• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Search bar behaviour: don't prioritise top suggestion over entered text when hitting return key

Hi site coding superheroes,

Small behaviour change request / discussion: when entering text into the search bar, it auto-suggests results based on live search. Which is good. BUT! When you hit enter, it follows the link to the first/top autocomplete search result in the list, and NOT to the user-entered text. The user has to mouse to the search button to avoid the autocomplete text from taking priority. This seems unintuitive compared to, well, basically every other search bar on the internet! Any chance the behaviour could be changed so that hitting enter parses the user's text into the search engine? Conceptually one could just hit the down key to highlight autocomplete suggestions then hit enter, if they want those.

While I'm typing: often an autocomplete search result will say there's >0 results but when you follow the link there are none. Can't find any recent examples annoyingly but can add to this later when it happens again.

Cheers!

freeones_regina

Administrator
Ah, one of my long time annoyances with the search.

We're aware this is how it works but the powers to be decided a long time ago that this is how it should be. :dunno:

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
Just so you have something to look forward to, we're working on a brand new freeones site with a beautiful elastic search and MODERN SE behaviour.

It's still in early stages so I can't give an ETA for beta, but ditching the dinosaur features and behaviour on this site should be something worth looking forward to.