was a funny guy. Loved the show when I was a kid, but I liked him more when he was still on All in the Family....he was a little more hateful before the spin off.

Can't say I was a huge fan, but liked the show. He had a good career.

ApolloBalboa

Was King of the Board for a Day
I remember the first thing I saw him in was Mr. Nanny with Hulk Hogan. It sucked. When I got older, I started watching All In The Family and The Jeffersons and recognized him, except this time I enjoyed what I was watching. It's a shame he died, especially when 74 sounds so young compared to people like Ernest Borgnine and Celeste Holm who both died in their 90's.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Andy Griffith and now Sherman Hemsley... :(

RIP, Mr. Jefferson.

DR. B

Closed Account
RIP, Mr. Sherman Hemsley

My Favorite Sherman Hemsley performance

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
I found out that Sherman loved his pyschidelic drugs sir you will be missed, take care in heaven.