• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Greetings, ex Redditors!

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Seeing as how reddit is about dead (forever?), You'll be needing a new place to be downvoted for unpopular opinions and dank memes!

Welcome! Announce yerselves!

https://www.twitch.tv/reddark_247

That link shows a running count of how many subreddits remain blacked out and it is decreasing steadily. It is hilarious that a bunch of unpaid volunteers thought they had more say over the site than the actual admins.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Sadness. Can't anyone organize an actual protest?

Jesus, kids these days. 48 hours wont do anything and the "indefinitely" crowd had the right idea.

Some of my other boards got way more traffic due to reddit closing their subs. I suppose there simply isnt enough shitposting or rom hacks, here.

"Sadness. Can't anyone organize an actual protest?" Uh .. you DID see that Bud Light is no longer the best selling beer in the US, right?

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
"Sadness. Can't anyone organize an actual protest?" Uh .. you DID see that Bud Light is no longer the best selling beer in the US, right?
That's a conservative protest. They can stop buying things with their maga bucks and send an overnight point.

Reddit is still free, so 48 hours of lost ad revenue is... Negligible. :\

I'm still on the lib side, here - i just wish they knew how to do a damned.. Anything. They don't haff consistency unless it's lgbt or sex.

*In my humble opinion, reddit is mostly a liberal haven that is feeling the capitalism grip and thinks that making a quiet protest or going private subs will do a thing. Meanwhile the ads on that private sub still function.

https://www.twitch.tv/reddark_247

That link shows a running count of how many subreddits remain blacked out and it is decreasing steadily. It is hilarious that a bunch of unpaid volunteers thought they had more say over the site than the actual admins.
All the ones I cared about were back up within the 48 hours. And they even telegraphed when they would be back.
It's true that if they wanted to make an actual impact, they should have gone longer. I would have held out for at least a week, minimum.

So, what I don't understand if somebody was going to do a boycott why the hell would they:

1. Only do it for 48 hours, and
2. Even worse mention they have a time limit and what it is before hand.

I'd wish them luck, but frankly that seems very tactically stupid. That's not something people that are serious about it would do, that's something somebody does to virtue signal. Any organization that's being protested against is just going to wait something that absurd out.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Reddit had an absolute right to their income - they place ads all over.

What i don't approve of is that they main thing they'll be selling is the years of demographics that they didn't create - the users did.

They've had years and years to create a client program that isn't garbage. The third party apps fulfilled a need. Scraping the pages is a quick and easy fix!

But they don't see it that way, and reddit wants to charge the 3rd party apps for API access.

I'll side with the naysayers on this one - they simply don't know how to say "forget about it" and move on to a BB that serves their needs

It honestly doesn't take much to set one up, serve the ads and maintain each fandom. But #convenience

What I don't understand is why Reddit doesn't forcibly unlock the subreddits. The site admin would have the rights to do so, and the "strikers" are just volunteer mods, it's not like they're paid or have a right to collective bargaining.

Most social boards don't give volunteer mods to lock entire boards, and so taking away that "feature" wouldn't necessarily be detrimental for the site.