• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Texas Woman Arrested for Warning Drivers About Speed Trap (video)

I applaud this woman. :hatsoff: Nothing makes my blood boil much more than a cop with a ticket quota at the bottom of a hill just nailing people. It's so unbelievably unethical it makes me sick.

By ALON HARISH
June 28, 2012
A Houston woman's attempt to save drivers from a speeding ticket landed her something worse: 12 hours in jail.

As she rode her bicycle home from a grocery store last week near downtown Houston, Natalie Plummer noticed police officers pulling over speeders. After she parked her bike and turned one of her grocery bags into a makeshift sign warning drivers about the "speed trap" ahead, an officer drove up and arrested her.

"I was completely abiding by the law," Plummer told ABC's affiliate KRTK. "I was simply warning citizens of a situation ahead."

But Houston police saw it differently, and arrested Plummer for standing in the street where there a sidewalk was present, a misdemeanor charge.

Houston police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said that officers found Plummer standing in the street, waving her arms as she held the sign.

But Plummer denied ever leaving the sidewalk on West Dallas Street, alleging that the arresting officer invented a reason to detain her.

"He couldn't take me to jail for holding up this sign or he would have. So all he could do was make up something fake about it," Plummer told KRTK. The officer searched Plummer's backpack, she said, and threatened to arrest her for obstructing justice, a felony charge.

Michael Dirden, Houston's executive assistant police chief, said in a statement that if Plummer believes the police acted inappropriately, she should file a complaint with the department's internal affairs division.

After being held in jail for 12 hours, Plummer was released on bond, and will soon appear in court to face her misdemeanor charge.

While Plummer's method of alerting drivers to police activity might have been unprecedented, state laws covering such warnings are decades old. Their most common form, flashing headlights, is legal in some states but illegal in others.

Laws in New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and Florida allow headlight flashing, while other states, such as Arizona and Alaska, forbid it. In Washington, drivers may be fined $124 for flashing their high beams within 400 feet of another vehicle for any reason. Other states forbid headlight flashing in some circumstances but not in others.

In Massachusetts, flashing car lights is not illegal, but it may result in an encounter with a police officer. If a driver says no when an officer asks whether headlights were flashed to warn drivers of a speed trap, the officer might ask if the motorist was driving with defective lights — which state law forbids.
Video at link:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/speed-trap-sign-lands-texas-woman-jail/story?id=16670386

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
If you drive at the speed limit then what reason should you have to worry.

Not the problem as I see it. In my city the police deliberately seek out places at the bottom of a hill and such are going to "catch" people who aren't habitually out driving like a bat out of Hell.

Also, they have quotas, much like the ones they have on parking meters - some times they wait at parking meters when people only have a few minutes to "catch" people and further line their departments' pockets. These sort of things should not be tolerated by anyone - left, right, liberal gay or whatever. It's not a partisan issue, it's an ethics issue.

And for the record I've been driving for half my life now and I think I have one speeding ticket during that entire time. Not bad considering I'm in the big city and cops are everywhere.

Also, they have quotas, much like the ones they have on parking meters - some times they wait at parking meters when people only have a few minutes to "catch" people and further line their departments' pockets. These sort of things should not be tolerated by anyone - left, right, liberal gay or whatever. It's not a partisan issue, it's an ethics issue.
Then don't blame the cops, they are just trying to get the quotas. Blame the guys who wrote this fucking quotas rule.

Then don't blame the cops, they are just trying to get the quotas. Blame the guys who wrote this fucking quotas rule.

Ha. Probably on your side of the isle to fund the hiring of more and more "public workers."

Ain't a ton different than their BS "Click it or Ticket" movement. They can stick it straight where the sun don't shine.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Who says that it is necessarily about quotas? One of the best ways to get people to drive the speed limit is to make them think that they can be caught anywhere and that's why cops set traps at places the driver can't see beforehand. That's why it is called a trap. It would make no sense to do it anywhere else. What the woman was trying to do was give people who were breaking the law a free pass when they should have gotten a ticket and that's decidedly worse than a cop having to meet a quota.

Who says that it is necessarily about quotas? One of the best ways to get people to drive the speed limit is to make them think that they can be caught anywhere and that's why cops set traps at places the driver can't see beforehand. That's why it is called a trap. It would make no sense to do it anywhere else.
I would make sense to put in in the middle of a long straight line where the average assholes are having fun pushing their cars to its limits. It would make more sense than putting them at the bottom of a hill where the average driver can happen to be a little over the speed limit by accident

:facepalm: Do not defend corruption.

