• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Obama Criticizes The "Free-Riders" Among America's Allies

WASHINGTON — President Obama believes that Saudi Arabia, one of America’s most important allies in the Middle East, needs to learn how to “share” the region with its archenemy, Iran, and that both countries are guilty of fueling proxy wars in Syria, Iraq and Yemen.

In a series of interviews with The Atlantic magazine published Thursday, Mr. Obama said a number of American allies in the Persian Gulf — as well as in Europe — were “free riders,” eager to drag the United States into grinding sectarian conflicts that sometimes had little to do with American interests. He showed little sympathy for the Saudis, who have been threatened by the nuclear deal Mr. Obama reached with Iran.

The Saudis, Mr. Obama told Jeffrey Goldberg, the magazine’s national correspondent, “need to find an effective way to share the neighborhood and institute some sort of cold peace.” Reflexively backing them against Iran, the president said, “would mean that we have to start coming in and using our military power to settle scores. And that would be in the interest neither of the United States nor of the Middle East.”

Mr. Obama’s frustration with much of the Arab world is not new, but rarely has he been so blunt about it. He placed his comments in the context of his broader struggle to extract the United States from the bloody morass of the Middle East so that the nation can focus on more promising, faster-growing parts of the world, like Asia and Latin America.

“If we’re not talking to them,” he said, referring to young people in those places, “because the only thing we’re doing is figuring out how to destroy or cordon off or control the malicious, nihilistic, violent parts of humanity, then we’re missing the boat.”

Mr. Obama also said his support of the NATO military intervention in Libya had been a “mistake,” driven in part by his erroneous belief that Britain and France would bear more of the burden of the operation. He stoutly defended his refusal not to enforce his own red line against Syria’s president, Bashar al-Assad, even though Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. argued internally, the magazine reported, that “big nations don’t bluff.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/10/w...es-the-free-riders-among-americas-allies.html

He's completely right on the free-riders but he's got to keep that criticism in house. Don't air your dirty laundry out in public

Mr. Obama also said his support of the NATO military intervention in Libya had been a “mistake,” driven in part by his erroneous belief that Britain and France would bear more of the burden of the operation. He stoutly defended his refusal not to enforce his own red line against Syria’s president, Bashar al-Assad, even though Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. argued internally, the magazine reported, that “big nations don’t bluff.”

Your community organizer at work, folks.

Oh yeah, and cause he's black.

There he goes again. Scolding people.
We exchanged one president who thought America was the world's policeman for one that thinks America is the world's referee.

There he goes again. Scolding people.

And yet, in regards to the "free riders", they're people most conservatives have wanted him to get tougher with.
Obama haters are pretty amusing. No matter what he says/does they find some way to make it wrong - even if they were for it before they were against it :)
Be sad to see him go. Not only because I respect him, but because this pavlovian bi-polarism has been endlessly entertaining :)

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
The Saudis don't do nearly enough battling against Sunni Jihadis nor take in their share of displaced refugees. We as America even cover for them in their involvement in 9/11. Saudi Arabia may be buddies to the American gov't but they seem more like an enemy to the American people. I'd feel safer walking around with a Bible in Tehran than Riyadh also.

Speaking of freeloaders how many billions are we giving to that welfare queen Israel? That money could be used better taking care of veterans or other Americans. We're a pack of suckers that can be shamed out of every nickel in our pocket though. Maybe Trump has plans to put an end to this foolishness since he doesn't answer to the Israelis anymore than to the Arabs, Persians, or Turks.

3.1 billion per annum to Israel.
In addition to the $3.1 billion in FY2015 funding, the Obama Administration also requested $96.8 million for joint US-Israeli programs and $175.9 million for Iron Dome, Israel’s short-range anti-rocket system.
But as we all know, Obama HATES Israel, right? ;)

We never could be fully involved in Syria because the the presence of the Russians.
You may want a nuclear exchange but I for one do not and Putin is just a nut case.

