• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Studies Show Link Between Getting Spanked and Poorer Scores on Intelligence Tests

Don't spank your kids even if you have good intentions!

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20090924/kids-who-get-spanked-may-have-lower-iqs

Kids Who Get Spanked May Have Lower IQs

Studies Show Link Between Getting Spanked and Poorer Scores on Intelligence Tests

By Salynn Boyles

WebMD Health News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Sept. 24, 2009 --

Parents who spare the rod just might end up with smarter kids.

Two new studies suggest that children who are spanked have lower IQs than children who aren't, regardless of where they live.

In one study, researchers analyzed the intelligence scores of roughly 1,500 children in the U.S. who took part in the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth. They found that these scores were slightly lower among children whose mothers reported using spanking as a form of discipline.

In the other study, national average IQ scores were found to be lower in countries where spanking is common.

The research was led by University of New Hampshire sociologist Murray A. Straus, PhD, who has studied the impact of corporal punishment on child development for decades. He is a vocal opponent of the practice.

Straus was scheduled to present his findings Friday in San Diego at the 14th International Conference on Violence, Abuse and Trauma.

"The best kept secret of American child psychology is that kids who are not spanked are the best behaved and do the best in life," he tells WebMD. "You won't find that in a single child development textbook, but it is true."

Spanking and IQ
In the U.S. investigation, Straus and colleague Mallie J. Paschall, PhD, of the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation analyzed data from 806 children who were 2 to 4 years old at enrollment and 704 children between the ages of 5 and 9.

The children were tested for intelligence when they entered the trials and again four years later.

Even after accounting for factors that could influence IQ scores, such as parental education and socioeconomic status, spanking appeared to have a negative impact on intelligence.

The IQs of the younger children who were spanked were 5 points lower on average four years later than those of children of the same age who were not spanked. Scores among the older children were an average of 2.8 points lower among spanked children than children who were not spanked.

Straus characterized the impact of spanking on intelligence in the study as small but significant.

"Many things influence a child's IQ," he says. "This is just one of them, but it is one that parents can do something about."

In the second study, Straus analyzed data from more than 17,000 university students in 32 countries who were polled about their parents' use of corporal punishment. The answers were then compared to national average IQ scores.

Straus says IQ scores were lower in countries in which spanking was more prevalent, with the strongest association seen when children were spanked from childhood through their teens.

Critics Say Evidence Is Weak

While numerous studies have linked corporal punishment to aggressive behavior, far fewer have examined the impact of spanking on intelligence.

Critics Say Evidence Is Weak continued...
But earlier this month, Duke University research scientist Lisa J. Berlin, PhD, and colleagues also linked early spanking to reduced intelligence in one of the most rigorously designed studies to ever address the issue.

The researchers questioned 2,500 racially diverse, low-income moms about their use of spanking as a discipline tool for their toddlers.

They found that children who were spanked at age 1 were more aggressive than those who weren't by age 2 and they scored lower on tests to assess mental development at age 3.

"The research as a whole really paints a picture of the detrimental long-term effects of physical punishment," Berlin tells WebMD. "The message to parents is find other ways to discipline your children."

A 2002 analysis of 88 spanking studies spanning six decades linked spanking to 10 negative behaviors including aggression, anti-social behavior, and mental health issues.

More than 90% of the studies found spanking to be detrimental, says developmental psychologist Elizabeth Gershoff, PhD, who conducted the analysis.

"Parents spank to decrease bad behavior in the short and long term and to promote positive behavior," she tells WebMD. "What the research tells us is that spanking doesn't seem to be doing either of these things."

But critics say that research is highly suspect because it has largely been conducted by investigators like Straus, Berlin, and Gershoff who strongly oppose the practice.

In addition, the studies are often criticized for lacking scientific rigor -- a charge Gershoff acknowledges is hard to counter.

"We can't very well do experiments in which we tell some parents to spank their children and others not too," she says.

Straus likens the criticism to that leveled at the early studies linking smoking to lung cancer.

