• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Jimi Hendrix - 40 years later.

It was 40 years ago today, when the (arguably) greatest guitarist in the world, and perhaps the greatest raw musician in the world, was found dead in a London flat.

I felt like doing this tribute thread for him.

As many reading this, I wasn't alive to get to see him perform live and in person (and that pisses me off), but I remember the first time I sat down and REALLY listened to him, about 13, 14 years ago. I heard a couple songs before then, but on that particular summer day, while sitting in a parked car with a few friends, passing a couple fat j's around, with the summer sun setting on the horizon, my friend had the cd "Jimi Hendrix: The Ultimate Experience" playing on high volume.
I'm not a guitarist, I'm a drummer, and I was impressed by Mitch Mitchell's wild drum technique, drum fills, etc. (listen to Manic Depression) - but there was something about the sound of the 3 as a whole, and yes of course Jimi most of all. I'm sure guitarists have an even higher appreciation for his playing, but even just as a music fan...wow.
He found yet more dimension when he ditched The Experience and formed Band of Gypsies.

It's unbelievable. The dude didn't know how to read music. He couldn't talk to you about notes, measures, technicalities.
Most people who CAN do those things could still never do half of what he did. They don't have the creativity. And Jimi probably did it first anyway.

Ok, this has become a bit long-winded, so...

Check out this article on Jimi Hendrix.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/09/17/15387521.html

Loved Jimi's Band of Gypsies day(s) and the solo for "Machine Gun" is unrivaled.

Jimi's genius (and legacy) had more to do with his understanding of RHYTHM than his "lead" solo pieces - this is why many of the protege guitar legends of the 80s failed (except for SRV)

Loved Jimi's Band of Gypsies day(s) and the solo for "Machine Gun" is unrivaled.

Jimi's genius (and legacy) had more to do with his understanding of RHYTHM than his "lead" solo pieces - this is why many of the protege guitar legends of the 80s failed (except for SRV)

I happen to be listening to that song, and that solo right now.
I agree completely, including about SRV.

If you think it sounded great after smoking a big joint, drop a tab purple haze LSD and you will notice sounds you never heard before. Are You Experienced?

If you think it sounded great after smoking a big joint, drop a tab purple haze LSD and you will notice sounds you never heard before. Are You Experienced?

No, but I imagine hearing "Third Stone From the Sun" would really feel like I'm in space...or perhaps that space is inside of me...

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
It was 40 years ago today, when the (arguably) greatest guitarist in the world, and perhaps the greatest raw musician in the world, was found dead in a London flat.

"Arguably" my ass; he WAS...and IS the greatest ever......

The only one who even came remotely close was Duane...

...and PLEASE don't try to put Stevie Ray Vaughn in the same class.....

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Hendrix, Allman and Clapton are the three Gods of guitar. :bowdown:

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I have been remembering Hendrix since a few days. Read an article on the 40th years that have passed since he sadly died so early.

He was very arguably one of the greatest, and probably THE most influental guitarist in a long time - well we can never know who may come in the future - and I been under the influence for ages ;)

Still I would not say he is one of the best musicians there have been. He has a way of overpowering the people he played with which I find being a bit out-of-control.

As his playing was really kind of being in a state of a continuing orgasmic fit, well, it must be hard to be both in AND out of control at the same time. Very few people could even come close to that, no wonder he had a hard time finding them and I think he was eager to tap further into that state of being, and that is why he played with all that substances that promised him new worlds and new stages of consciousness.

Sadly, there is only so much a mind can take, and the body very often gets lost on the way to the gates of perception.

But I believe that some souls are just shining a brighter, more intense light than others, and they burn themselves up while doing this. He left us a lot to cherish and to learn, and if there is some kind of heaven, he must be very happy for his legacy.

He died too young. There were so many great things ahead of him. He could have had a cameo in the Cosby Show or record a duet with Robbie Williams. :crying:

The only one who even came remotely close was Duane...

...and PLEASE don't try to put Stevie Ray Vaughn in the same class.....

Duane is the man and no one comes close to his slide, but c'mon....

Wes Montgomery?
Django Rheinhart?
Pat Metheney?

The 'guitar mastery' is shit when you're relegating the craft to just "rock n roll" (as enjoyable as it is) which is a sloppier version of the pentatonic 12-bar blues