• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Remember Pearl Harbor

You're really being a tad patriotic, Jag. Bold move with this bunch.

Seriously, though 70 years, what a different world we live in today. I'll always be thankful for those who serve my country, both then and now. Thanks for recognizing the day, Jag.

It was that day 70 years ago that gave my redneck grandfather the perfect excuse to channel his bigotry and hatred toward one group of people, "Them damn Japs." It's a shame that these things should happen in the first place.

It was that day 70 years ago that gave my redneck grandfather the perfect excuse to channel his bigotry and hatred toward one group of people, "Them damn Japs." It's a shame that these things should happen in the first place.

This sentiment is still very alive and well. It's shocking to me how much hate is still spouted against the Japanese.

Ashes of Pearl Harbor survivor interred on 70th anniversary of 'day of infamy'

RIP

edit: missing capitals and pics again!

Finally laid to rest with his comrades: Ashes of Pearl Harbor survivor interred on 70th anniversary of 'day of infamy'

* Ceremony to commemorate 2,390 killed in 1941 attack will take place at 8am Hawaii time (6pm GMT)
* One hundred of around 2,700 survivors of attack will attend 70th anniversary memorial
* Pearl Harbor assault shocked America and brought it into World War Two
* Day after Japan launched bombing raid, President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared war, describing it as a 'date which will live in infamy'
* Only two of the 12 ships sunk or beached remain in the harbor today
* Five veterans will be laid to rest in their old ships or their ashes scattered in the harbor during anniversary ceremonies

article-2070918-0F150F3500000578-557_306x423.jpg

hero's rest: The ashes of pearl harbor survivor lee soucy have been interred on the uss utah, his ship that sank during the attack and still rests in pearl harbor

the 70th anniversary of the pearl harbor attack which brought the u.s. Into world war two will take place today - at the exact moment the bombing began.

A large ceremony to remember the 2,390 americans killed in the devastating attack by japan will take place at 8am hawaii time.

Pearl harbor was hit by hundreds of japanese fighters, bombers and torpedo planes launched in two waves from aircraft carriers.

Four of the eight u.s. Navy battleships at the base were sunk in the surprise assault, as well as several cruisers, destroyers and anti-aircraft ships.

The attack shocked the u.s. As japan attempted to prevent the u.s. Pacific fleet from interfering with its plans in southeast asia.

The following day, december 8, the u.s. Declared war on japan after president franklin d. Roosevelt declared the attack 'a date which will live in infamy'.

Previously, the u.s. Had pursued a policy of isolationism and kept out of the war.

But instead of deterring the u.s. From stopping japan's plans to expand its empire, the attack galvanised america behind the war and led, ultimately, to the two atomic bombs dropped on nagasaki and hiroshima in 1945.

Although tensions between japan and the u.s. Had increased and conflict was expected, most thought an attack would come in the philippines rather than in hawaii.

Most of the 12 ships that sank or were beached during the two-hour attack on december 7, 1941, have since been removed from the harbor, their metal hulls salvaged for scrap.

Only the uss utah and the uss arizona remain in the water.

Nearly half of those who died were onboard the battleship uss arizona, which was sunk early in attack by torpedo bombers with the loss of 1,177 of its 1,400 crew.

article-2070918-0F158AF800000578-643_634x781.jpg

memorial: Mr soucy's ceremony is one of five being held this week for servicemen who lived through the assault and want their remains placed in pearl harbor

article-2070918-0F156CCC00000578-704_634x423.jpg

later service: A larger ceremony to remember all those who perished will be held this morning, just before 8 a.m. Hawaii time when the attack began

article-2070918-0F156F8000000578-596_634x423.jpg

pride: Eleven members of mr soucy's family, including his three children, several grandchildren and great-grandchildren, attended the sunset ceremony

article-2070918-0F156F4800000578-500_634x423.jpg

hero: A pharmacist mate, in 1941 mr soucy took care of the sick and wounded for two days straight following the december 7 attack

the uss arizona memorial, built over the remains of the ship, now forms a centrepiece of the world war two valor int he pacific national monument.

Veterans, relatives and dignitaries will bow their heads for a moment of silence at 7.55am local time - the time the attack began - as military jets soar overhead in a 'missing-man' formation.

Guided-missile destroyer uss chung-hoon will render a salute to the fallen crew of the arizona, and more than 100 pearl harbor survivors - many of them in their late 80s - will end the morning service with a 'walk of honor'.

Seven of the last known 18 survivors from uss arizona will be present.

Mal middlesworth, former president of the national pearl harbor survivors' association, estimates there are around 2,700 pearl harbor veterans still alive.

One of them, lou gore, describes being confronted by pandemonium after he rushed on deck as an 18-year-old during the attack.

He was confronted by flames shooting skyward, roiling clouds of dark, acrid smoke and swarms of fighter-bombers buzzing low overhead as he emerged on the deck of the uss phoenix.

