• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Hey Fellas, You Like Relish On A Hot Dog?

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
Y'know, I don't mind relish. I mean if someone hands me a hot dog with relish on it I would eat it. If there was a hot dog I liked on a menu that included relish I'd ask for everything including relish. But, if I'm out at the ballpark and I order a hot dog I go to the condiment station and put ketchup and mustard, sometimes onions, but no relish.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
You're like me on that then. What I don't like is ketchup and mustard on it at the same time. If its a dog with the works, I'll let it slide. But, if I'm being choosey, I'll opt for chilli, onions, maybe a touch of a brown mustard. I do like onions. Not much for ketchup on them though.

How about Chicago dogs? I like all that shit on there.

Hot dogs can totally be their own thread.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
A hot dog thread. Brilliant. I hate relish on anything. Please don't make this a relish thread.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
A hot dog thread. Brilliant. I hate relish on anything. Please don't make this a relish thread.

We should also discuss relish on burgers. There's only one place I'll deal with that sorta shit.

I'm like you guys in that area, you wouldn't catch me at the condiment counter putting relish on purpose. But would never turn down a free dog if it had relish. I would even relish the moment ;)

Yeah, relish and mustard would be my favorite on hot dogs, right above chili dogs then sauerkraut coming in a distant third.

as an aside, I can't fathom putting ketchup on a hot dog, yet have no qualms about dipping sliced hot dogs in ketchup.

go figure.

Relish is seldom available to me when hot dogs are sold to me so I've never thought about it. Onions, and mustard if there's no brown sauce. But sausages in bread need brown sauce if it's there.

332316-HP-Brown-Sauce-600g.jpg

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
1. Pickle relish, and ketchup on hamburgers and a bun. Sometimes pickle relish and mustard on hamburgers. Sometimes mustard alone.

2. Pickle relish and mustard on frankfurters with a bun. Sometimes with sauerkraut too. Sometimes mustard alone. I'll eat sauteed onions on a frankfurter and a bun with nothing else.

3. But never chili with frankfurters. Looks disgusting. (Same with having cut up hot dogs in baked beans. I'll eat them but I won't like it.)

Relish is seldom available to me when hot dogs are sold to me so I've never thought about it. Onions, and mustard if there's no brown sauce. But sausages in bread need brown sauce if it's there.

332316-HP-Brown-Sauce-600g.jpg

The only and only HP sauce. Great on bacon butty as well. None of this Tommy K shite.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
As long as it's not too much, I'll eat a hotdog with relish, but I don't request it. I prefer chili (with beans is OK), mustard, onions and slaw. I'm happy enough with that.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
No. On a cheap hot dog, mustard only. On a quality hot dog I will put mustard, onions, chili, shredded cheese, and mild, or hot pepper rings....in various combinations, depending on the dog, and the type of bun. Obviously, a large quality dog, on a nice toasted kaiser roll, I will use them all, and eat it with a knife and fork.

I don't like relish at all. It's basically sugarfied vegetable goop. I tend to like my hot dogs more on the plain side with mustard. If I'm feeling a little adventurous I might put some cheese or chili on it, and in the rare instances I'm really going to go all out I might put some hot pepper slices or a little bit of onion on them, but that's where I draw the line. The times when I'm eating a hot dog or some other similar sausage type of thing I want to eat the meat, and not some weird salad like concoction of ingredients with the hot dog some place within it.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Condiments? Do you even condiment, bro?!
There is no 'true' one size fits all condiment, of anything. Even ketchup is.. shall we say, context-sensitive.
Mustard? Normal? Sweet? Spicy? Stone-ground? Grey-Poupon? You cannot discount mustard simply because you almost.. always.. will get offered bullshit-assed mustard. Heinz might make a 'table-friendly' mustard, and it fits a few palates ~ but fucks over many, many more. It isnt a mouth-natural flavor, which brings to mind Indian spice mixes ~ they are acquired tastes, outside of India.

Ketchup? Normal? Sweet? Roma? Sun-dried? Tabasco? Sriracha?

Mayo? Egg-heavy or egg-lite? Creamy or thick? Greasy or oily? Black finely ground pepper or coarse? (The answer is coarse, btw. Dont fuck up my pepper fetish.)

Bun? Wheat? Rye? Toasted? Buttered? Normal butter or clarified? Margarine or ... whatever that dollar-store bullshit is. (Srsly, look at the label of your butter and see if it is ACTUAL or just some mutant vegetable spread horse shit. They are trying to sneak in other kinds of ingredients, these days.)

And yeah.. relish. Honestly I have a ton of respect for cucumber-based condiments. Two of the absolute best ingredients I've ever tried were a cucumber-wasabi dressing (fuckin' fire, man. So fresh, so crisp.)
And a horseradish-pickle-coarse black pepper-sweetstyle concoction that I now put on fuggin EVERYTHING. Like.. bread'n'butter is nice, if you have no choice.. but wow, there should really, REALLY be labels to describe what kinda relish is in that bottle.
Bitter? Sweet? Vinegar content, acidity..

Anyway, long story made short.. I have no respect for the generic bullshit that is often found in family restaurant table-loadouts ~ you turn people off to other flavors, for the rest of their lives.
Some of the worst smells and flavors.. are never, ever matched with their respective true foods.
Hate red wine? Pair it with creamy pasta or fish.
Hate mustard? Hide it under a po' boy / cuban, and let the flavor roll around.. with the other ingredients. You'll never hate a subtle, spicy mustard again.
Love A1 sauce? Go kill yourself.
Hate the smell of malt vinegar? Spritz a few drops on your fries, instead of the fish.. in that next fish'n'chips. Spritz the fish with lemon or lime. The flavor will joyfully mesh, in that middle.

*ends my preaching, clicks reply* Food is life. Food is love. Also Shrek. But whatevs.