• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

How have you dealt with family/friends with dementia/Alzheimer's?

Sorry for the serious topic, but have you guys had experience dealing with family/friends with dementia/Alzheimer's?
It can range from simply not being able to hold a conversation because they forget what you said a minute ago, all they way to forgetting who their family (including you) are.

Looking to hear your experiences and advice on how you dealt with it.

Thanks,

My Grand-Ma died rom Alzheimer a few years ago. Her long-ter memory was pretty damaged, to the pint where she did not recognised anyone, not me, not her children, not even her husband to whicch she'd been married for about 60 years. Fortunately (I think... ) it did not lasted very long, about 2 years after she was dignosed she was gone. I was a distant relative, I use to see her a few hours every 3-6 monthes so I couldn't tell you much...

Not exactly the sae kind of issue but a, few monthes ago, my father had his 4th stroke. Left him with hemiplegia (his entire right side is paralysed).

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
My Aunt Mary was getting it towards the end, but she was already in a great nursing home. I gotta be honest, in that I wasn't the best at facing shit like this head on, and hid in a bottle A LOT. DO NOT DO THAT> Especially if you have a spouse, The only thing I can say for sure is, get her name on the list of a good nursing home right away, so if it's needed, you won't have to settle for a shitty place, and the more attention and care you show her, will translate to better care at the facility. It's sad to say, but the more you care, the better they will take care of your loved one, But whatever happens, I wish you and your loved one, Gods kindness, this won't be easy, and you will get frustrated, and probably a little angry at times, but all you can do outside of patience and understanding, is make sure they get the best care you can get them.

Thanks guys,

I've had to deal with it over the years with a mix a family and friends. Luckily I'm not the one directly responsible for their care, so I don't need to make the call on assisted living, daily care, etc.

But I do go see and/or talk to them IRL or virtually, and that's where it gets tough. They generally know who I am, although sometimes it takes a couple seconds to click-in. But I'm seeing it get worse in some of them, so I'm wondering if you guys had experience/tips on what worked for you when interacting with them. I've tried different things, like bringing photos, Zooming instead of calling etc. Basically whatever might jog their mind to get the conversation going, but not overload them which could do more harm than good. It's a tough balance.