• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

In Your Opinion Is There A Difference Between A Liberal And A Progressive?

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
I'm a bit Right of Center and I ask this question respectfully of who it will apply. I live in California and over the years I have become familiar with people who call themselves Liberals. Seems the term Progressive is something I hear more now. Is there a difference between a Liberal and a Progressive? This is purely from an American perspective and is opinion only.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
I personally am unable to disagree with @xfire. From a purely semantic point of view, the terms are interchangeable.

In usage today, Progressive (large P) seems to imply a farther left ideology: Say AOC versus Biden.

Some Progressives will split the hair though:
https://the2020progressive.com/difference-liberal-progressive/

The main thesis of TR’s 1912 platform:
To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.

It took a few decades, but many of the Party’s ideas were implemented.

Last edited:

Theopolis Q. Hossenffer

Every Nation Needs a God-Emperor!
I personally am unable to disagree with @xfire. From a purely semantic point of view, the terms are interchangeable.

In usage today, Progressive (large P) seems to imply a farther left ideology: Say AOC versus Biden.

Some Progressives will split the hair though:
https://the2020progressive.com/difference-liberal-progressive/

The main thesis of TR’s 2012 platform:
To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.

It took a few decades, but many of the Party’s ideas were implemented.
TR's 1912 Platform. You got my hopes up again that TR was back. With Harry Shitass Truman as VP. (My Mother's name for old Harry)

Last edited:
For the record and for transparency I do consider myself as somebody that classifies themselves as progressive, or at least that's the closest term in prevalent use that applies to me. I don't consider myself as "liberal" as it relates to today, and I sure as hell don't consider myself a Democrat.

In practical modern day terminology of the last few years I would say there is definitely a difference between the two and that's especially seen as more true to people that self classify themselves as progressive. A lot of people I would classify "liberal" or maybe more accurately "neoliberal" anymore are pretty much Republican-lite other than a few social issues. They are surprisingly conservative on economic issues and are very heavily influenced by corporations and lobbyist. They are almost as out of touch with the lives and needs of normal people as Republicans are. Hence why a lot of progressives will also use the term "Corporatist Democrats" for them as they have become so corrupted by donor money from corporations and the rich elite, and that's whom they serve the most.

I'm not just using the Republican-lite moniker as an insult. If you go back about four or more decades besides those few social issues the liberals of today are pretty much the Republicans of forty years ago to show how screwed up things have become. What I would think of as what liberal used to be before the neoliberal dumfuckery started in the Democratic Party one would have to go back to FDR economic positions or at least the sixties at best, and most progressives I see want at least that if not to go to European style social democracies as what we have now in the US has been shown wanting and has proven itself to be an utter failure.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Maybe I'm missing something here or is @bubb trying to confuse us? I know he confused me.
TR's 1912 Platform. You got my hopes up again that TR was back. With Harry Shitass Truman as VP. (My Mother's name for old Harry)
You have the wrong Roosevelt.

Theodore Roosevelt was President from September 14, 1901 to March 4, 1909. He took over for William McKinley who was assassinated. He was elected in 1904 (in his second term). Charles Fairbanks was his Vice President in the second term. He had no Vice President during McKinley's remaining term (from 1901-1904.)

Theodore Roosevelt was known in history for the the Spanish-American War, and being the President known as "the Trust Buster" - breaking up the railroads. (among them the Northern Pacific Railway, Great Northern Railway, and Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad) owned by E. H. Harriman, James Hill and J.P. Morgan respectively and Standard Oil, (the country's largest oil and refinery company) owned by John D. Rockefeller.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt would have been the President from March 4, 1933 to April 12, 1945. John N. Garner, Henry A. Wallace would be his Vice Presidents in earlier terms. Harry S. Truman (the "S" means nothing ) was his Vice President during his last term in 1945.

Franklin D. Roosevelt was known in history for the New Deal, in helping stopping the Great Depression and for World War II having Congress declare war on Germany, Italy and Japan. After the December 7, 1941 attack of Pearl Harbor.

Last edited:

Theopolis Q. Hossenffer

Every Nation Needs a God-Emperor!
Maybe I'm missing something here or is @bubb trying to confuse us? I know he confused me.

You have the wrong Roosevelt.

Theodore Roosevelt was President from September 14, 1901 to March 4, 1909. He took over for William McKinley who was assassinated. He was elected in 1904 (in his second term). Charles Fairbanks was his Vice President in the second term. He had no Vice President during McKinley's remaining term (from 1901-1904.)

Theodore Roosevelt was known in history for the the Spanish-American War, and being the President known as "the Trust Buster" - breaking up the railroads. (among them the Northern Pacific Railway, Great Northern Railway, and Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad) owned by E. H. Harriman, James Hill and J.P. Morgan respectively and Standard Oil, (the country's largest oil and refinery company) owned by John D. Rockefeller.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt would have been the President from March 4, 1933 to April 12, 1945. John N. Garner, Henry A. Wallace would be his Vice Presidents in earlier terms. Harry S. Truman (the "S" means nothing ) was his Vice President during his last term in 1945.

Franklin D. Roosevelt was known in history for the New Deal, in helping stopping the Great Depression and for World War II having Congress declare war on Germany, Italy and Japan. After the December 7, 1941 attack of Pearl Harbor.
Thank you for the history lesson. I was speaking of gmase's remark about TR in 2012. Perhaps he meant another TR but what came to my mind was Teddy who did battle the enormous industries of the day and that day was in the early 1900's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Nationalism_(Theodore_Roosevelt)

See the section about Trust busting and regulation.

So in my mind I have the right Roosevelt.
So let me know if I am wrong about this and I will send virtual flowers to all in abject apology.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
Thank you for the history lesson. I was speaking of gmase's remark about TR in 2012. Perhaps he meant another TR but what came to my mind was Teddy who did battle the enormous industries of the day and that day was in the early 1900's.
That was the final straw. I fired my prior editor and will hire a new one in short order. My error has been fixed.

:brick:

Something that strikes me all the time is that, in english (at least US english) "liberal" refers to the social aspect of liberalism which is about welfare-state, progressivism, etc. Basically, liberal = left-wing
In France, "libéral" refers to the economic aspect of liberalism, which is about free-market. Basically, liberal = right-wing.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Something that strikes me all the time is that, in english (at least US english) "liberal" refers to the social aspect of liberalism which is about welfare-state, progressivism, etc. Basically, liberal = left-wing
In France, "libéral" refers to the economic aspect of liberalism, which is about free-market. Basically, liberal = right-wing.

Oui, Oui, y'all do it all wrong over there. 😂