• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Hobbit Star Finds Tolien 'Unreadable'

C.K. Lawrence

Closed Account
Billy Connolly Finds Tolkien ‘Unreadable,’ Stars in The Hobbit

a_250x375.jpg
When we ran into Billy Connolly last night at the premiere of Won't Back Down, we wondered: Doesn't he need to be back in New Zealand soon to continue his role as Dain Ironfoot in Peter Jackson's newly three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit? "Oh yes!" he confirmed. "I have to go back for that. I haven't done [the battle scenes] yet. I have to get battle-ready! I ride into war on a wild pig!" So, how many times has Connolly read The Hobbit? "I've never read The Hobbit. Never." What about Lord of the Rings? "Never read Lord of the Rings," replied the 69-year-old Scottish actor. "I could never read Tolkien. I always found him unreadable … I didn't read [the books], and I normally don't like people who have! The people who love it, they're kind of scary. They talk all this gobbledygook and they think of it as the Holy Grail."

More Here

Well, his tales were kind of long I guess. . .

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
Who is this Tolien?

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Then he shouldn't be in the movie.

Billy Connolly heckled off stage for second time in a week. Link

After some of the movies he's been in how can he say the Hobbit is "unreadable" ?

Mayhem

Banned
I have probably read the entire collection (Hobbit, LotR, Silmarillion, and all appendices) over 100 times. I kind of have the opposite view. The books are terrific, the movies kinda blow.

Edit: And we do NOT speak "gobbledygook",...........that's a Harry Potter language. :thefinger:

Hondarobot

Banned
Well, the character of Tom Bombadil was kinda stupid. In the books Gandalf pretty much said "fuck that guy, he'd just lose the ring"

C.K. Lawrence

Closed Account
Yeah but my point was more towards that he was in the book and I can completely understand and do know folks who hate the movie and love the book. I enjoyed both by the way.

I have probably read the entire collection (Hobbit, LotR, Silmarillion, and all appendices) over 100 times.

What about the Book of Lost Tales? History of Middle Earth collection? How about History of the Lord of the Rings? Unfinished Tales, maybe? What about his other works? You know, Farmer Giles of Ham, Smith of Wooton Major, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? Ever read any of them? :dunno:

Mayhem

Banned
What about the Book of Lost Tales? History of Middle Earth collection? How about History of the Lord of the Rings? Unfinished Tales, maybe? What about his other works? You know, Farmer Giles of Ham, Smith of Wooton Major, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? Ever read any of them? :dunno:

Farmer Giles of Ham, I have never read for reasons...i dunno. Never got around to it and probably because it doesn't "fit" in with the rest of the story line.

The Book of Lost Tales - I think i gave it a try a gave up. Just couldn't get into it.

Basically I've just read what I listed....many, many times. It was good enough for me. And The Silmarillion is quite the handful, especially if you're going to treat it like a "history", which I did.

It's been many years since my last read-thru. I may have to give it another go. :)

Farmer Giles of Ham, I have never read for reasons...i dunno. Never got around to it and probably because it doesn't "fit" in with the rest of the story line.

The Book of Lost Tales - I think i gave it a try a gave up. Just couldn't get into it.

Basically I've just read what I listed....many, many times. It was good enough for me. And The Silmarillion is quite the handful, especially if you're going to treat it like a "history", which I did.

It's been many years since my last read-thru. I may have to give it another go. :)

If you do, I would highly recommend Unfinished Tales. While it's frustrating that the stories just end abruptly without a conclusion, some of the greatest stories he ever wrote (or started to, anyway) are included. The only description of the gates leading to Gondolin, an account of the fall of Gondolin, an account of Beren's journey into Angband to get one of the Silmarils from Morgoth, and other great stories are told. It's probably my favorite of Tolkien's books. :thumbsup: