• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Is the U.S. all that bad?

US has it strenghts and its drawbacks. Have been there 9 times and liked it, you have to be very independant, hardworking and very strong willed to succeed. It is also a very individualistic country where everyone must rely on him/herself, this is not for everyone.

I agree, this is a good summation.

Have been to Europe three times and loved it. The cultures there are amazing to encounter. Being surrounded by so many different countries and types of people really would have to force one to learn a lot about them. You can't be insular in Europe, it's just about impossible.

I think it's a little much to say that Hu Jintao is the most powerful man on the planet. That is a mere magazine article that is trying to rile people up. The plain fact of the matter is, the president of the US is the most powerful man on earth. Why?

The US economy, despite it's recent falter, remains the most powerful economy on the planet. GDP of the US is larger than the next three largest economies combined.

Of large countries, those with more than 50 million people, the US has the greatest GDP per capita.

The US military is easily the most powerful on earth and is the only military with a global reach.

The US has the greatest number of allied nations in the world.

The actions of the US affect more people on this planet than any other.

I'm not trying to be an ugly American, but it's disingenuous to claim that Hu Jintao is more powerful than the POTUS. That's like saying that Steve Jobs is more powerful than Bill Gates.

Who do you think popularized the most powerful man in the world lists? Forbes. They're the ones saying Hu Jintao is the most powerful man in the world.

The actions of the US affect more people on this planet than any other.

This can also be a problem if these actions are deemed unethical, immoral or illegal. Countries like Iran and North Korea are run by idiots but because their foreign policies have little impact on other countries and their citizens most people are just not bothered by them whereas when the US makes a foreign policy choice a lot of people around the world feel it. Just one minor example is the Diego Garcia military base:

http://www.chagossupport.org.uk/

This can also be a problem if these actions are deemed unethical, immoral or illegal. Countries like Iran and North Korea are run by idiots but because their foreign policies have little impact on other countries and their citizens most people are just not bothered by them whereas when the US makes a foreign policy choice a lot of people around the world feel it. Just one minor example is the Diego Garcia military base:

http://www.chagossupport.org.uk/

That's also assuming that other people know what the hell they are talking about. I remember quite a lot of Irish people "rubbishing" the United States a few years ago, even though their arguments fell apart under the slightest bit of scrutiny. Now we don't hear a peep out of the Irish, I wonder why?:cthulhu:

roronoa3000

Banned
Because you brought race into the discussion of Obama, as many folks like yourself love to, and it backfired.

Obama is not a particularly good President (not the worst) and he's presided over the weakening of America. On top of that, other world leaders know it and have no problem punking him when given the chance. Lastly we are told there's serious talk of a primary challenger in 2012. I don't know if he'll get primaried, but that's the sign of a very weak President if his own base is looking to oust him.

The best part is that folks saying it can't be allowed to happen because black people will stay home in droves, contradicting those who deny blacks are voting based on race. We also have folks like you who love to bring it up randomly, so I'll be laughing when he's headed back to Chicago in 2012.

You'll be weeping.

:facepalm: No.

Yes. Also, don't even bother responding if you aren't going to reply with a cogent argument. I give respect to people who can actually post a rebuttal, even if I don't agree with it. Your one-liners aren't worth a damn. So reply with something worth reading or go eat an ignore (and a dick :1orglaugh).

roronoa3000

Banned
Yes. Also, don't even bother responding if you aren't going to reply with a cogent argument. I give respect to people who can actually post a rebuttal, even if I don't agree with it. Your one-liners aren't worth a damn. So reply with something worth reading or go eat an ignore (and a dick :1orglaugh).

No. :2 cents:

That's also assuming that other people know what the hell they are talking about. I remember quite a lot of Irish people "rubbishing" the United States a few years ago, even though their arguments fell apart under the slightest bit of scrutiny. Now we don't hear a peep out of the Irish, I wonder why?:cthulhu:

Another concern seems to be how the US drastically changes its foreign policy on an issue from one extreme to another. Whether its supporting the Mujahadeen in their fight against the Soviets then accusing them of being a fanatical armed terrorist group years later, supporting Saddam in his fight against Iran and then barely a decade later calling for his removal for being a brutal tyrant (which he always was), the US was quite pro Arab at the time of Israels creation and impartial at best yet now they are staunch allies and there was also a lot of sympathy towards the IRA cause during their terrorist campaigns against the UK (US has a powerful Irish lobby) yet this has also changed in recent years as they sought British support in the war on terrorists ironically. I understand there are many factors that can lead to changes in policy like this but sometimes such drastic U-turns can cause mistrust from foreign observers.

ps I should add that all the good that the US does often gets overshadowed by the negatives effects of their foerign policy, I guess that helps sell more papers:dunno: Whenever there is a natural disaster you can always rely on the US to be the first to offer help and give the most, this should never be forgotten and something Americans should be proud of :clap:

