• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

iceberg

not funny i know but interesting ! an iceberg below and above the waterline

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 389
I think the approximation I heard was 1/3rd is above water. If that picture is real, that blows that value out of the water ... haha?

I thought it was funny.

waltercoffman said:
Gotta be fake - how is the iceberg lit from below?
good point... i ahve seen this pic before not sure if its real, but interesting

Chewy said:
It dosen't have to be real, just showing you what they look like. I have heard that the part under the water can be 40 times+ bigger then the part above the water on the discovery channel.
ah the discovery channel, my home away from home

Could be a false light image for the part that's submerged; you know, just so that you can actually see it. It may even be a negative image, but then, the ice would possibly be the same colour as the water...

God, I'm such a geek...

First, the picture is fake. It is a composite photograph compiled for a motivational poster.

Second, ice will float with 8.7% of the ice above water. Calculation is like this:

density of water (at 4 degrees celcius -- the densest temp. for H20): 1.0 g/mL
density of ice (at 0 degrees celcius): 0.92 g/mL

1.0 / 0.92 = 1.0869... or 108.7%

in other words, the same mass of liquid water occupies 108.7% of its original volume when frozen.

Since we are being geeks here, think about this: Water/ice is the only substance that expands when it freezes. All other substances occupy less space when it is a solid then when it is a liquid and are therefore more dense when a solid. If this were the case with water, lakes would freeze solid in the winter since as the surface freezes it would sink and allow more ice to form and sink... and so on. This unusual property of water allows life to survive in lakes that have frozen over since the layer of ice protects the deeper water from freezing.

incredible... science can be cool sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator:
greenery_spliff said:
some people really do take things WAY too serious
thats what this board is all about.

if you post somethin even in funny pics, you will have people approaching it from different ways.

too serious nah, just differing opinions... thats what makes this board great!

The water clarity would have to be incredible to get a picture like that.

Also, you can see a little stripe of the sea surface going across the picture under the iceberg, which would mean the camera is out of the water. If it was, you wouldn't be able to get a picture of anything under the surface.

Fake.

The sunrays going through the water are a giveaway..
The iceberg has shadows suggesting .the sun is at an angle