• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Nintendo Switch Lite worth getting?

I sold my Nintendo Switch about 6 months ago but now I feel like playing it again (I know it's stupid to sell it and buy it again). If I buy it again I will definitely keep it this time but is it worth buying? It's cheaper but it's handheld only which I don't mind. I like the variety of colors and turquoise really caught my attention. Any of you have the Lite version? How is it?

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Depends on what you are gonna use it for.
Installing custom firmware on it so you can play any downloaded games? You'll need a switch classic.
Battery life? Switch classic < Switch Lite < New Switch
Screen is a bit smaller, but it feels like a true 'pocket system' with the smaller size. Original switch always felt like a tablet with benefits, to me. FIne, but.. just a heavy controller, of sorts.
(The DS/3DS feels like that, too. Fine to hold with both hands, but weight-fatigue sets in when trying to solo-hand it.)

New plastic feels better, IMO. I wouldnt trust it to survive a 6 foot drop or anything, but it feels just the tiniest bit less flimsy than that 'tablet plastic' that the original has.

On a sidenote, funny. "I know its stupid to sell and buy it again" and your name is yoyo. heh heh ;)

Depends on what you are gonna use it for.
Installing custom firmware on it so you can play any downloaded games? You'll need a switch classic.
Battery life? Switch classic < Switch Lite < New Switch
Screen is a bit smaller, but it feels like a true 'pocket system' with the smaller size. Original switch always felt like a tablet with benefits, to me. FIne, but.. just a heavy controller, of sorts.
(The DS/3DS feels like that, too. Fine to hold with both hands, but weight-fatigue sets in when trying to solo-hand it.)

New plastic feels better, IMO. I wouldnt trust it to survive a 6 foot drop or anything, but it feels just the tiniest bit less flimsy than that 'tablet plastic' that the original has.

On a sidenote, funny. "I know its stupid to sell and buy it again" and your name is yoyo. heh heh ;)

Thanks for the input. I have decided to give it another go. I already started saving up to buy the Switch Lite. Been wanting to play Pokemon Sword/Shield!

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
I borrowed a friend's for a few days. I will say, I did not find it comfortable for my hands. The right joystick is in the way, and the button placement gives me cramps. You can prolly get used to it, but I definitely know I am passing. I wonder if the placement and feel is the same on the real deal. If so, I might have to skip this console as a whole. That would pretty shitty. I love Nintendo, but that was not pleasurable.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
I borrowed a friend's for a few days. I will say, I did not find it comfortable for my hands. The right joystick is in the way, and the button placement gives me cramps. You can prolly get used to it, but I definitely know I am passing. I wonder if the placement and feel is the same on the real deal. If so, I might have to skip this console as a whole. That would pretty shitty. I love Nintendo, but that was not pleasurable.

It DOES seem to be an issue with their consoles. I think only the SNES and gamecube really felt 'right' in-hand. NES was blocky-TINY-not sharp, but felt sharp after long playing sessions, 64 was.. awkward and too small for adult hands AND OMG that plastic joystick...
Wii was craptastic, my 3ds's D-pad is just low enough to feel like.. your hand is 'sitting on the edge of the seat' but in a weighty-handheld way, like you felt.
Doesnt change how popular it is, but whatevs. I'd much rather like a lightweight system. :)

You can always use their other controllers. But.. why spend so much for comfort, ya know

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
It DOES seem to be an issue with their consoles. I think only the SNES and gamecube really felt 'right' in-hand. NES was block, 64 was.. awkward and too small for adult hands AND OMG that plastic joystick...
Wii was craptastic, my 3ds's D-pad is just low enough to feel like.. your hand is 'sitting on the edge of the seat' but in a weighty-handheld way, like you felt.
Doesnt change how popular it is, but whatevs. I'd much rather like a lightweight system. :)

SNES controller is always my favourite. Gamecube's is close to a tie maybe. Its a great controller. NES and 64 never bothered me, although the C buttons on the 64 were a little weird to me. Wii U I didn't mind either, and 3DS is so-so. I can deal. Switch Lite.. that just wasn't comfortable at all. But that's me.

Is it the same exact size and layout as regular Switch? I'm so curious.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Nah, a few ounces and a few inches less. Not so much that you'd notice, negatively. Like the screen is more edge-to-edge, but less screen is still less screen.
I know its missing a few other things, too.. I think the vibration motors and a gyroscope? So laying those steering wheel games is joystick-only, but I could be wrong.
I like the price point of 100$ less, but.. I mean.. I'm all about the hacking-it part. I really dont buy any games without trying them, first. And blockbusters dont exist, sooo....

Oh and the arrow button.. C-buttons type thing is replaced by a D pad. Thats actually kind of a mixed bag, cuz the D pad is smaller.
I know the system is for kids, but the compromise feels like my 3ds's d pad location.

Too compromised, like ya said.

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
Nah, a few ounces and a few inches less. Not so much that you'd notice, negatively. Like the screen is more edge-to-edge, but less screen is still less screen.
I know its missing a few other things, too.. I think the vibration motors and a gyroscope? So laying those steering wheel games is joystick-only, but I could be wrong.
I like the price point of 100$ less, but.. I mean.. I'm all about the hacking-it part. I really dont buy any games without trying them, first. And blockbusters dont exist, sooo....

Oh and the arrow button.. C-buttons type thing is replaced by a D pad. Thats actually kind of a mixed bag, cuz the D pad is smaller.
I know the system is for kids, but the compromise feels like my 3ds's d pad location.

Too compromised, like ya said.

Yeah, maybe I'll rent one or something and see. I'm not in a rush, its been 3 years today the Switch has been out.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Yeah. Doesnt stop your local retailer from selling even the used ones at ridiculous prices, tho. ;)

If I.. who am I kidding, WHEN I get a switch, I got my eye on ark survival evolved and rune factory 4 deluxe.
Among a couple other franchises that'll be out by the time I get up enough scratch to 'waste' on a new console.

I really got a love/hate thing going with my 3ds and the games. I love it, but its kind of a one trick pony. So many damned weeaboo RPG games.
No driving, no fighters, no sports, no 3d movie support.. but it has its moments. *shrug* I've regretted purchasing a ps4, but not a switch.
(That vr stuff was pretty sweet, tho)

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
So many damned weeaboo RPG games.

Yeah, every damn RPG is a Kemco game. I haven't bothered looking in the shop for ages now. I'm over the whole anime RPG thing. I want my turn based RPGs, and I would love some good ones on the 3DS, but it seems everything I look at is some throw together Kemco trash. They pump em out like crazy. This is the byproduct of shitty mobile gaming. Blah.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Didja hack yours or are you doing the legit thing?

If you're going to buy new, wait until later in the year when the new systems come out.

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
Didja hack yours or are you doing the legit thing?

What? My 3DS? No, I never even bothered looking into doing so. I just buy my stuff, gives me a warm funny feeling inside. I don't have a large collection, but hey.

What? My 3DS? No, I never even bothered looking into doing so. I just buy my stuff, gives me a warm funny feeling inside. I don't have a large collection, but hey.
Same here. It would be too much work every "stability update" to update a hack, and you need the official updates to access badge arcade & the eshop (I think any online function).

Once they discontinue updates though....

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
3ds is dead. Long live the 3ds.
Anyone else just kinda keep theirs around? Like when you need 5 minutes of gaming, there it is on the nightstand. No playstation, no xbox, and especially no smartphone. Just that wee 3ds and a few choice games.