Another concern seems to be how the US drastically changes its foreign policy on an issue from one extreme to another. Whether its supporting the Mujahadeen in their fight against the Soviets then accusing them of being a fanatical armed terrorist group years later, supporting Saddam in his fight against Iran and then barely a decade later calling for his removal for being a brutal tyrant (which he always was), the US was quite pro Arab at the time of Israels creation and impartial at best yet now they are staunch allies and there was also a lot of sympathy towards the IRA cause during their terrorist campaigns against the UK (US has a powerful Irish lobby) yet this has also changed in recent years as they sought British support in the war on terrorists ironically. I understand there are many factors that can lead to changes in policy like this but sometimes such drastic U-turns can cause mistrust from foreign observers.

ps I should add that all the good that the US does often gets overshadowed by the negatives effects of their foerign policy, I guess that helps sell more papers:dunno: Whenever there is a natural disaster you can always rely on the US to be the first to offer help and give the most, this should never be forgotten and something Americans should be proud of :clap:

1.That's going to be a constant problem with the U.S. due to it's structure as a constitutional republic.

2. Not all the Mujahadeen became the Taliban. From what I've read, the U.S. funded Mujahadeen became the Northern Alliance and the Saudi and ISI funded Mujahadeen became the Taliban. Biographies of OBL and peer-reviewed articles seem to confirm this.

3. Sympathy for the IRA came from the U.S. people (mostly Irish Catholics) and not directly from the government as per policy. Remember that Reagan and the Iron Lady were close and this is during much of the troubles. Bill Clinton was important in the Good Friday accords but I think this has been mostly a win for the British people, I admit that I'm not too familiar with what's going on in northern Ireland or the particulars of the deal.

I think the U.S. will continue to make a lot of missteps in middle east policy and this is mostly due to meddling from AIPAC and other Zionist organizations. They don't have the same death grip on American F.P. as it pertains to the Middle East and that's partially due to American fatigue from the GWOT.

Yes, the U.S.A. is pretty bad. A lot of it has always been that way. It's just that in the past too many people were blissfully ignorant and wore rose colored glasses.

They were too influenced by all the people that always pumped the notion that the United States was "the best country in the world" to the point they blindly believed it. They often didn't notice that much of the things that were really good about it at one point have slowly eroded or are now entirely gone. In general Americans maybe more than anybody else like telling themselves they are great, no matter how true or untrue it is. I think the only thing that's changing is that more people are waking up to what's around them and realizing just how crappy things are getting. It's getting so bad even the rose colored glasses are getting their tint bleached away by the light of truth.

Then there is the fact that everyday it seems to be getting much worse not even counting the things we just pretend are good. Everyday we get more and more control over us by the elite and the rich. Our economic system is starting to collapse because too many people are so full of themselves that they can't except that it's not only no longer optimal, but that it was never fair, and is now starting to fail. The greed, selfishness, and an everybody for themselves attitude in this country is starting to take on epic proportions especially for a modern Western nation. The thought of anybody actually sacrificing, and I mean a real sacrifice, for the greater good is almost a thing of the past. All the time there is rationalizations for this or disingenuous things done to make people seem like they aren't like that. In general Americans maybe more than anybody else really like patting themselves on the back when they do some minor thing that makes them look good all the while living their lives and conducting themselves in a manner that does many times more harm than what they do to help people. We like to think of ourselves as good people, no matter how untrue it is.

More of us are starting to learn that many of the people of the United States are just as corrupt, undeserving, lazy, greedy, selfish, arrogant, blind, discriminatory, power hungry, and uncaring as most everybody else in the world and often a lot more so.

Another big problem is nobody really seems to care enough to fix the problems anymore. They either can't do it themselves, want somebody else to do it for them, don't want to do it because it might cost them personally somehow, or just don't care. The U.S.A is like a big train wreck that can be spotted coming far in the distance but nobody with the ability to do so seems to actually want to try and divert it before it happens.

Not only have we brought ourselves down we have used our influence to start bringing much of the world with us.

One thing I hear consistently from people (both on and off this forum) is how bad America is. I grew up in a small town where racism was non-existent and still is.
I have beliefs that the sun will always shine at the end of the day. But I always hear of people complaining of almost anything U.S. policy related. Yes, we have problems but this is nothing new for any country no matter what its age. I would love to see these same people who complain go live in Korea, China, and Canada :D .

I gotta say, I am proud to live in this country. I will take the bad with the good. No country is perfect (except Middle Earth). I won't follow it blindly but that's what this country was founded on, the ability to disagree with management (no matter how unlikely that ability may seem now, it's still there)

Simpleton.

America is a fine country. Some of the people that live there are the problem. But I guess that goes for any country. Except Africa.

I looked at the map and I couldn't find the country of Africa.

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
You're kidding, right?

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I looked at the map and I couldn't find the country of Africa.

Sarah P@lin knows where it is. When she gets done dealing with our allies in North Korea, she'll point out the country of Africa... again.

Which kind of leads to a legitimate criticism of the U.S.: people/kids in the U.S. seem to be getting progressively dumber. I think our little goofballs now rank somewhere around 25th or 27th in global rankings of math & science. As a country, we're approaching a state of not being able to add or subtract, our elected officials don't know a country from continent... but that's OK because most of us don't know who our elected officials are anyway. Ignorance really is bliss.