He said: 'we didn't know (at first) those were japanese planes. We didn't know what was happening. I just did my job.'

the 88-year-old's vessel was anchored a short distance from a stretch of the harbor known as battleship row, where the arizona was moored when it was hit.

Mr gore said: 'i'll never forget watching the... Uss arizona battleship jumping up out of the water, landing and rolling on its side.

'there were bodies everywhere. Brooms floating in the water, canisters.

'i'm grateful to still be alive. So many lost their lives for no reason... I wish i had been able to save more.'

veterans of the attack have been laid to rest in the wrecks of the ships they once served in or in the waters of the harbor.

This year, five memorials will be held for servicemen who lived through the assault and wanted their remains placed in pearl habor out of pride and affinity for those they left behind.

Among them was lee soucy, 90, whose ashes were taken in a small urn and placed in a porthole of his ship, the uss utah, during a service yesterday.

Mr soucy, the youngest of seven children, was a pharmacist's mate and was trained to care for the sick and wounded.

He had just finished his breakfast on that fated morning when he saw planes dropping bombs on airplane hangars.

article-2070918-0F156D4400000578-989_306x423.jpg

inspired: Mr soucy decided to have part of his ashes buried inside his former battleship after visiting pearl harbor for the 65th anniversary in 2006

article-2070918-0F156EB800000578-494_634x474.jpg

promise: The other half of mr soucy's remains will be laid to rest with his wife, as originally planned, at a church in utah

article-2070918-0F156E4D00000578-418_634x404.jpg

defense: Mr soucy swam to shore during the attack and made a makeshift first aid center to help the wounded and dying as the uss arizona went down

article-2070918-0F15754800000578-69_634x329.jpg

history: The ashes of three other survivors will be scattered in the harbor wednesday morning

he rushed to his battle station after feeling the utah lurch, but soon heard the call to abandon ship as the vessel began sinking.

Mr soucy swam to shore, where he set up a makeshift first aid center to help the wounded and dying and worked straight through for two days.

The utah lost nearly 60 men and around 50 of those are still entombed in the anti-aircraft ship.

Today, the rusting hill of the utah sits on its side next to ford island - not far from where it sank 70 years ago.

Margaret soucy, his daughter, said her parents had initially planned to have their ashes interred together at their church in plainview, texas.

But he changed his mind after visiting pearl harbor in for the 65th anniversary in 2006.

article-2070918-0F14555800000578-527_634x501.jpg

later ceremony: An urn carrying the ashes of vernon olsen, who was among 334 on the arizona to survive, will be interred in a gun turret on the vessel today

article-2070918-0F1513DC00000578-140_634x413.jpg

uss arizona: Seen in 2002, the battleship rests beneath the sea, visible from above and to visitors who come to pay their respects to the 843 who died on the battleship in 1941

article-2070918-0F151D2600000578-934_634x416.jpg

uss utah: The rusting battleship is seen off ford island, lost nearly 60 men, about 50 of whom are still entombed in the sunken battleship

she said: 'he announced that he wanted to be interred on the utah. And my mother looked a little hurt and perplexed.

'and i said, "don't worry daddy, i'll take that part of your ashes that was your mouth and i'll have those interred on the utah".

'and you can then tell those that have preceded you, including those that were entombed, what's been going on in the world.

'and the rest of your remains we will put with mother in the church gardens at st. Mark's.

'and then my sister spoke up and said, "yes, then mother can finally rest in peace,"' she said.

Mr soucy's three children, several grandchildren and great-grandchildren - 11 in total - attended the sunset ceremony yesterday.

article-2070918-0F15252800000578-455_634x435.jpg

remains: All but two of the 12 ships that sank or were beached that day were removed from the harbor, their metal hulls salvaged for scrap

article-2070918-0048966D00000258-703_634x483.jpg

stricken: The uss west virginia battleship burns as it sinks in pearl harbor. Some 2,390 americans were killed in the surprise attack on december 7, 1941

article-2070918-00488FDA00000258-95_634x593.jpg

base: A satellite image showing pearl harbor as it is now. The yellow box shows where the uss arizona memorial is located

article-2070918-0F165BA300000578-784_634x309.jpg

the remains of vernon olsen, who was among the 335 to survive the attack on the arizona, will be interred in a gun turret on the ship this afternoon.

Mr olsen died in april at the age of 91 after a bout of pneumonia.

Pearl harbor internment and ash scattering ceremonies began in the late 1980s, and started growing in number as more survivors heard about them.

To date, 265 survivors of the attack have been buried or laid to rest there.

watch videos here
read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-return-70th-anniversary.html#ixzz1fsa8usri

When I was a little kid in 1966, I learned that the older couple across the street and two houses up had lost their only child during that attack twenty five years earlier. I was but ten years old then, and they were probably in their sixties.