That is like saying we couldn't avoid a car accident because we didn't step on the breaks.

Obama had drawn a red line with Syria. Assad called him on it and Obama wussed out. He words are meaningless and his threats are idle.

That is why Russia are in Syria.

Had we been proactive.Russia would not even be there.

That is like saying we couldn't avoid a car accident because we didn't step on the breaks.

Obama had drawn a red line with Syria. Assad called him on it and Obama wussed out. He words are meaningless and his threats are idle.

That is why Russia are in Syria.

Had we been proactive.Russia would not even be there.

Your either uninformed or blind Russia was always in there Russia was always the elephant in the room Assad knew this Obama knew this apperantly you didn't know this.
Not unlike Iran/North Korea being protected by China Syria is one of Russia's favorite children and you don't spank other peoples children.

Your either uninformed or blind Russia was always in there Russia was always the elephant in the room Assad knew this Obama knew this apperantly you didn't know this.
Not unlike Iran/North Korea being protected by China Syria is one of Russia's favorite children and you don't spank other peoples children.

You must be some form of retarded.

Russia were allies with Assad. But they did not always have a presence in Syria. They wouldn't get within a country mile of Syria when we were deployed in the Middle East.

Mixing alcohol and pills again are ya?

You must be some form of retarded.

Russia were allies with Assad. But they did not always have a presence in Syria. They wouldn't get within a country mile of Syria when we were deployed in the Middle East.

Mixing alcohol and pills again are ya?

Don't do any chemicals beyond ibuprofen and the occasional micro-brew as I live in the beer Capitol of the world.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Speaking of freeloaders how many billions are we giving to that welfare queen Israel? That money could be used better taking care of veterans or other Americans. We're a pack of suckers that can be shamed out of every nickel in our pocket though. Maybe Trump has plans to put an end to this foolishness since he doesn't answer to the Israelis anymore than to the Arabs, Persians, or Turks.

Donnie Boy couldn't, even if he wanted to... which he doesn't (Donald J. Trump: "First of all, there’s nobody on this stage that’s more pro Israel than I am."). But even if he did, the Cranston Amendment would stand in his way. Social Security and Medicare may suffer cuts at some point (programs which Americans have paid into). But aid to Israel is THE (true) third rail of American politics:

"It is the policy and the intention of the United States that the funds provided in annual appropriations for Economic Support Funds which are allocated to Israel shall not be less than the amount debt repayments (interest and principal) from Israel to the United States Government in recognition that such principle serves United States interests in the region."

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
Donnie Boy couldn't, even if he wanted to... which he doesn't (Donald J. Trump: "First of all, there’s nobody on this stage that’s more pro Israel than I am."). But even if he did, the Cranston Amendment would stand in his way. Social Security and Medicare may suffer cuts at some point (programs which Americans have paid into). But aid to Israel is THE (true) third rail of American politics:

"It is the policy and the intention of the United States that the funds provided in annual appropriations for Economic Support Funds which are allocated to Israel shall not be less than the amount debt repayments (interest and principal) from Israel to the United States Government in recognition that such principle serves United States interests in the region."

Fiddlesticks and double fiddlesticks! I was afraid you were going to say that. I guess you gotta look on the bright side. At least we didn't sign over one of our kidneys or a pint of blood each to them (or is that somewhere in the amendment as well?).

I was under the impression that making America great might be putting America first.

There is a lot of complaining by some around here as if Democrats and Republicans aren't working together.

They are even if it is by Republicans acquiescing to Democrats and this administration. Two conservatives. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are taken to the woodshed by Republicans for getting uppity and they are never successful in getting their initiatives through.

The house Freedom Caucus are a minority and they aren't successful in forwarding their agenda. Sounds like those that are bitching and moaning about one side being obstructionists and too ideologically driven are complaining to hear themselves complain. Government is working pretty good at not doing anything. Now isn't that what you really want?

Nah, you just want to complain about how arch conservatives are fucking everything up when they aren't getting a chance do anything of the sort.