• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

How tall can buildings get anyway?

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2012/08/there-limit-how-tall-buildings-can-get/2963/

The race is always on. Within the span of just two years, the world's tallest building was built three times in New York City – the 282.5-meter Bank of Manhattan in 1930, the 319-meter Chrysler Building in a few months after, and then 11 months later the 381-meter Empire State Building in 1931. The era of architectural horse-racing and ego-boosting has only intensified in the decades since. In 2003, the 509-meter Taipei 101 unseated the 452-meter Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur after a seven-year reign as the world's tallest. In 2010, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai far surpassed Taipei 101, climbing up to 828 meters. Bold builders in China want to go 10 meters higher later this year with a 220-story pre-fab tower that can be constructed in a baffling 90 days. And then, in 2018, the Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia will go significantly farther, with a proposed height of at least 1,000 meters.*

Will this race ever stop? Not in the foreseeable future, at least. But there has to be some sort of end point, some highest possible height that a building can reach. There will eventually be a world's tallest building that is unbeatably the tallest, because there has to be an upper limit. Right?

Cool read!!

Thanks for the read!!

I was on the Burj Kalifa last year and I can only say its NUTS! Like you really cant imagine how high it is until you are up there looking down on all the skyscrapers around it.

some pics I took

302086_10150496671086679_1029340522_n.jpg

313045_10150496670871679_74200244_n.jpg

Nuts I tell you :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's insane. I was at the Willis Tower last summer and it's really an odd feeling seeing the tops of huge sky scrapers way below you.

That's insane. I was at the Willis Tower last summer and it's really an odd feeling seeing the tops of huge sky scrapers way below you.

It really is insane, the elevator ride up is a trip on its own with a light show and music :D

What about lack of oxygen at higher altitudes? :dunno: Even though the finished product will have air conditioner and will probably be pressurized, workers would have to wear oxygen masks to build it. I mean, if you got to invest in space suits for the construction workers to wear during construction, that's the limit. :tongue:

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I think that at some point, architecture will reach its peak when they try to build a building that can withstand the wind that will make the construction sway and eventually break if it gets too heavy.

Taipei 101 has a smart basic design, with the bamboo core idea and the pendulum that can make the swing get worked out, but at some point, even those concepts won't help no more

DR. B

Closed Account
if we keep building to the heavens, this so called God is going to make us speak different languages so we couldn't communicate with each other rendering us dysfunctional..... oh wait, that's right....