• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Punk Band Suggestions

Hey Freeones dudes.

I have slowely started to listen to some punk but i know practically no good bands so any suggestion would kick ass!

Thanks

Dead Kennedys is the greatest and the only one I like to listen to. :)

I love the Ramones.

Try the clash, the sex pistols, the new york dolls, television, patti smith (gotta love her), talking heads (for a more poppy sound) and Iggy pop of course.

Well, the Clash of course, but it's not really fair to call them punk beyond their first album. If you do like punk though, that album is a must have- "Janie Jones," "Career Opportunities," "I'm So Bored of the U.S.A." etc.

Rancid is awesome. They have one of the best bassists I've ever heard. Just listen to "Maxwell Murder" (Yeah it's where my alias for this board comes from). Also listen to "Sidekick," "Blackhawk Down," and "Brad Logan"

Operation Ivy, if you like a little ska influence to your punk. There is a weird appeal to their stuff since the quality sounds deliberately poor, but I guess that's punk. Song highlights- "Soundsystem" and "Unity"

I love NOFX. They are one of the funniest and one of the musically gifted punk bands around. Listen to "The Idiots are Taking Over," "The Seperation of Church and Skate," and "Don't Call Me White"

Social Distortion is also great. "Ball and Chain," "I Was Wrong," "Cold Feelings." Think the Ramones meet Johnny Cash. They even do a cover of "Ring of Fire"

I love Social Distortion- I'd definitely recommend them, for that "punkabilly" sound! I always liked the Ramones, the Misfits, and of course- the sex pistols.

H

Awesome , just awesome suggestions.

Thanks all , If you got em keep em coming

The Misfits, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Husker Du, Minutemen, Buzzcocks, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, Streetwalking Cheetahs, The Stooges, New York Dolls, Dead Boys, The Jam, X-Ray Spex, Wire, X, Richard Hell, The Adverts, the Germs, The Rezillos, Mummies

For a great informative history of the evolution of punk (from the American end), check out Clinton Heylin's book "From the Velvets to the Voidoids : A Pre-Punk History of a Post-Punk World" or Legs MacNeil's "Please Kill Me : An Oral History", both are excellent reads & trace the birth of punk from the early 70s to the height of the CBGBs/New York scene. A great book for the later history of indie/punk, check out "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by Michael Azerrad, which covers the American scene from Black Flag's debut through to the release of "Nevermind", spotlighting specific bands. For more underground material, Stephen Blushs "American Hardcore" is well-done and very comprehensive.

On the film front, if you can find a copy of Penelope Spheeris' classic documentary "The Decline of Western Civilization" as it contains some amazing performance footage (as well as some dreck, admitedly, but the wheat outweighs the chaff). The recent "Punk - Atitude" is suposed to be good (it's directed by Don Letts, a well-regarded part of the UK punk scene & the director of the Clash's "Westway to the World" film) but I haven't seen it yet - it's in a stack of waiting-to-be-watched films. There's also "Another State of Mind" (featuring Social Distortion) and "The Unheard Music" (featuring X), both of which I can highly recommend.

The Clash, for the love of god, listen to The Clash. Other than that, it's tough to say what punk was, and who knows what the hell it is now. Some say the Talking Heads were punk, others say new-wave (listen to them anyway). I'd recommend DK, Misfits, Iggy and the Stooges, the MC5, Gorilla Biscuits, Op Ivy, The Circle Jerks, The Queers, X, Social D, Black Flag, The Ramones, The Descendents, The Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers, Propaghandhi, Pennywise, The Damned, the Exploited, Crass, The Germs, and The Pixies all ought to give you a decent primer in early punk, hardcore, and the later pop and ska influenced punk.

As far as Op Ivy's stuff sounding poor, it's because it was recorded cheaply by some rather poor musicians (outside of the bass player). I'm not saying that they're a bad band, because the importance of Op Ivy is more because of the influences they brought and the sheer energy they played with. I bought their tape when it first came out and wore it out. In addition, 2 of the members went on to form Rancid.

holycrap said:
As far as Op Ivy's stuff sounding poor, it's because it was recorded cheaply by some rather poor musicians (outside of the bass player). I'm not saying that they're a bad band, because the importance of Op Ivy is more because of the influences they brought and the sheer energy they played with. I bought their tape when it first came out and wore it out. In addition, 2 of the members went on to form Rancid.

Exactly, that's what I mean. I'm just saying that the cheap quality is part of the appeal. That brand of punk wouldn't work if it were too clean.

Also, I'm kicking myself for not mentioning Bad Religion earlier. They're amazing.

Patrick_S

persona non grata
I would just like to add The Saints, one of the most underrated bands of all time. If i should suggest some albums to start with these ones are absolutely essential:

Ramones - Ramones
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
The Misfits - Static Age
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
The Stooges - Fun House, Raw Power
Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F.
MC5 - High Time

Has no-one yet mentioned Quicksand, Fugazi or Rites of Spring? Sheesh.
Anyway, old school punk is good, but the things it protested about aren't necessarily as relevant in today's society.

These bands are clearly heavily influenced by all of the above, but at least their message has some application today:
Hot Snakes (Ex Drive Like Jehu & Rocket From The Crypt members) <-- Both also well worth checking out
At The Drive-In
Million Dead