• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The 5 Types of Jewish Characters in Sci-Fi Movies Read more: The 5 Types of Jewish C

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I am unsure if this should be moved to the political section. If a majority forms, I will move it.

The 5 Types of Jewish Characters in Sci-Fi Movies

The other day, I finally gave in to the Internet's demands and watched Joss Whedon's Firefly series. Good call, Internet. I enjoyed it, but that has nothing to do with this article. Y'see, although the show takes place in a different galaxy 500 years in the future, one episode still features a minor Jewish character.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-types-jewish-characters-in-sci-fi-movies/

Pretty funny shit :1orglaugh

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Re: The 5 Types of Jewish Characters in Sci-Fi Movies Read more: The 5 Types of Jewi

I'm not a huge Trekkie or sci-fi fan, although I was a big fan of Stargate SG-1, but even I've heard complaints from some (hypersensitive?) Jewish groups about the Ferengi being portrayed as "Space Jews". To me, it was more a case of people seeing what they wanted to see... and then complaining if they didn't like what they thought they'd seen.

Personally, I became more interested in the Romulans once I learned that that fictional race was based on the ancient Romans. But in the episodes I saw, I think the various Star Trek series did a pretty poor job of making a rational, plausible link to that ancient civilization. Plus, I never understood if the Vulcans were really the Remans. That would have made some sense. But that's been the extent of my interest in fictional races in sci-fi... though I'm sure writers have to draw on various, real, human races or ethnic groups from time to time.

Interesting article, Supa. :thumbsup:

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Re: The 5 Types of Jewish Characters in Sci-Fi Movies Read more: The 5 Types of Jewi

We have to have "Jewish" references in every show? This is America. :tongue:

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to

Don't forget...

I think the author is a bit off base with the Ferengi. They were patterned after the worst attributes of American culture, i.e. chauvinism, greed, and materialism. That said, I could see how someone could mistake that for negative Jewish stereotypes.