• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

I'm Starting To Think Birthdays And Christmas Would Be Easier If We Were Poor

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
It's so difficult to buy presents for people who already have everything plus have more disposable income in case they want something else. Both of us order stuff from Amazon and Walmart all the time. We both have everything we need and want. What do you do especially when your wife's birthday and Christmas are in the same month?

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
My family has a rule. No one over 13 gets presents from everyone, what their parents do is up to them. The moms and dads buy gifts for each others families, but no one goes overboard, The exception is the mother/mother in law, everyone buys her something. My wife and I do not exchange gifts, we just get what we want over the course of the year. Birthday parties stop at 16, and gift giving by anyone but the parents isn't mandatory anymore, except for mom again. We all take care of her really well, she's a jewel. The thing I miss though is, she used to make each one of her kids their favorite meal for dinner, which was awesome for me, because my wife always got pork roast, kraut, dumplings and roasted potatoes. The first year we were married, I decimated it, and there were no left overs. The next year she bought and made 2 roasts, and doubled everything. She's in her early 80's now, so that's just a passing memory, and for holidays everyone else makes something. I'm either making kielbasa and kraut, or the turkey, depending on what she wants me to do. The first Christmas after we moved into the house we live in now we hosted, and I cooked everything. I did pasta. chicken parm, sausage & peppers, and a tomato, basil, mozzarella salad. They're all Polish, so I told them sausage and peppers, is Italian kielbasa and kraut.

Great post, Mr Dayster. In December I pay property taxes for 2 buildings plus December is Christmas and my wife's birthday. My mind is going bonkers. I admit we exchange our share of gift cards.

My wife bought me not one but two Apple watches. The battery on both sucks and I never wear either. It's like we buy stuff for each other to just buy something to get us past the date. I love my wife a ton and wish I had better solutions. Girl's got a heart of gold and is very generous.

Mr. Daystar

Great post, Mr Dayster. In December I pay property taxes for 2 buildings plus December is Christmas and my wife's birthday. My mind is going bonkers. I admit we exchange our share of gift cards.

My wife bought me not one but two Apple watches. The battery on both sucks and I never wear either. It's like we buy stuff for each other to just buy something to get us past the date. I love my wife a ton and wish I had better solutions. Girl's got a heart of gold and is very generous.
Why don't you sit her down and explain what a hectic month it is, and suggest you either move Christmas to new years eve, or you just buy each other one small thing for Christmas, and get each other something at intervals during the year. Or a present on specified holidays, except her birthday, which you can't change. That might cut down on the stress both financially, and mentally. That is a shit load of financial burden for one month, and if you can distribute it a little better, it might lighten the pain in your brain.

Why don't you sit her down and explain what a hectic month it is, and suggest you either move Christmas to new years eve, or you just buy each other one small thing for Christmas, and get each other something at intervals during the year. Or a present on specified holidays, except her birthday, which you can't change. That might cut down on the stress both financially, and mentally. That is a shit load of financial burden for one month, and if you can distribute it a little better, it might lighten the pain in your brain.

The financial part with the bad timing of the property taxes just adds to the mental part. If I knew what to get my wife I would gladly spend whatever. I got a good dinner package reserved today so it wasn't a total loss.

Mr. Daystar

Well that's what I'm saying Dino, move something. If you don't want to rearrange holiday, and birthdates, pay the taxes in November. If you go on line, they'll show you what's due, so pay it early, and let December just cruise on down the river of family joy.

Mr. Daystar

As my parents aged, and I realized "they HAVE everything they want, or they CAN purchase whatever they want.." - I bought them experiences. Gift cards to the movies; gift certificate to their favorite restaurant; etc. Try that, instead.
That's another good idea. I've done that for my wife in the past. A gift card to her favorite clothing store, or a pre-paid Mastercard. In all the years together she has NEVER told me what size she wears, and she is picky as hell when it comes to clothes, especially work attire. And if that doesn't work.........jewelry always does. for the last 10 years my father in law was alive, my wife bought him gift cards to Dick's sporting goods, because he had more shirts and pants then any one man needs, and she knows nothing about hunting and fishing gear.

My family also has a rule where people basically stop getting presents for Christmas once they are an adult. Presents are mostly something only children get. In the rare event where somebody want to get a present for another adult it's usually on the scale of pack of socks or some similar item in price.

It's ends up being more like a second Thanksgiving where a bunch of people get together to eat a huge meal.

Mr. Daystar

My family also has a rule where people basically stop getting presents for Christmas once they are an adult. Presents are mostly something only children get. In the rare event where somebody want to get a present for another adult it's usually on the scale of pack of socks or some similar item in price.

It's ends up being more like a second Thanksgiving where a bunch of people get together to eat a huge meal.
The last few years we've done this thing called a "white elephant". Every couple or individual brings something from their house they don't want, or use, or buys something no more then $10.00. Then we get a clothes basket, a pair of dice, and pass it around. If you roll doubles, you pick a prize. Either by couple, or individual, depending on who brings something to the game.