• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Stephen Kings Best "SCARIEST" Movie

Stephen Kings Best "SCARIEST" Movie

• Cujo

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • The Stand

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • The shining

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • The Dark Half

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Needful Things

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pet Cemetery

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • IT

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dreamcatcher

• The Tommyknockers

• Salem's Lot

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
So which one of these scared you the most :shocked:

That thing out of Salem's Lot with the bald head and weird front teeth scared the shit outta me when i was a kid :eek:

The original 'Salem's Lot was mondo creepy, but I gotta admit I prefer the remake with Rob Lowe, the vampires were much better.

Christine was good (kudos to John Carpenter)
Riding the Bullet (nicely dream-like)
Sometimes They Come Back (a creepy tale, forget the sequels)
Creepshow (written by and starring Steve-O in a great comedic performance)
Misery (that could happen and almost did to Dario Argento)
Graveyard Shift (very under-rated)
Sleepwalkers (incest, murder, soul sucking monsters, good one)
The Langoliers (munch, munch, munch, munch)
Maximum Overdrive (the giant Goblin face still creeps me out!)
Desperation (better than the book)
Silver Bullet (again better than the book, great werewolf FX)
Rose Red (worth a watch)
Kingdom Hospital (under-appreciated)
1408 (weird!)

I'm with Lady Love on this one- Cujo scared me the most, #1- because it could really happen and #2- because I was a little kid when I saw it the first time and we happened to have a large dog at the time.

The only thing is, Stephen King's horror novels never seem to translate very well onto the silver screen. The films are always kind of a disappointment to me because I'm a huge Stephen King fan. A large part of the terror in his novels is getting inside the characters' heads, being a part of their very thoughts; it's hard to do that with a movie.

IMHO, the two SK stories that translated best into movies were Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and The Body (a.k.a., Stand by Me). Apt Pupil was also a fair adaptation. Strange, all three of those were from Different Seasons. I wonder if there's a stellar production of The Breathing Method in the works.

Have to vote for IT. Saw it when I was young and I think it created my clown phobia. So it's definitely the only one to leave a long term impression on me.

The shining scared the crap outa me when I was younger:crying:

those little girls in the hallway, I still look down hallways in hotels waiting to see them:eek:

"IT" gives me the chills more than any of the others. But I agree with LL and others that the original "Salem's Lot" was a masterpiece and my favorite King adaptation.

My favorite is definately The Shining. But, I'm not a great big Stephen King fan. And I love almost everything that Kubrick ever did. The Shining is a classic in the horror genre and it's imagery had a strong impact on any ghost story that made it to film after it. And it is entirely Stanley Kubrick.

And all you have to do is crook your finger at someone and say, "Redrum, Redrum...", and they're immediately on the right page.

Yeah I went with the Shining as well, mostly because it was prolly the first movie that really freaked me out when I was a kid, therefor it holds a place in my heart to this day.

Watching the first part of "IT" scared the hell out of me when I first saw it. It still does and I'm 21 now.

I think carrie was the overall scariest and the best SK horror movie -religious fanatic mother, teenage torture, and of course carrie's revenge.

the second would be Kubricks Shining, and then probably Pet Semetary.

it's ironic that King is known mostly as a horror writer, but his horror movie's are the worst screen adaptations. even his worst non-horror movie is still better than his best horror, IMO.

Well, other than The Stand, I've never seen any of those movies. But I've read the books. :)

The Shining was probably the most scary.
The most stomach-turning was Dreamcatcher (the only King book I would not read again).
The one I enjoyed reading the most was Salem's Lot.
The most unnerving was Pet Sematary (you could imagine someone's mind shearing that thin, and that to me makes it frightening).
My personal favorite was Hearts in Atlantis.

The Shining was awesome, one of my favourites.

However the version that King did himself was hilariously shit.

No doubt. King's work always needs to be reduced a little before attempting to make a film. Too much stuff in his horror novels. Too many things that read as scary but maybe don't translate to film as very scary.

Honestly, Kubrick's version is so great because at some point he didn't pay that much attention to the novel. Well, that and no one from the cast of "Wings" was in the original Shining.

I think King's work outside of the horror genre has been translated into film most successfully. Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption are both very good films. Heck, I would even put Misery and The Stand into this category. Both are solid. And for a TV miniseries, The Stand does a great job (Anytime Matt Frewer of Max Headroomgets some work, I'm cool with it).