• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NFL Lockout "Likely" Says NFLPA Rep. Matt Birk

Matt Birk is one of three players union representatives for the Baltimore Ravens, and he'll attend important union meetings next month in Marco Island, Fla.

The chances of an NFL lockout when the league's labor agreement expires on March 3?

"I'd bet everything I had on it," Birk said.

Birk, who played in six Pro Bowls while playing center for the Vikings, is back in town following a family vacation in Mexico after the Ravens' season ended with a playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Although he's certain that NFL players will be locked out by owners when the league's labor deal expires at midnight, he said he doesn't expect new contract talks to become critical until August or September.

"I'm sure that won't happen until the deadline for the season approaches," Birk said. "Unfortunately, that's how big business gets done."

The Harvard-educated football player from St. Paul has played two seasons of his $12 million, three-year contract with Baltimore and plans to return next season. Birk, 34, who has played 13 years in the NFL, would seem a perfect choice to head the players union.

"I don't think so," he said. "I'm a pretty simple guy. I'm not looking for more frustration in my life. And this is kind of frustrating.

"You're talking about the business of the NFL. Everybody's making money; things are great. To have this lockout and have to renegotiate a CBA. ... I don't want to say there's dirty tactics, but some of the things that have to go

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on to continue playing and reach an agreement just seem unnecessary to me."
NFL players will have their health insurance canceled if there's no new labor deal by March 3.

"It seems like there's a better way to go at it than to lock the players out, cancel our health insurance, all these things," Birk said. "Especially with players' careers being as short as they are and as fragile as they are. This is something guys have worked for their whole lives, to get an opportunity to play in the NFL. And worst-case scenario, if we miss a season of football, that's just shameful."

Still, in the end, Birk doesn't think it will come to that.

"I think common sense will prevail in the end, an agreement will be reached, and I don't believe any games will be missed next season," he said. "But it's all about the money. Money drives a lot of things, and it drives football. I just feel it's too bad."

Birk said the NFL's current labor deal includes essentially a 50-50 revenue split between owners and players.

"Somebody will try to tell you it's 60-40 for the players, but it's not," he said. "We're partners in this deal, and it's 50-50. Maybe I'm a little too simple-minded, but 50-50 seems like a fair deal.

"You're talking about $9 billion, $10 billion a year right now that the sport is generating. That should be enough to go around."

And I hope they do. Every other league has went through this and exposed the greed these people - owners and players alike - harbor.

From what I've heard and read there are 3 things that piss me off.

1- The pension plan needs improvement. Not all football players make millions of dollars and some have not made a million if you calculate their whole career. But they were still players and need better security.

2- How much money do owners and players need? Can't they just agree on how to split up the revenue sharing once and for all? This always comes up in every labor negotiation.

3- 18 game schedule is bullshit. Adding 2 games will not solve anything except 'how can we get more money?' when that wasn't even a question to begin with. There are so many more cons than pros into an 18 game schedule.

My feeling on this is that there will be a lockout. I'm seeing wayyy too much greed on both sides.

Lock them out I say my good man! Lock them out! My chickens tried to pull that crap to get an extra serving of feed and I locked their feathered little asses out! Good enough for my chickens, good enough for some overgrown Neanderthals!

Actually, in the case of my chickens, I lopped off their heads! But, that is a story for another day!

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Have to take sides with you guys. Recession hits and you don't want to give your share? Please lock them out.

And this might be a chance for another episode of 'The Replacements' :clap:

Have to take sides with you guys. Recession hits and you don't want to give your share? Please lock them out.

And this might be a chance for another episode of 'The Replacements' :clap:

Exactly! They played with "scabs" back in '87 AND with each game, more and more regulars crossed the picket line, and the nflpa caved like a West Virginia coal mine!

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Snore. I'm like a lot of other people and don't watch until the playoffs anyway.