• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Sony looking into premium PSN subscription service

Ign has an article about Sony planning a premium version of PSN that will be by paid subscription.They will keep the free PSN along side. Its still in the planning stages but word is that the premium PSN will have exclusive content not available to free users.

I think this can be a great idea but it can be shit too.Sony needs to plan this and get feedback from people and do this right. I would go from the free service to the paid subscription in a heart beat but it has to be worth my money. They gotta make things appetizing for consumers and stay away from making it just another xboxlive or glorified free PSN.

They better not pull the xboxsilver bullshit with this either and decide to take online gaming away from the free PSN and start charging people to play online. That would be bullshit and would piss alot of folks off no doubt.

What I think would be great is to have a BestBuy like reward zone thing going on with the premium PSN.........spend so much money on DLC,full games etc and you get bucks to spend in the PS store. Fucking switch shit up and make it interesting. If you want people to drop something thats free and start paying for it than you better make it worth something.

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
I hope they don't consider making it just another XBL.

I hope they don't consider making it just another XBL.

Yeah I can do without avatar characters and that bullshit,having to pay for new underwear for my avatar dude etc. Fucking waste of effort.......keep it nice and streamlined like it is now so you can navigate fast and just add loads and loads of content. Fuck clothes for a digital dude,I want shit "I" can use.

Thats one thing I hate about xboxlive,it takes forever to get around that thing cause theres 500 blades/menus and sub blades/menus. Its fucking tedious to do a simple thing on live. Could I just ignore the avatar shit if Sony did implement that? Yeah,but thats not what Sony is about.......their theme has always been more mature than Xbox and Nintendo. I dont mean that in an insulting way either,I respect xbox and nintendo for what they do....but I think Sony needs to stay true to what they are.

They will take over no doubt,the price drop and games will take care of this. That said they dont need to impress a different audience to sell more shit with this.

I'm pretty sure that the premium psn will be the only way to play your games online , if you can still play online with the free version no one will pay for the premium. I have xbox live gold just to play online , if I could play online with silver I would not pay for gold.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
I'm pretty sure that the premium psn will be the only way to play your games online , if you can still play online with the free version no one will pay for the premium. I have xbox live gold just to play online , if I could play online with silver I would not pay for gold.

exactly. It'll most likely be just like XBL.

Where did you here this? According to IGN and Kaz Harai who is in charge of Sony's online dept,they had no details what so ever it was in the early planning stages.....are you just predicting that cause it would make sense or????

If you make the PSN premium appetizing enough with content and rewards than I think people would have reason enough to pay for all that even if they keep the free service workable for online play. Thats the thing though,they gotta make it worth the $$$$. If they do indeed start charging for online play than they better wait till PS4 and launch a premium service with the new console. Like I said,they'll piss off lots of people if they start charging for something thats been free the whole time. Especially someone who buys the ps3 and rely's on the fact that the service is free cause of income.....

Where did you here this? According to IGN and Kaz Harai who is in charge of Sony's online dept,they had no details what so ever it was in the early planning stages.....are you just predicting that cause it would make sense or????

If you make the PSN premium appetizing enough with content and rewards than I think people would have reason enough to pay for all that even if they keep the free service workable for online play. Thats the thing though,they gotta make it worth the $$$$. If they do indeed start charging for online play than they better wait till PS4 and launch a premium service with the new console. Like I said,they'll piss off lots of people if they start charging for something thats been free the whole time. Especially someone who buys the ps3 and rely's on the fact that the service is free cause of income.....

I like your idea of waiting until the next system to come out to launch a premium for psn, evan though that won't be for a few years it would be fucked to change something that everyone is already used to and had for the last three years just so they can make a few bucks. Although honesty I would end up paying for it either way because I am used to it, so like you said they better make it good and worth my while.

If they do charge for online play then i think ill stop playing consoles all together. I already pay for my internet provider. I already purchased the console and I already purchase games. I DO NOT want / need / shouldn't have to PAY to PLAY. That is Bullshit.

Legzman

If they do charge for online play then i think ill stop playing consoles all together. I already pay for my internet provider. I already purchased the console and I already purchase games. I DO NOT want / need / shouldn't have to PAY to PLAY. That is Bullshit.

bullshit yes, but having to pay to play is never gonna go away. You'll not give up on consoles, you'll pay and play and bitch about it!

I'm with you on that especially when some games can really only be enjoyed online i.e. Modern Warfare 2. Basically, your paying full price for the game and then paying for the priviledge of being able to play the game online, so they screw you twice.

If sony starts to make us pay to play online im definitely not going to pay for both psn and xbox live , i'm only going to keep xbox live gold because it's much better.

i think it a good idea, if the subscription money is used to improve the online service !! if it's just a way for sony to corn hole us just for the money then no. but like i said if they use the money for a good purpose. it will be a good thing !! But i don't that will happen. personal i think sony sees microsoft charging for online play and want a bit of that action !! for the sack of charging !!

bullshit yes, but having to pay to play is never gonna go away. You'll not give up on consoles, you'll pay and play and bitch about it!

I will not! I'll protest until my arms go numb.

I'm with you on that especially when some games can really only be enjoyed online i.e. Modern Warfare 2. Basically, your paying full price for the game and then paying for the priviledge of being able to play the game online, so they screw you twice.

Yeah exactly, giving a free service and then making you pay for it is a kick in the balls.

Legzman

i think it a good idea, if the subscription money is used to improve the online service !! if it's just a way for sony to corn hole us just for the money then no. but like i said if they use the money for a good purpose. it will be a good thing !! But i don't that will happen. personal i think sony sees microsoft charging for online play and want a bit of that action !! for the sack of charging !!

they see how much microsoft is making of XBL and they want a piece of that pie! A few of you won't play online anymore. Not sony's problem! There are millions who will pay.

they see how much microsoft is making of XBL and they want a piece of that pie! A few of you won't play online anymore. Not sony's problem! There are millions who will pay.

Yes sir, the whole article was themed around Sony wanting to up their revenue in the online dept. Right now they are only getting a cut of DLC sales and than of course 100% of full downloadable games on psn.

freeones_regina

Administrator
Sony has already stated in some interviews (sorry can find dutch versions only) that whatever is free now on PSN will be free still in the feature, even online play.
For PS3 that is, whatever plans they may have for a possible PS4 remains a mystery still ofc :cool:

The premium services will probably be more like extra content, video on demand etc.

Looking at it from their view, it costs money to run servers. Considering what goes into the games/systems/etc, that's not all going to cover running the servers. There IS a logical reason that XBL performed better than PSN for MW2 online play... If you pay for the content [online experience], you pay for the servers to back it up. Think about this LOGICALLY, and calm down.