"For years the tobacco industry was able to destroy the studies one by one because they all had problems," he says. "No single study was truly definitive. But in the end the Surgeon General concluded that the evidence as a whole just couldn't be denied."

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
That explains it then. Clearly, HR wasn't just spanked as child, he was beaten within an inch of his life several times. Also, he wasn't just dropped on his head as a baby. No, no, he was volleyball spiked into the ground repeatedly. This explains his knowledge of only one word: NeoCon. :hatsoff:

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
You will have spoiled children if you do not discipline them.

They will grow up to be liberals.

Spank them everyday, just a little. ;)

Spanking is proper discipline.

Proverbs 22:15 (KJV)
Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

That explains it then. Clearly, HR wasn't just spanked as child, he was beaten within an inch of his life several times. Also, he wasn't just dropped on his head as a baby. No, no, he was volleyball spiked into the ground repeatedly. This explains his knowledge of only one word: NeoCon. :hatsoff:

Huh. I thought he witnessed his parents being murdered by NeoCons as a young child and then vowed revenge on them. :dunno:

habo9

Banned
You will have spoiled children if you do not discipline them.

They will grow up to be liberals.

Spank them everyday, just a little. ;)

Spanking is proper discipline.

Proverbs 22:15 (KJV)
Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Just wondering Will , I take it you got spanked to within an inch of your life daily? :rofl:

:rofl::1orglaugh

Too bad I can't rep you again today.

Peashooter

Closed Account
So if I hadn't been spanked when I fucked up, I would be higher than a 116. My wife didn't get spanked and she's at 108. Hmmm, interesting. My daughter gets spanked if she does something wrong, and she scored in the top 1% of 1st graders in the state in their testing last month. Spanking is necessary in order to keep them in line, just as long as it doesn't go too far.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Not daily but they had to do something to reduce my intelligence , with my knowledge I could have destroyed the world ;)

2 Timothy 3:1-4 (KJV)
1: This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2: For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3: Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4: Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

2 Timothy 3:7-8 (KJV)
7: Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8: Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

That chapter refers to a lot of people here. :D:hatsoff:

habo9

Banned
2 Timothy 3:1-4 (KJV)
1: This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2: For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3: Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4: Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

2 Timothy 3:7-8 (KJV)
7: Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8: Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

That chapter refers to a lot of people here. :D:hatsoff:

Will you have done it again...................:sleep::sleep::sleep:

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Maybe it's the other way around...already dumb kids regularly get spanked??:confused:

There has to be a woman out there somewhere, any woman for crissakes that will get this dude laid.

Preferably a NeoCon chick.

Besides being sexually abused by family members and pastors and repeatedly verbally, psychologicall and physically abused at home, this article explains why NeoCons in this country are such great morons and why they shouldn't be in high positions of leadership or spreading their NeoCon crapaganda on the airwaves :rolleyes:

Besides being sexually abused by family members and pastors and repeatedly verbally, psychologicall and physically abused at home, this article explains why NeoCons in this country are such great morons and why they shouldn't be in high positions of leadership or spreading their NeoCon crapaganda on the airwaves :rolleyes:

And there you have it.

JayJohn85

Banned
IQ is the biggest pile of bullshit ever devised.

Genius 1 per cent intelligence.......99 per cent work.

Fook I would be one if I wasnt a lazy bastard lol.

Philbert

Banned
The point is, no one should be hitting a 1 year old for any reason...around 2-3 a mild announced spanking is an effective ending to a discipline problem...the last spanking my girl got was around 3 1/2 and it was announced long before it happened. She is 8 1/2 now, and never needed a spank of any kind since then. She is also in the highest percentile of her grade level, and due to excessive talking gets B+s and As; I gave her blue eyes and a propensity to talk too much in class.
But she had a solid basis for behavior, verbal warnings need to be heeded as a butt smack will soon follow...she always gets sweet comments on her report cards from the teachers, and an E in conduct categories.
No spanking creates self centered brats and a lot of unfriendly adults around you everywhere you go.

Like the song says...
Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be Hellraisin...!