No defence of corruption is implied, if you drive over the speed limit and by which I do mean significantly, then you deserve to be punished. The rules of the road do not exist at the leisure of the ignorant driver.

I see it every day, ass holes overtaking where they shouldn't, speeding where it isn't needed and driving generally in a wreckless manner. I pray that one day karma will make them their bitch, whether its be via wooden box or hole in their wallet. Cops might have quotas, I stress might, it seems appropriate they get met targeting people who deserve it.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Let's say that she had the sign and there was no speed trap. People slow down just the same. Public safety first.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...

Just following orders is not a reason. Following unlawful or unconstitutional orders and laws makes you a traitor.

Ha. Probably on your side of the isle to fund the hiring of more and more "public workers."

Ain't a ton different than their BS "Click it or Ticket" movement. They can stick it straight where the sun don't shine.

Click it or ticket is a money grab. They really don't care if you're safe.

No defence of corruption is implied, if you drive over the speed limit and by which I do mean significantly, then you deserve to be punished. The rules of the road do not exist at the leisure of the ignorant driver.

I see it every day, ass holes overtaking where they shouldn't, speeding where it isn't needed and driving generally in a wreckless manner. I pray that one day karma will make them their bitch, whether its be via wooden box or hole in their wallet. Cops might have quotas, I stress might, it seems appropriate they get met targeting people who deserve it.

Read what Scott has to say below.

Not the problem as I see it. In my city the police deliberately seek out places at the bottom of a hill and such are going to "catch" people who aren't habitually out driving like a bat out of Hell.

And for the record I've been driving for half my life now and I think I have one speeding ticket during that entire time. Not bad considering I'm in the big city and cops are everywhere.

See DOA, they are going after easy targets. Not people who are actually causing problems.

What about people going under the speed limit? They cause many more problems.

Criminal offense of impeding the flow of traffic. How many people are pulled over for that traffic violation?

I do not think that the administration is able to prove that the woman was trying to warn other drivers.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Police typically lurk in areas where a simple terrain feature, and cause an unintended breach of the law. If the posted speed limit is 35, and you are on a down grade, you very well might gain momentum and creep up to 40, unless you ride the brake. That's an excuse to pull you over...they might not give you a ticket for the speed limit infraction, but if you choose to not wear a seat belt, they now have an excuse to write you up. Maybe they get lucky and catch a drunk driver, or a wanted felon. I don't like it, but better a trained officer, then a camera on a pole, that has no ability to exercise common sense, or listen to a logical explanation.

Anyway you look at it, there are pros and cons.

Just following orders is not a reason. Following unlawful or unconstitutional orders and laws makes you a traitor.
No laws forbid cops to seek ou at the bottom of hills.
Evverything that's not illegal is legal.
Cops have orders to catch people driving over the speed limit so they seek out on places where people will drive over the speed limit.

We're not talking about unlawful laws, we're talking about a stupidly zealous way to keep the law, wich is totally legal. Stupid, but legal.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...

Police typically lurk in areas where a simple terrain feature, and cause an unintended breach of the law. If the posted speed limit is 35, and you are on a down grade, you very well might gain momentum and creep up to 40, unless you ride the brake. That's an excuse to pull you over...they might not give you a ticket for the speed limit infraction, but if you choose to not wear a seat belt, they now have an excuse to write you up. Maybe they get lucky and catch a drunk driver, or a wanted felon. I don't like it, but better a trained officer, then a camera on a pole, that has no ability to exercise common sense, or listen to a logical explanation.

Anyway you look at it, there are pros and cons.

No laws forbid cops to seek ou at the bottom of hills.
Evverything that's not illegal is legal.
Cops have orders to catch people driving over the speed limit so they seek out on places where people will drive over the speed limit.

We're not talking about unlawful laws, we're talking about a stupidly zealous way to keep the law, wich is totally legal. Stupid, but legal.

Read Scott's and Revidffum's comments.

They are looking for an easy ticket. As Revidffum said, where a simple terrain feature can cause an unintentional breach of the law.
Also, slow drivers. How many are pulled over? So, sitting at the bottom of a hill and speed traps are not a good idea and since people are stupid a law needs to be passed.