Then, twenty years later I was in the Navy and my ship stopped off at Pearl Harbor on our way to Okinawa. I visited the Memorial. You could still see the smoke stacks of the ship, and every few minutes small globs of oil would come rising to the surface. I found the name of that couple's son on the plaque that was mounted there at the memorial.

I called home to tell my parents that I was in Hawaii. They then told me that older couple had recently died. :crying:

To all those that gave their lives R.I.P.

Also I don't think our British friends get enough credit for the shit they had to deal with well before we became involved in the war. Those air raids over England would have driven me crazy.

Spitfires=Bad ass

This sentiment is still very alive and well. It's shocking to me how much hate is still spouted against the Japanese.

I remember years ago my uncle telling a story about going to the Arizona Memorial. It was the 70's and he was in the Navy, his ship was docked at Pearl so with some down time he had he decided to go visit the Arizona. He said it was very quiet and somber except for a large group of Japanese tourists taking pictures being loud, laughing and having a real good time! Since he was on active duty he couldn't go shut them up!

Also I don't think our British friends get enough credit for the shit they had to deal with well before we became involved in the war. Those air raids over England would have driven me crazy.

Spitfires=Bad ass

But the Hawker Hurricanes is what won the Battle of Britain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, those were bad ass too. I built many models of those airplanes when I was a kid. I also liked the Avro Lancaster bomber.

4 Rolls Royce Merlins making a beautiful symphony! I was lucky enough to see the Lancaster fly while I was living in England, very cool to see!

Spitfires=Bad ass
We're still getting them back for that

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...orld-War-II-bomb-defused-Koblenz-Germany.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...alf-evacuated-Blockbuster-RAF-bomb-Rhine.html

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Amazing they are still finding bombs, even the huge ones like that one!

In the city I live in (Kiel), which used to be the 'Reichskriegshafen' (National War Harbour), we got bombed so massively that there is a part of town where there is a hippy camp, because you can't build anything there, the ground is so thick with grenades and bombs. Only Tents and gipsy carts do not trigger them.

And the part I live in, where the largest dockyard is, there are usually bombs found every once in a while, and it is not uncommon that whole blocks are evacuated.

Back to Pearl Harbour:

Just watched a documentary on History Channel, and learned that Roosevelt was handicapped, and was barely able to walk with metal apparatus on his legs, and he had to rely on Al Capones seized armoured car, because there was a law back then that forbade any government official to buy a car that cost more than 725 dollars. So good luck for him they caught Capone and he could use that one.

And MacArthur was warned that the Pearl Harbour attaack happened and still his planes were sitting out in the open on the runways at the Phillipines army station when the japanese attacked them, wiped out in two minutes.

He even managed to not get the boot afterwards, unlike the two guys who were in charge of Pearl Harbour.

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
As large a tragedy, in my opinion, is that we are quickly losing those who were at the attacks. With their deaths, we are losing a lot of our living history.
My dad lived in Dayton at the time, a few miles from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. He said the amount of activity that went on at the base during the days that followed was something that we cannot imagine today.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Okay, story time. I'll keep it brief.

Normally, after the pledge of allegiance and moment of silence, our principal has a message to relay to students and staff on meaningful days such as this. In the past, he has spoken about Pearl Harbor and the impact it had on our nation. For whatever reason, he chose not to do so today. So at the end of the first two periods today, I made some remarks about Pearl Harbor and its historical significance. I also mentioned that it inspired my grandfather to enlist in the army. I spoke for a few minutes and it went off without a hitch until third period.

As the hour was winding down, I asked anyone if they knew why today was an important day in our nation's history. A few students mentioned Pearl Harbor. I told them that they were correct and I started talking about the subject when a girl impatiently raised her hand. This is her exact quote below, I couldn't even make up this shit. I even put it in the gray box because it was that fucking stunning:

Are Pearl Harbor and the Boston Tea Party the same thing?
Yes, that was her exact question in a classroom of twenty-five sophomore students. I should mention that this girl is not exceptionally bright. But still, I was floored. I think my first response was, "Wait, what?" I explained the difference between the two events, noting that while both occurred in harbors, they were in completely different locations during completely different time periods with completely different ramifications.

I don't even know what to make of this. It's sort of funny, but it's mostly disheartening. Maybe it's a sad take on the future of our country. Whatever. I do know that it made me pause and reflect today.

Shifty

O.G.
I don't know what to say to Andronicus' post - except that the youth of today are seemingly off balance.

Their priorities are so off kilter, and this goes far beyond simply 'marching to the beat of a different drum'. I'm not that old, but I do recall knowing about Pearl Harbor (and being quite interested) as a young person. And I'm not American.

What is it ... mass media influence, the rise of social networking, gaming/Internet culture?

:dunno: