• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

New Teams for baseball

New teams in which states?

• San Antonio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nashville

• Memphis

• South Carolina

• Rhode Island

• Arkansas

• Iowa

• Idaho

• North Dakota

• South Dakota

• Maine

• Utah

• Kentucky

• Total voters

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
MLB Expansion: Baseball Discussions to Add Two More Teams

MLB reports: When looking at the current state of baseball, some very important changes are on the horizon. MLB reports tackled in the past weeks the topics of MLB realignment, the future of the DH and expanding and changing the playoffs (click on links to view these posts). Whether you are a traditionalist or modern thinker, we can all agree that revisions to the baseball system are coming. To compliment many of the new developments that are coming, we have one last topic that we need to cover. This is a biggie so hold on to your hats: MLB Expansion. Major League Baseball, as slow as it is to adapt, has come to the time that it must acknowledge that the American League and National League need a balanced amount of teams. When contraction didn’t work (Minnesota stayed and Montreal moved to Washington), we were left with thirty MLB teams. To fix the discrepancy, we need sixteen teams per league. As a result, get ready for Major League Baseball to expand to two new cities.

Before anyone stars howling, let me insert a disclaimer. There is no available information yet confirming that MLB will expand. But from all the signs of the state of the game, it appears that expansion is on the horizon. It must be. Expansion will lead to balanced leagues, which will be a must in the addition of more wild card teams. In 1993, MLB added the Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins. In 1998, the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays and Arizona Diamondbacks joined the mix. Since then, we have gone thirteen years without expansion. Baseball popularity is at an all time high, with the economy slowly starting to rebound. The demand and money are there and anytime the MLB owners can fill their wallets, they will take it. Expansion fees back in 1998 were $130 million. To contrast, the Texas Rangers sold last August for $593 million. Let’s ballpark it and say that each new expansion team could easily bring in $250 million each. That would be $500 million available to be shared by the existing 30 MLB owners. That is a minimum of $16 million per team and even that amount is conservative. Realistically, we could see $25-$30 million per team as the bonus. Money talks and the lure of the big payday will be too much for MLB owners to pass up much longer. By having a balanced schedule, leading to realignment and more wild card teams, together with the revenues that are generated, both teams and players should be happy. It is a win-win for all.

The biggest argument that I have heard against MLB expansion is the dilution of talent. There is a thin amount of pitching to go around as it is, and by adding more teams to the mix, the talent levels will supposedly be at an all-time low. I don’t buy it. Take a look at AA and AAA and how many major league ready players are wasting away due to a lack of opportunity. Some are there for financial considerations, by teams wishing to delay their arbitration and free agency years. I acknowledge that. But there is so much talent at those levels alone that an expansion draft could stock two competitive MLB teams. I truly believe that. Then we should take into account the globalization of the sport. The 2013 World Baseball Classic will feature twelve new countries into the mix. By creating and furthering the interest in baseball around the world, including Great Britain, Germany, France etc., Major League Baseball will create a deeper pool of talent as a result. It will take time and the benefits of adding more countries to the WBC in expanding the players that are generated may not be felt for a decade or longer. But baseball needs to think long-term, not short. Even if there is a dilution of the quality of players for a brief time, it is not unreasonable to think that the world as a whole with its population could stock 32 MLB teams. It currently stocks 30 teams quite well and the problem, if any, is that in the future we will actually have more quality players than available teams to play for.

The main benefit of expansion is the created interested in Major League Baseball in more cities and the added rivalries and intrigue to the game itself. There are baseball hungry fans in many cities that are denied the privilege of watching MLB games live, due to lack of proximity. Adding MLB teams will create more fans in the new cities and surrounding areas. Merchandising sales will increase, jobs will be added and economies will benefit in those cities. As long as each new team has a solid economic plan in creating a business model for itself, from the ballpark to the day-to-day operation of the team, new MLB teams will be cash cows and not drains on their respective cities. There is a reason why cities and potential owners campaign to be awarded a Major League Baseball team. Baseball is a lucrative business. By understanding why expansion is necessary and beneficial, it is time to jump into the candidates.

From everything that I have read and people that I have spoken with, the following is a list of ten potential MLB expansion destinations. From these ten cities, two may end up being the lucky winners. I have included a brief commentary beside each candidate for reference:

1) Las Vegas: There is money in Vegas and demand for the sport. The biggest hindrances are the gambling and economic issues for the area. I think Las Vegas should get a team and baseball may feel the same way.

2) Portland: One of the largest cities without a team, this would be a safe bet for Major League Baseball. This city has been thrown around in almost every discussion on expansion. This one will likely happen.

3) San Antonio: Similar to Portland, but there are already two teams based in Texas. If any area will get three MLB teams, it is New York (see Brooklyn discussion).

4) Sacramento: Is the California market getting saturated? With Oakland having issues and looking to a move to San Jose, there may be alarm bells that hinder Sacramento. There is also a chance the city will lose its NBA team which does not help from an image standpoint.

5) Orlando: More teams to Florida? The Rays aren’t exactly busting at the gate and the Marlins are moving to Miami next year. I could see the Rays moving if they do not get a new stadium, so expansion will likely be held off here for now.

6) Nashville/Memphis: Both are great cities but with other viable markets available, Nashville/Memphis are a long-shot.

7) Mexico City: This is the sexy pick if Major League Baseball truly wants to become international. The travel logistics could make this one very difficult. For a sport that is slow to evolve, this is too much change, too soon.

8) Vancouver or Montreal: Stop snickering as this could happen. Ok, not Montreal, but Vancouver is a possibility. After the loss of the Expos, I cannot see baseball ever going back to Quebec. Then when we account for the fact that Vancouver lost its NBA team, baseball may be scared off from these areas as being non-viable. The Toronto Blue Jays sit middle-in-the-pack for attendance and I think MLB is satisfied with one Canadian squad. Happy Canada Day to all the Canucks reading this article and enjoy the Jays this weekend. But as far as more Canadian teams in baseball, I am sorry but I do not see it happening. Ever.

9) Brooklyn: The talk of the Nets coming to Brooklyn soon has sparked renewed interest in the area for baseball. The Brooklyn Dodgers will never come back to existence, but a new expansion team might. Given baseball’s rich history and love of everything retro, I really like this selection. Don’t discount the power of New York, as it is one of the central hubs of sport. I only give this one a 25% chance of happening, but a very solid 25.

10) New Orleans: A feel-good pick, given the tragedy suffered by the city. But on an economic and rational basis, it is difficult to envision bringing a new baseball team coming to a rebuilding area that still is suffering major financial issues.

Article

I would rather keep baseball teams in America and Canada.

Which states should have a team?

Montreal Expos

Rhode Island Reds

Maine Lobsters

Kentucky Thoroughbreds

North and South Carolina

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Montreal. I don't know of another city on that list that would have the interest for baseball.

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
Mexico City.

But what kind of stupid fucking idea would it be to call the Rhode Island team the Reds? I think that name is already taken.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
First off, any fans in the Carolinas (North Carolina and South Carolina) as well as in North Georgia, Tennesee, Alabama, the panhandle of Florida, and lastly in Arkansas all have minor league baseball teams in several leagues as a homebase and the Atlanta Braves as a home team. They drive two hundred to four hunded miles to come and see the Braves. Unfortunately, the Braves never sell out during the playoffs.

As for other places, Portland Oregon as well as Las Vegas Nevada, have always been discussed as possible cities to land MLB clubs, however both are in the Pacific Coast League.

Do they really want to expand? ... As that is really kind of stupid. Because the quality of baseball players will be diminished greatly. Who wants to have a Triple A or Double A player pitching to major league hitters. The same goes for Triple A and Double A batters facing MLB pitchers... the talent will be watered down.

Look at how bad these teams were when they came into the league: the New York Mets (in 1962); the Oakland A's (in 1968, an original team); the Washington Senators (in 1960, another original team) the Montreal Expos and Kansas City Royals (in 1969), the Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays (in 1976); the Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins (in 1993) and lastly, the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays and Arizona Diamondbacks (in 1998) and Washington Nationals (in 2008) .. Terrible teams with no talent whatsover.

jinxypie

Official Checked Star Member
... Charlotte

I'd like to see that. :)

First off, any fans in the Carolinas (North Carolina and South Carolina) as well as in North Georgia, Tennesee, Alabama, the panhandle of Florida, and lastly in Arkansas all have minor league baseball teams in several leagues as a homebase and the Atlanta Braves as a home team. They drive two hundred to four hunded miles to come and see the Braves. Unfortunately, the Braves never sell out during the playoffs.

I've driven the 4 hours to Turner Field (waaaaay back in 1994) to watch the Braves play my Cubbies. If I were able to travel less time, I'd go to more games!
Seriously though, I think that North Carolina could use a team. Charlotte is a perfect place, and fully supports professional sports (NFL, NBA, NASCAR). Yes, there are a TON of minor league teams in NC, but the games just don't have the same feel.

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
Click the link. It's not the same thing.

I clicked on the link, and though the reasoning for the name might be different, the name is the same. It would be like the Athletics to start calling themselves the Yankees because they continually yanked victory from the mouths of defeat.

ban-one

Works for panties
MLB expansion is a stupid idea. There's already not enough talent to go around, as proven by the fact that several teams end the year with losing records, more end the year average, and only the same few teams get anywhere near 90-100 wins. More teams will just mean more teams that can't win, and fans don't go to watch losing teams, and then MLB winds up supporting them or moving them. Case in point, Montreal. If anything, there are too many teams. Drop a few so there are only 5 in each division, and watch everyone become more competitive. Also, it'll make the teams cheaper to run, due to the supply and demand. Right now, there's more demand than supply, so good players get big payouts that only the few upper teams can afford. But if there are fewer teams, demand drops, supply stays the same, and the price players can command goes down. This means even smaller market teams can get big names.

Oddly, you'll know when MLB needs to expand when all the teams end the year with records close to .500. That means they were all competitive and there's enough talent to go around.

Deinitely Montreal. The Expos suffered from terrible ownership, and that city deserves to have a team again. Besides them, I always think it's not right that Brooklyn no longer has a team. It isn't fair to force people to be Mets fans :)

There is a big ass 14 page thread on CD about speculation of the Rays moving to Oklahoma city. With all the baseball in FL - all the minor league, college, and spring training teams playing there - I think this would be a viable option.

Plus OKC is really supporting the Thunder and lacks another pro franchise.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Montreal had their shot and blew it. Florida has enough baseball not being supported. Portland doesn't look so good. If Seattle can't get their shit together I don't see Portland doing any better. I don't see much interest in baseball in Las Vegas. It's a retirement village and their economy is down. Charlotte and Indianapolis may be the better choices. Let's face it, this expansion is just to feed the present owners wallets. I couldn't give a rat's ass how the leagues or divisions are balanced or aligned.

I don't think MLB should expand; the talent pool is so diluted now. Have you ever been to Las Vegas in the summer? 100F+ at night and I don't think Vegas would build a domed stadium. Many of the mentioned expansion cities are too close to established fan basis. I live in Phoenix; if the Dbacks don't have a GENUINE contender, there are more fans for the Dodgers, Giants and Cubs than the Dbacks when those opponents are in town.